RAID Array not detected in Windows ** UPDATED **

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Ravennoir, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Hey Everyone,

**UPDATED** See Post : http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=9539350&postcount=17

Ive been having an issue with getting windows to detect my RAID array on my iWill DH800 motherboard.

I have two 320Gb Drives which I configured on boot into the array as RAID1, however, once I get into windows is only picks up the two drives themselves.

I have installed all the drivers and the RAID appears in the Device manager, but still no luck

Please help

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  2. OP
    OP
    Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Anyone have any thoughts ?

3. Thalfura

Thalfura Member

have you tried "control panel\administrator tools\computer management\storage" to see if the array is in there. if it is it should allow you too assign a drive letter to it and to format it.

4. OP
    OP
    Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

when I go into there, thats when it comes up with the two drives instead of the Array Volume

5. Thalfura

Thalfura Member

are you seeing the array in BIOS?

6. OP
    OP
    Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

I can choose the array as a boot device, if thats what you mean ?

7. Spectre8

Spectre8 Member

I'm a total n00b with tech things, so don't think I'm right with this - but it worked for me last weekend. I've got an ASUS P5E Delux motherboard, set up my two 500GB drives in RAID 0, and Vista would only see them as separate drives. I needed to pause the boot process to read the directions, cos it's flash on the screen for half a second - but it was as simple as hitting Ctrl-S at that time. It took me to the RAID setup screen, and was smooth sailing from then on.

Hope that helps some.

8. OP
    OP
    Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Yeah I have the same thing, but I have gone into the RAID setup, and setup the RAID1 Array

9. GazG

GazG Member

If vista is still seeing the two drives you must have missed something and not set up the array properly. Grab the user manual and double-check each step of the RAID setup.

10. OP
    OP
    Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

That would be fine, if the manual actually said anything about setting it up

the section about BIOS just states the top level menus

and I downloaded a manual for teh RAID adaptor, but he BIOS section for that is different than what my options are

11. GazG

GazG Member

Wel the only thing that comes to mind at the moment is that some RAID controller BIOSes you must "apply" the settings after you have defined them, and this goes and initialises the array. Try looking for an option or setting of this nature in your RAID controller BIOS.

12. OP
    OP
    Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Yeah in the RAID BIOS, it goes though and builds the array, which takes ages, and then it appears to be ok ?

13. GazG

GazG Member

OK well it sounds like you're doing everything correctly, what RAID controller is it btw?

14. OP
    OP
    Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  15. E=MC2

E=MC2 Member

Tell me are you creating a new array on HDD's that have nothing on them ?

Correct me if wrong but I'm kinda seeing you have setup an array on an allreay working system.

I've had many raid systems the only bork is having the correct driver when the O/S install asks if you have to install and raid drivers (on floppy usually) hit F6, they load, you check the array (nothing else) you allow it to reboot with your O/S disk in place, it starts the install, your done and dusted from then on, all too easy.

If that fails to happen your either not using the right driver or miss the F6 deal, as once it creates the array the install will go only onto the specified array not just one drive, If wanted on second boot check and you can check and change the type of array stpipping or mirroring, etc etc yada yada.

If the driver is wrong, and no array is defined or active, don't let it install, stop and start again.

Are both these disks new ? IE with nothing on them, that helps, fdisk them each seperately if needed, (I have had to do this) then re connect them as an array, do the F6, check the defined array, and reboot it and install the O/S.

16. OP
    OP
    Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

These are second hand disks, but they have been formatted

I have tried adding them to an existing System (XP) with the drivers installed, when I go into the Disk management console, it asks me to initialise two drives, not one array

I have also tried to Install a new OS to the Drives (and removing the existing OS drive from the System) im installing WHS and you dont need to hit F6, you can just choose the drivers, which I have otherwise it doesnt pick up any drives at all, after the drivers are installed, two drives again

17. OP
    OP
    Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

UPDATED

Hey Everyone,

I found some instructions (almost) for my BIOS and RAID BIOS

I have followed it step by step and have setup the RAID Array

I can choose the Array in BIOS (it shows are the only Drive)

BUT ...... I cannot see the Array in the Windows Setup, only the two Drives

Please Help ME

18. OP
    OP
    Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Any ideas people, this one is really bugging me