RAID 0 Guide: Set-up, OS installation, and Optimization

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by chainbolt, Jun 6, 2002.

1. GDavid

GDavid Member

Shame there's been no reply, that's about what I have... lol
    Thanks,
    GDavid

2. terroristone

terroristone Member

im interested in this as well, i used to use 64k but after a board changed i reinstalled and was half asleep and didn't realise i set 128k (finding it slow as), and i also use windows xp sp2 so im guessing my cluster size is 4k, i've been looking around and im thinking of going to a 16k stripe, should i go to a 16k cluster size as well? or just stay with 4k.
    Regards Andrew

3. standby.

standby. Member

raid 0 help

hey guys,

i need help with this... :Paranoid:

i recently bought 2x WD Caviar Black 750GB drives to run in raid 0
    i went to the raid controller built in to my motherboard (gigabyte x58-ud5) and setup raid 0, it didn't have options for the stripe sizes etc but i setup raid 0, the preset was called 'performance'
    so then i installed windows 7 on that but now when i open up my computer it is saying that the drive is 1.36tb which tells me i did something wrong...

i also ran HDTune

heres two screenshots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks

please help

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  4. Oblivion-330

Oblivion-330 Member

<Snip>

Your drive being 1.36TB is perfectly fine, assuming you just made a single partition. I know that with my motherboard (P5Q-Deluxe) the SATA ports connected to the ICH10R perform better than the dedicated 2 SATA RAID ports that use an inferior controller. Its worth a shot giving the normal SATA ports on your motherboard a shot and see how the performance pans out.

5. CHiMPY

CHiMPY Member

Not sure if this is the best place to put this but I'll give it a shot.

I just bought to 300GB 10k raptops and have set them up in RAID0 on my GA-EX58-UD3R.
    When attempting to install Windows 7 64bit I am having all kinds of problems getting the drivers for the array to load.

All the version I have tried (cd that came with the board plus latest versions from the gigabyte site) give me an error about not being signed.

I managed to get one to install and show the array which then lets the windows install copy and extract the files. Once it reboots I get an error that windows is unable to start then says

File: \Windows\system32\DRIVERS\jraid.sys

Info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing, or corrupt.

Anyone able to help? It is driving me insane.

6. TURNnBURN

TURNnBURN Member

Did you start by using the Control & I key at the bios boot to build the Raid?

Also use the Intel controller along with there IRST Manager and allow cashe write read back will increase the performance HUGE... Link below in my share file.

http://www.4shared.com/file/239039531/814d5e42/_2__motherboard_driver_intel_s.html

7. Moshie

Moshie Member

Say you had one hdd with data on it and you bought another and wanted to setup a RAID0 will the data on the original hdd be lost?

8. SamBoio

SamBoio Member

I'm getting this same issue with my setup.
    I have an Asus M3A mobo, with 3 WD 500GB sata drives. Setting up the raid 0 config in the bios is no issue, I get that working fine.
    But installing the OS just doesn't work.
    I've tried XP 32, Vista 32 and 64, and Win7 64. Vista 32 was the only one that recognised the driver on my boot disk, but still came up with an error afterwards.
    Was close to pulling my hair out last night.
    Any suggestions? are there any generic drivers that work with most motherboards that I could try? Mine doesn't allow for creation of win7 boot disks (understandable since Win7 wasn't out when this board was released). Just strange that the vista and XP drivers also failed

9. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

Yes. Unless you have some extremely u-beaut controller that will build a raid 0 array in the way you outline. I sincerely doubt it though. Raid 1 (a simple mirror) perhaps but not raid 0.

Raid 0 scatters (almost) everything you send to the array across the drives in the array. By being able to write to and read from multiple locations the overall speed of the system increases. Starting with everything on just one drive is counter to this kind of system. Half the data would need to be moved to the new drive somehow.

Have a bit of a google around on what Raid 0 is if this explanation is not perfectly clear.

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  10. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

I know this is not what you want to hear but, for the time being you could put windows on a small single partition and then raid the remaining space (even in software under windows).

I know it won't help with windows start time etc. but you can even put your browser, caches, swap file etc. on the raid partition. Better than no raid at all?

If all else fails a small SSD for boot and a raid raptor setup for most other things would be pretty awesome too.

Good luck with it.

M

11. Kickdruminertia

Kickdruminertia Member

Apologise for the noob question gents but i assure you I have scoured this thread and it does not seem to be addressed so I request your enlightenment on the following:

Can SATA devices of different internal sata controllers be raided together on the same raid controller, or on any kind of raid controller?

I ask because I have a shitty OCZ 60 gig SSD on a JMicron controller and When I buy a newer, nicer SSD on a different controller, Can i raid them to get the benefits of the combined space and speed without them both suffering from the woeful 4k random read/write and shitty stuttering issues of the 60 gig ?

Thanks in advance, gents!

12. SamBoio

SamBoio Member

I figured out my issue last night. For some reason my SATA DVD drive was the issue, even though it wasn't part of the RAID.
    After finding the correct RAID driver and using an IDE DVD drive, I got Win7 to install properly onto the RAID.

I haven't done much testing yet, but so far it hasn't given the performance boost that I had hoped for.

13. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

Perhaps it was trying to include it in the array. Weird. Well done with the trouble shooting :)

14. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

It could work. It probably would work (depending on exactly how you tried to set it up). Though I would expect the combined performance of the old drive and the new drive together to be pegged back to a great extent by the old drive's performance. As could the total available space (again depending on how you do it - at best you might be able to keep any extra space on the new drive in an unraided partition).

That said, I would not do it. No way :)

In fact back in the day I used to make sure the drives had the same firmware to be sure that neither drive would be waiting for the other (RAID 0)

15. dimofoes

dimofoes Member

is it possible to create a RAID 0 configuration with SSDs and HDDs in the one setup????

16. ice_cool

ice_cool Member

i think it would be possible just like u can use different hard drives - but why would u bother doing such a thing?

17. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

Agreed! Any half decent SSD would spend a lot of time waiting.

18. sub.mesa

sub.mesa Member

You can use SSDs to act as large cache device to a RAID5 array, such as implemented by ZFS and soon Btrfs.

The SSD in that case would be used for random accesses, which the HDDs are terribly slow at. Sequential access will not be accelerated; no need. This would considerably speed up iSCSI images that act as system drive for several disk-less workstations that boot from the network and acquire their system disk via iSCSI, stored on ZFS.

I'm using such a setup, and SSDs significantly increase speed by caching random reads.

19. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Gonna bump this sticky here, with my question:

I'm going to raid 0 a pair of 300gb drives, but they aren't going to be the OS drive (SSD will be).

Should I just install the SSD only to start with, and install W7 on it's own, and once it's installed, then setup the raid for the 2x300gb drives?

20. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

Seems reasonable to me :) It might be interesting to try doing raid with both the controller and using windows software raid and comparing speed.

I have never done software raid because, back in the day, I booted off the array. However, I imagine software raid is less arcane and perhaps not hardware dependent (I never knew how I would go if I tried to transport my raid array from highpoint hardware to a different brand ifmy mobo failed - though I thought it would not go well!) As I understand it for software raid under Windows you just need the drives to present seperately as per usual and then get to work with the raid setup.

This blog suggests that software raid is a workable option. Would be interested in any benchies you do if you try both.