1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

RAID 5 confusion

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by purple_jeep, Oct 2, 2011.

1. purple_jeep

purple_jeep Member

Hi All,

I am currently setting up a RAID 5 array for my data storage on my home PC (currently have 2 SSD's in RAID 0 for boot drive) but everything I am reading on how to set it up properly is confusing me :(

The setup is three Seagate 1TB 7200.12 drives:
    1 x ST31000528AS
    2 x ST31000524AS

The RAID is using Intel P67 chipset and Intel Rapid Storage Technology application. I setup the raid using the IRST app selecting 64 KB Data stripe size and turning on Write-back cache. It took almost 48 hrs to initilise!!

The question I have are:
    1. What should I set the Allocation Unit Size to when I format?
    2. Does it matter if I select MBR or GPT?
    3. Currently I have 1 drive on port 2 and the other two on port 4 and port 5 with the ssd's on 0 and 1 and a dvd drive on 3. Does the port order matter?
    4. Is there anything I should change or do differently for better performance?

Cheers

Chris

2. noobmastery

noobmastery Member

2. If booting off the disk use MBR, if settings a partition over 2TB in size use GPT, if neither of these apply then use whatever you want.
    3. Doesn't matter.
    4. I've never seen the IRST app, I've always used intel matrix storage manager for intel onboard RAID management and it works pretty well, if you're unhappy with IRST I suggest you test it out.

3. OP
    OP
    purple_jeep

purple_jeep Member

Ok so no difference between MBR and GPT so I will stick with mbr for now. Any thoughts on question 1 this is the one which really confused me.

That and alignment of the partition but apparently windows 7 takes care of that for me :).

4. noobmastery

noobmastery Member

No idea, I've never looked into allocation unit size, I always leave it default.