RAID solutions for 3x2tb drives

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by vxuereb, Nov 11, 2010.

1. vxuereb

vxuereb Member

Hi All,

I have purchased 3 x 2tb Western Digital Green HDD and have a GB EX58 Extreme MB.

I would like some advice on which RAID option to use please?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

I've heard the Green drives are actually bad for RAIDing... due to their power-down function during prolonged inactivity.

3. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

ive heard this is totally untrue and you have no idea what youre actually on about.

OP: i suggest you dont use any form of RAID if you even need to ask.

4. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Mate, don't lash out at me. I said "I've heard" meaning speculation. Nowhere did I say that it was definite.

5. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

but if youre going to provide misinformation at least do it in the newbie lounge.

still stands though, if the OP doesnt know what he wants to do, no one else can provide a solution.

its teh equivalent of saying, "hey i just bought 3 cars, what should i do?"

6. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Check out wikipedia to gain a better idea on what RAID is about. It'll at least steer you in the right direction with regards to what RAID can do, and if it's applicable for yourself to employ.

Raiding ssd's is where it's at. :)

7. OP
    OP
    vxuereb

vxuereb Member

Terrastrife I know what I want to do with the drives hence my first post as I already have 2 raided drives In my system so I know what I'm doing.

All im asking is with these particular WD Green drives what is the best possible RAID solution.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  8. Embercide

Embercide Member

I was going to come to your defence but now you've gotten under my skin.

"Best possible raid solution" for what exactly? Speed? Redundancy? Capacity?
    What size would the bulk of the files stored be? What OS are you running?
    :rolleyes:

9. flain

flain Member

The "BEST" solution depends entirely on what you decide is most important for you. ie, whats your goal?
    - Best speed? (eg RAID0 etc)
    - Best reliability? (RAID5, 6 or mirroring)
    - Most storage space? (RAID0, JBOD etc)

Even then some will disagree on the best option to achieve each result :D

*edit* beaten by emberside!

10. Embercide

Embercide Member

Why are we even assisting? OP has already told us he already has 2 raided drives & knows what he's doing :lol:

11. OP
    OP
    vxuereb

vxuereb Member

Embercide your an idiot am asking because these are the Green drives whats the matter with you, sit behind a PC all day jerking to pron well done.

Flain thanks for your response, im after speed and RAID0 was where I was headed, and I know Green drives are not the best for a RAID solution, but as they say "its all about the cash" so trying to do the best with what I have.

Im not booting off these drives as I have an SSD for that. These drives are for movie/tv streaming.

12. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

well i'm going to join in.

You would want to stay away from RAID-0 as there is no redundancy in it. Let's say one of your 2tb drives dies....

What happens then?

6tb of data.... GONE.

Let's say you have a RAID-5 setup. One drive dies, you still have that data available unless 2 drives die. Yes you lose 2tb of data, but it's a small price to pay for some sort of reliability and redundancy.

*As always, don't count on it as a backup solution, but being tv/movies it's expendable anywayz*

When you also say RAID setup, you need to define the type of stripes, allocation units, and also sector sizes of the drives.

Being wd20ears they will be 4096byte sectors. I'm also going to assume you know what best setup is used with this, since you know what you are doing.

ALSO take not if you are using a linux box, it's best to also specify stride and stripe width within the filesystem, again since you know what you are doing.... i take it you already know about this :)

one last ALSO... being wd drives... i assume you've already disabled/increase the time for the idle spindown.... i'm sure you know how to do this aswell! ;)

13. _the_duke_

_the_duke_ (Taking a Break)

I wouldn't risk using RAID0 if all you're doing is streaming media.

14. Embercide

Embercide Member

Whats the matter with me? whats the matter with you??
    You come on here and post "Hai guyz I has 3 green drives whats the best raid!?"
    Like I said, best raid for fucking what??

And for the record I do sit behind a computer all day, but I dont have time for pr0n because i'm busy building multiple 28TB raid arrays for video databases :p

15. OP
    OP
    vxuereb

vxuereb Member

_the_duke_ & m0n4g3

thanks for your assistance got the info i needed :)

Embercide not even gonna waste my time.

16. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

If all you are going to be doing is streaming media to say xbox/ps3/iphone etc... i'd stick with raid 5.

I'm maxing out gbit and i doubt video streaming is going to be needing that much bandwidth.

It gives you SLIGHTLY more flexibility in that if a drive decides to shit itself... you don't lost everything instantly... you have abit of time to get a new drive in it.

Enjoy matey

17. Vampire

Vampire Member

Isnt it obvious? Run the 3 cars in a RAID5 array. :thumbup:

18. Samuka

Samuka Member

... put them in a paddock array and and see which one crashs/dies first....smashup derby style :D

19. Renza

Renza Member

WHY would you buy green drives if you were after speed :confused:

20. Yak

Yak Member

Actually completly true for hardware RAID.
    Confirmed by my calls to WD support
    Also confirmed on WD's website
    "If you install and use a desktop edition hard drive connected to a RAID controller, the drive may not work correctly"
    http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc...vd19jbnQ9MjQsMjQmcF9wcm9kcz0yMjcmcF9jYXRzPSZw

Also not recommend for QNAP NAS's

Note8
    These hard disk drives have passed QNAP lab's initial verification of compatibility. However, because many users have reported unstable experience with these hard disk drives, we do not recommend using these had disk drives with QNAP products.
    http://www.qnap.com/pro_compatibility.asp

Personally based on my experiences in the last 12 months trying to setup 4XRAID6 arrays using an adaptec 5805 card I would suggest using hitachi, or samsung drives.
    I replaced 8*WD greens with hitachi drives as they were "business rated" while the spinpoints did not specifically mention this.
    You might want to check my comments out in mong's thread about my experiences with WD's & hardware RAID.
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=916961

Googling RAID types is a GOOD idea, especially if you want to configure the stripe sizes but in summary

RAID 0 = Quick read/write, non redunant, All space, for disposable data/Lots of space = "large" video files you dont care about
    RAID 1 = Quick read/write redundant data,Lose 1/2 your space = "small" database files you care about
    RAID 5 = Quick read/Slower write, redundant data, Lose space = to 1Xdrive = Most files your care about
    RAID 6 = Quick read/Slowest write, redundant data, Lose space = to 2Xdrive = Can't afford to lose 2 drives at same time.

Everything else is a combo of the others.
    0+1 equals a span of RAID 1 arrays, RAID10 equals a span of RAID5 arrays

Yak.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010