Raid on older system? Uncompressed HD video

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by benjagan91, Nov 28, 2011.

1. benjagan91

benjagan91 Member

Hi,

Looking at getting a sata raid card for an old Pentium 2/3 (slot1) system. The pentium 3 board has 64-bit/66mhz pci slots for such a raid card. I looked at bandwidth on such a slot and it's supposedly 533MB/s, however, the southbridge to northbridge link is only 266MB/s.

Does this mean that the most i'll be able to move around will be 266MB/s?

I'm just thinking about trying uncompressed HD video on older CPUs for fun since it shouldn't be too stressful on the CPU and more reliant on the raid array? Was thinking of starting off with a 1GHz Pentium 3 and work my way down towards Pentium 2 CPUs if I continue getting smooth playback.

I'll likely want about 750GB available in the array and have it saturating the 266MB/s. What will be the easiest way to manage this?

The motherboard uses an Intel 840 chipset with agp 4x and RDRAM. I've got two 256mb PC800 RIMMS at home. Will i need more ram?

I'm also wondering what media player/operating system would be best for playing back uncompressed HD with as little hdd/cpu overhead as possible.

Thanks for your time :)

2. rowan194

rowan194 Member

I don't know much about the finer details of current video standards but wouldn't 266MHz/sec be too low for uncompressed video? At 30fps that's only about 8 megabytes per frame.

Don't forget that 266MHz/sec is the absolute maximum burst speed of the PCI bus -- the sustained speed (especially for an application which is sensitive to latency) is going to be lower.

The CPU may also have trouble shifting data that fast from the controller, to memory, to video memory?

If it's something you want to try for fun, then why not... but otherwise, see if you can find a card which can do hardware decoding. The way the storage and CPU only have to move the much smaller amounts of compressed data.

3. noobmastery

noobmastery Member

At 1920x1080x24bit you need 6,220,800 bytes per frame, ie about 6 megabytes.

This pretty much sums up where the downfall will be.
    You can certainly try but having an old CPU simply move that much data will bottleneck up.

4. OP
    OP
    benjagan91

benjagan91 Member

Bah okay. Sounds like the idea isn't worthwhile then... and if it was, it'd probably be better with the athlon's faster fsb/higher memory bandwidth in contrast to the P3. Thanks anyway guys