1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

RAID 0 Guide: Set-up, OS installation, and Optimization

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by chainbolt, Jun 6, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Sektion8

Sektion8 Member

7+ years since the OP got an update. Is it still current?

I tried to get RAID 10/1+0/0+1 whatever one wishes to call it. I choked.

I had 8 WD Cav Black 1TB drives gathering dust, and picked-up a 2720SGL card cheap. Thought I'd use them all, cheap WIN. Best speeds, 4TB is PLENTY, and total cost is peanuts. I believe the theory is perfectly fine. RAID 10 scales.

I created the array in the Rocketraid BIOS. Windows never saw it properly. By memory, it only saw 2TB partition + 3TB unaccessble (in ANY way) or something messed-up like that. Copied stuff on there from an SSD. Speeds were <150MB/s. Eventually restarted the PC... Array was never seen again. That was 10+ months ago.

RAID and I SERIOUSLY do not get along.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  2. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

Check post 305 on the previous page and the discussion that follows.

In short, yes it is still good stuff. However, the number of people who want to boot of two or more raid 0 mechanical HDDs to increase their system speed (given the awesomeness of SSDs) is probably small these days :)

Edit: sorry to hear about your disaster.

3. ledhead900

ledhead900 Member

I think this site explains things a little better http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/RAID-SCALING-CHARTS,1735.html

Gaming seems to run best at 128KB not sure if higher will do much better.
    OS lower is better also 16/32 you will see bugger all small steps don't give much improvement such as 32/64 you won't notice it but the benchmarks will be slightly higher.

4. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

Hi guys, I need some help with my RAID 0 setup. It says its functional in BIOS but in windows only shows half of its actual capacity.

Drives - 2 x 4TB Barracuda
    Motherboard -Gigabye z77x-D3H
    Raid Controller - On-board controller.

1 - I created my RAID 0 in BIOS as per the image below; Sorry for the fuzzy pic, but you can see it's operational and it's status is normal.

Click to view full size!

2- I then rebooted my PC and got into Win7 Pro. I checked my computer and saw the following;

Click to view full size!

3- I then proceeded into Disk Manager and this is what it shows.

Click to view full size!

I don't know what to do now, I can not get the raid 0 to work in Windows. How can I fix this so the raid will show up in full capacity rather than just half of it?

Cheers. (I've tried the trouble shooting threads but nothing has helped)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  5. wullieb1

wullieb1 Member

Right click the disk in Disk Management and select Online.

Once that is done it may require Initialization.

After that it should be able to have the partition created.

6. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

OK bud, I'll try this tonight. :thumbup:

I did play around with getting the inactive drive online then combining the partitions and managed to do a software RAID 0, which gave me 1 drive at 7.2tb but not sure if this is good to do.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  7. kesawi

kesawi Member

Setup my RAID0 array with 2 x 128GB SSDs over 12 months ago and recently upgraded to Windows 8.1. I've since updated the motherboard BIOS and drivers to Intel RST 12.7 but Trimcheck (https://github.com/CyberShadow/trimcheck) shows TRIM is not working. Have checked the DisableDeleteNotify to ensure TRIM is enabled in Windows. Even manually optimising the drive doesn't indicate that TRIM has occurred.

Does my RAID array need to be reformatted and Windows reinstalled to get TRIM working now that I have the new BIOS and drivers?

8. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

I was under the impression that it was maybe a certain Intel RST that enabled TRIM for SSDs on Win 8.

9. beefcake15

beefcake15 Member

about to buy 2 ssd's for a raid 0 setup as my boot drive weighing up these 2

Intel 535 240GB, Read:540 MB/s, Write:490MB/s, $109Each
    Samsung Evo 850 250GB, Read:540MB/s, Write:520 MB/s, $125Each

Specifications are basically identical, have heard a lot of good about the evo's but intel is a brand you can rely on and backed by a 5yr warranty makes it hard to decide.

10. ae00711

ae00711 Member

the evo has 5yr warranty as well

are you sure you need SSD RAID?
    can you go PCIE SSD instead?

11. beefcake15

beefcake15 Member

does anyone need 2 ssd's is raid haha thats not the point ;) i went with the samsungs read to many good thing worth the extra few dollars plus i score another 10gb ;)

12. NSanity

NSanity Member

PCIE SSD's are roughly 3-4x a single Sata3 SSD.

13. xkai

xkai Member

Ty

Thank you for the write up

14. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

Hey, hey, my, my. This thread will never die.

Nor should it, I lived by it back in the day. It has to be a No.1 resource for retro computer enthusiasts these days too.

15. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Hey All,

Rather than make a new thread I'll revive this old sticky one.

I have quite a large RAID 0 - 4 x 6TB that mostly backs up 'to the cloud' (outside of the essentials which back up locally as well). Using AMD Ryzen's onboard RAID controller, I want to change motherboards from my current B350 to an X370 for some more full x16 PCIE (and SATA) slots as well as due to some issues I'm having with stability and no SoC control on my current board.

Can I just unplug the current disks and plug them into a new board, and recover the RAID like I have done in the past with Intel RAID, or is this not a possibility with AMD?

If it's definitely not possible - I'll use this as an opportunity to grow the RAID by another couple of disks. But I'm really just after a quick fix and don't want to have to deal with the downtime and preparation of rebuilding the array if I don't have to.

Thanks!

16. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

Depends, you'd probably have to check the documentation on both systems as to how the raid information is stored with regards to drive order and also more importantly stripe size, hardware raid controllers make the partitions slightly smaller that the size of the actual hard drive itself by a couple of megabytes and put that info at the end of the disk so the next controller can read it and set it up correctly, what chipset controllers do I have no idea. It might be just as simple as moving it over given they are both AMD systems.

17. NSanity

NSanity Member

Do you also freeball it whilst wearing in jeans with zips?

18. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Haha not often. Performance is the priority, the write penalty and latencies for RAID 5/6 is unrealistic for my use case, and I can't justify twice the amount of drives for RAID 10, the solution is to just have it all backed up at all times. It would probably take about the same amount of time to download as a RAID 6 array takes to rebuild itself...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018