RAID 0 Guide: Set-up, OS installation, and Optimization

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by chainbolt, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Skramit

Skramit Member

HI,

I have 3 x WD 500 AAKS drives I thought might go well as RAID 0 for my next build.

Simply put, is 3 drives 50% faster than 2 drives in RAID 0? Or is there diminishing returns for RAID 0? Worth my while going 3 drives?? I have plenty of space in my stacker case.

Any advice?

Also, given these drives are now about 3 years old, would 1 x newer WD Black for example be faster than RAID 0 for these older drives?

Cheers.

2. Johnny87au

Johnny87au New Member

great guide, finally a guide i can bookmark :cool:

3. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Has the conecpt changed? Thread started some 8 years ago.

4. kilebantick

kilebantick Member

Well, i did something similar to this with two 500Gig HDD's i picked up. One's a samsung, one's a WD. Went from a 100MBps transfer speed. Plugged in the WD, set up a raid volume (Formatted of course), installed of course, and jumped all the way up to 160! Fluffin sweet it was. Stripe size of 8 i think. Anyone know if i would benefit more from a 16 or 36k stripe?

Mine you, i know NOTHING about RAID really. Just know how to create the volume and that's it! Fluffing good job for a newbie i think!

5. Director

Director Member

Great thread but as it was started back in 02 I was wondering if the same instructions apply to today's hardware?

6. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

This thread is solid gold. Not sure if it is as up to date as it could be though granted :p

Chainey edited his first post in 2005 if that helps :)

7. Tomee

Tomee Member

would this be the same if you were to install win 7?

8. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

Would what be the same Tomee? If you are wondering about any of the software raid features I would not thing they were broken or missing in Win7 if they were available previously?

9. Elroy Christmas

Elroy Christmas Member

Is it possible for me to create a RAID0 setup without having to reformat my current HDD and reinstall OS etc etc. ie. Can I ghost my HDD onto and Identiacal HDD then somehow use these as if they were RAID0 from the beginning?

Be gentle...

10. Raykay

Raykay Member

hmm, its a thought, its been a while for me since I last used raid 0.

But, if you set up raid 0, then its listed as one hard drive in the OS. So if you use acronis to back up your system. You could then setup raid then use the acronis book disk and recover using your backup.

But yes, you would have to format.

11. Raykay

Raykay Member

Double post..

12. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

Hi lloydmof

In short: I don't think so. Raid 0 develops its speed by splitting whatever you send to the array across all of the drives in the array. So in the simplest case of two drives any file you write will end up half on one drive and half on the other (approximately shall we say). Therefore two identical drives will not make a raid 0 array. Raid 1 perhaps but I don't know of any setup that will take two identical drives and just 'turn on' raid 1. Generally the raid manager will want to take a drive and a blank drive and 'build' the array by making a copy.

I do think though that it is possible, or used to be possible, to take an OS install, ghost it to some third location, and recover it to a raid array. I think I raised this near the begining of this thread as a way of adjusting cluster size for an array. However, don't assume that this will work, do your own experiments :)

Whatever you do, before you start fiddling make backups of anything you care about or might one day care about. Careful, redundant, physically separate backups ;)

13. Fsman13

Fsman13 Member

Great info, but a little outdated now :p

Thoughts on the Intel Rapid Storage program for migrating an already functioning system to an array?

Personally, I'm a little confused as to what handles the striping process (software or hardware). Obviously software for the migration, but then does it become a hardware based setup?
    Wikipedia is no help, it lists it as a firmware (!!) level implemetation. What the hell does that mean?!?! D:

14. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

15. datechnoman

datechnoman Member

Excellent Sticky Post!

Thanks for the help!

16. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

A thread that will not rest in peace. It is great that it is still useful :)

17. datechnoman

datechnoman Member

best guide i have ever read explaining RAID 0 setup. Simple but tells you everything you need to know. Great job Author!

18. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

Guys does RAID 0 generally decrease the life of hard drives?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  19. Hive

Hive Member

No reason it would.

20. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

All things being equal two drives in RAID 0 (for example) should last as long as the two drives would separately. I suppose that, depending on work load one drive might get to be spun down a lot of the time which it would not in RAID 0.

The thing you must not miss though is that if EITHER drive in RAID 0 fails for all practical purposes the entire contents of the array is lost.