Raid 0 in my MacBook!

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by mkusanagi, Mar 16, 2009.

1. lavi

lavi Member

i have just opened my MacBook and there are no tamper stickers and it's very easy to put the 2nd hdd in, and yes it can be done and removed without trace of it ever being installed so whomever yaps about warranty can go get assraped by some Russian sailors.

if you give apple a MacBook Unibody back the same way they send it to you they will fix it full stop! (pending it's still under factory or apple car wrty)

So before you blurt some some shit out please think, it's not that hard really

2. ~Coxy

~Coxy Member

Not by law they can't. I agree that they will probably try though, which is why you have to be sure to say that any work done was at an authorised service center.

3. bugayev

bugayev Whammy!

Well, one problem will be the broken raidset and the fact that you won't be able to boot OS X (and the boot message that says you have a Raid 0 volume)

4. Dedge

Dedge Member

Don't confuse a dedicated hardware RAID controller with software RAID or fake RAID (What you've referred to as on-board/BIOS). The latter two consume equivalent processor cycles.

5. aivas6ac59d

aivas6ac59d Member

Hmm.. I've been trying to find these for awhile...

Optibay

But I'd rather find a supplier in Oz. The Sata variant is more expensive and I'm wondering if it includes pata to sata logic. I believe it should fit and work in a standard laptop, but need to find a supplier first.

Anyone got any ideas?

It is more expensive than this option, and requires less soldering and thinking. Kudos on the 3.3V to 5V mod. :)

6. uniqueuser

uniqueuser Member

How is the temperature on your fingers?

7. mangus1000

mangus1000 Member

Im with you aivas6ac59d, im keen to get a caddy like the OptiBay. Im surprised they havnt got more attention by now?

8. Ledstar

Ledstar Member

im so doing this!

9. QLH454

QLH454 Member

Can I point out one thing? As an accredited and authorised Apple Technician, have a look here - http://www.apple.com/au/macbookpro/features-17inch.html - at the Australian sales brochure for the "Unibody" MBP

Just about the middle of the page under the title "Everything Fits" on the left hand side.

10. Matex

Matex Member

Parts ordered and should be here tomorrow. I'm doing the same thing :)

One thing however, the pinout of the SATA in particular with +3v and +5v pins, how do I know which one to swap around?

11. ~Coxy

~Coxy Member

The discussion about whether they can void the warranty or not was talking about replacing the optical drive, which I don't believe Apple considers a user-replaceable part.

12. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Lol... a site dedicated to tweaking the hell out of computers and people are ragging shit on you about warranty :lol: Priceless.

Very cool mod, i cant even be bothered setting up raid on my desktops!! Kudos :thumbup:

(and hows that battery life going?)

13. Matex

Matex Member

I'd just like to add, this particular mod will only work on unibody Macbook Pro's. The ones before it (4,1 and below) have PATA Superdrives and not SATA ones like the Unibody has. Unfortunately the majority of converters are too large and perhaps (I haven't 100% checked) the PATA plug they have used is custom for size reasons.

I only figured this out after I bought the 2nd HDD. Now I have to buy the MCE Optibay.

:(