Raid 0 in my MacBook!

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by mkusanagi, Mar 16, 2009.

1. mkusanagi

mkusanagi Member

Hello,

Long time lurker first time poster! I posted this elsewhere but I thought you guys would appreciate it too. :)

I thought i'd share this with everyone if anyone has been interested or curious to do the same, I have installed a Raid 0 setup in my 2.4ghz Aluminum macbook using 250gb and 320gb Seagate 7200.3 2.5" drives with 16mb cache each. The reason its 2 different sizes? Because i'm stupid! I bought the 320 thinking the other drive was 320 aswell- only realising once i had installed both that they were different sizes.

Not to fear- the raid would be slowed down by the slowest drive, specification wise they are both the same so no problems there. In fact in my case it creates something which is quite awesome- individual boot partitions on each drive. In my case the layout is as follows;
    250GB Drive
    220GB - Raid Slice​
    12GB - Emergency boot partition with Leopard installed​
    320GB Drive
    220GB -Raid Slice​
    70GB - Windows Bootcamp partition​

Installing the drive required me to sacrifice my optical drive- no biggie I have not used it since I bought the machine.

The tricky bit is, the sata connector found on the optical drive, delivers the +5V power through what would be the standard +3V power on a normal SATA power connector. I bought a "SATA Extender" from ebay for $3 and then re-routed the power to the correct pins (as you can see in the image). The fit is pretty tight but fits snug in there.

In terms of performance, xbench gives about 80-100% performance increase in some synthetic tests, real world performance i've found everything to be really snappy. I was doing a restore from a carbon copy cloner image to put my old data back, during the verifying process I was getting 150MB/s read performance! CPU impact is minimal, giving maybe 3-4% to the RAID.

The macbook is slightly heavier now, I couldn't believe how light the optical drive was! Heat is a little warmer from the base but that doesn't bother me either. I have not tried the battery life but I will be sure to let you guys know if you would like.

Anyway shoot off any questions if you have any... here's the fun stuff.. pictures!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

2. viggenn

viggenn Member

Wow nice! Nice speeds too. Now we need some RAID'd SSDs :D

How is the 250gb drive secured?

3. OP
    OP
    mkusanagi

mkusanagi Member

It's held in with thick doublesided tape to absorb the shock and thin slices foam on the top and bottom to stop it from shorting and to absorb shocks.

RAID SSD would be sweet!! much lighter too!

My next project will be to put a usb hub inside the rest of the optical bay and put a SD card reader and my HSDPA modem in there too

4. TMM

TMM Member

Excuse the potentially dumb question (i'm not familiar with the Mac hardware) - Is the RAID done through software (OS/driver level) or hardware(BIOS)?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  5. ~Coxy

~Coxy Member

Software, Macs don't have onboard hardware RAID. (Except maybe the XServe? Might be an option only.)

6. Primüs

Primüs Member

very impressive. Im also very keen to see the outcome of integrating a card reader and your wireless modem in there. All in one, wonder unit your making =).

7. Mr. Bump!

Mr. Bump! (Banned or Deleted)

that's a nice way to void your warranty on a new MacBook to still only end up with the performance of a single SSD

8. lavi

lavi Member

you don't actually void warranty as you can put it all back to original form

SSD are fast up to a point where they are almost full with data, then they are slower then 2x 72krpm drives in raid0

9. Danske

Danske Member

Damn nice job dude! Does the bottom enclosure sit back on properly?

10. Phat_Jad

Phat_Jad Member

my x61s has built in modem, IBM FTW

but raid in a laptop cool shit dude, ive heard they also make SSD's that actually have 2 drives in one, so you can just raid them, there were in blade hs21 servers and im not sure but i think it may be bigger than standard 2.5

11. willy_manilly

willy_manilly Member

so what are you using as an optical drive now sir? haha

12. OP
    OP
    mkusanagi

mkusanagi Member

The RAID is done through the software, in OSX you can do it through the disk utility, just make 2 partitions of equal size, the select your RAID type. Easy as 1-2-3

Tapping the USB is the hardest part, in the older MacBooks it was easy, the bluetooth runs over a standard usb connection so you'd create a bypass in that and hey presto USB! In the new macbooks, its intergrated into the display clamshell- something I would rather not take apart... not yet anyway ;) I'd rather not render one of my only 2 external USB ports (thanks Apple! *grumbles*) or start desoldering off the logic board incase something goes wrong in the future.... but I think i may have the answer to come ;)

Single SSD 80gb = $700. Raid 2x 7200RPM seagates 2.5" drives 440GB = $220

All I have to say to you is....

Click to view full size!

It sits on nice and flush, albeit very VERY snug :)

You mean Lenovo FTW? :p Don't worry i'm jealous already!

I've had this MacBook 1 month after they first came out, I used the optical drive once! If all else fails, I can remote disc off my mac pro or use my hacked MacBook air super drive that will work in any machine now ;)

Thanks for all the responses! Hope to hear some more!

13. Mr. Bump!

That's nice, and all I have to say to you is epic lulz when your less then 1 year old MacBook needs something replaced in the next 3 years it could have been covered under warranty. It'll cost you a lot more then $700 when things start breaking down ;)

14. OP
    OP
    mkusanagi

mkusanagi Member

Take the extra drive out and put the optical drive back in.

I don't see where the problem is?

15. viggenn

viggenn Member

lol i'd love to see the face on an apple tech working on that laptop for warranty :lol:

16. Mr. Bump!

I thought the OP was talking about doing other mods. Anyway I'm draging this thread off topic, its an interesting mod but not one I'd do especially considering i've already had to use the warranty on my MacBook which is less then 3 months old

17. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

Looks pretty good, but knowing Apples build quality you'll need that warranty.
    Was there any void sticks broken? if not they'll never know.

Do you notice much different battery life?

18. ~Coxy

~Coxy Member

Strictly speaking they can't "void" the warranty just because you change/upgrade something yourself.

They can refuse to cover your new hard drive, or refuse to fix your DVD drive because you broke the connector when unplugging it. They can't refuse to fix a known-faulty GPU because you changed the hard drive several months previously.

19. power

power Member

warranty void stickers are a farce too.

20. zkeke

zkeke (Banned or Deleted)

Not entirely correct.

Was the technician ESD grounded? Was it in an ESD safe environment? Was the user an apple authorised tech? Then yes, they can refuse to cover a GPU later if there's evidence of tampering, direct or otherwise.