Rainbow 6: Siege

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by walker_2003, Jun 10, 2014.

1. whfbee

whfbee Member

Last rainbow 6 I played would have been Vegas I barely remember it tbh. Its a very considered shooter there are a lot of counters to each character/device. Every time I play I seem to pick up on something new.

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Sounds promising then :thumbup:

3. Foliage

Foliage Member

I just bought this and gotta say I'm really enjoying it, very similar to counter strike however more appealing to the casual gamer. Minimal leveling up bs that plauges cod etc, you can jump and play a match and still do very well. I love the 1 shot kill no respawn as well, gives it a much more anxious "I'm going to die if I'm not super cautious" feel, eg rushing == dead.

I think I'm a fairly good shot thanks to years of CS back in the day but I'm very noob to the gameplay tactics of what works and what doesn't, not knowing the maps off by heart is a disadvantage as well.

4. Nightwolf1982

Nightwolf1982 Member

I find myself playing it more & more, it sort of just hooks ya, so far have unlocked all operators but haven't used them all yet as I have my faves, those suicide bombers piss me off majorly but am starting to get a bit more skilled @ hearing em coming & laying in wait & nitro cells but that's where thatcher comes in handy with his emp grenades

5. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Just picked this up a couple of days ago. I like it, not love. But I wholeheartedly appreciate the change. No mindless rushing, every bit of health counts, no respawns, no Rambos. It's refreshing to be playing a proper team based game requiring many things to win. Communications is one of the key components, and I really enjoy the fact that there could be so many ways your team can attack opposing team: front, left, right, behind, from above, and from below, or a combination of everything. I'm still learning the ropes, the environment (really crucial too), like creating key "death holes" in certain choke points. And really funny jumping around with your drone getting the baddies to chase you......

6. Nightwolf1982

Nightwolf1982 Member

It's very addictive, I can't say I love it but find myself clocking a couple of hrs everyday, think the main thing that bothers me is the waiting time to get into a game but at least it only happens once or twice per session

7. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Yeah the match making sucks, I'm hoping the future update will fix this also.

8. Nightwolf1982

Nightwolf1982 Member

It is stupid, I think that stupid est.time countdown timer is pointless & needs to be scrapped

9. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Good game last night Folbro. I bailed out early, but continued gaming later the night. Sucks that I players I've played with don't show up in steam so I can add yous.

10. Foliage

Foliage Member

Something I am struggling with at this game is aiming/holding back and waiting for the enemy. I keep seeming to miss the head shot with me loosing most firefights unless I spot them first.

I'm really good at CS GO but it seems I need to really stick to 1 shot fire in this game and only spam if I'm using an uzi and at point blank.

Sweet, this is the only game where my name is foliage as well, all the other ones I normally use are taken.

11. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

I find if you run and gun, it's going to be a matter of luck whether you win or not, then there's the element of other enemies in other angles. One thing that's really helped is awareness of the environment and patience. If you're defending, it's good to be able to pick solid spots that have a high probability of the enemy passing through (whether they're noobs and they are expected to take the shortest route or whether the team has purposely made other entry points difficult). And when you're determined for that defensive position (while others hold other areas), it's simply being patient, silent, and ready. When attacking too, I always try and use up my drone, even without seeing the enemy directly, just being able to see which walls and shields they've put up, it becomes easier to predict their position. I've killed a few last night doing this, when I'm convinced they are at a given position I shoot through that wall.

Towards the end of last night I was getting mildly frustrated because hit detection was messed up on two occasions. Maybe the other player did see me maybe they didn't, or maybe it's a bug in how the kill cam is shown, but one occasion I got HS'ed while reviving a team mate from a sniper outside the house and I could not even see my head, not one bit in that kill cam. Secondly, I was killed from a shot, from the kill cam, the cross-hair wasn't even remotely close to my body.

12. Foliage

Foliage Member

Yeah I definitely am not running and gunning as that is a recipe for instant death, I think I just need to get better map knowledge so I know where to leave my cross hairs to expect where an enemy is.

Defending is hard as when you are half a team down I've usually got 2-3x I need to cover at once, that or I can only defend one area properly so they draw me out when they defuse the second area.

Definitely something that will come with practice. I'm enjoying this as much as I enjoyed CS when I was 17 years old so it must be good.

13. Foliage

Foliage Member

Good video

14. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

thats common FPS knowledge, but im pretty 1337 :p

You know what this needs and even CS GO when it comes to competition is clan battles in new maps every time, the bad guys get maybe 5 mins to scope out the map but the goodies get no time.. now that would make for intense combat.. but potentially unbalanced as easier to camp. And of course require a crap load of maps to be made haha

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  15. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

16. Foliage

Foliage Member

Is there any reason to not use the foregrip on guns in this game?

17. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

No downside to foregrips as far as I can see. Just there as something to spend a bit of cash on. Maybe we'll see more items in that slot in the future, or options of different grips.

Love siege. When you get 5 people all on mics who aren't total dickbags its a fantastic experience. I'm quite bad though.
    Really liking Frost and Buck, they're now two of my most played characters, Buck in particular. Go marksman rifle with an ACOG, and you've got this wonderful flexible character. He can fill Glaz's long range position, but can move in and go close quarters better than Glaz. I'd probably play him every round if I could, but sometimes no one else wants to play Thermite and you need him.
    Frost is great. You can do a lot of cheeky things with her welcome mats. Get at least 1 person in most rounds with her. Only thing that stops me playing her more is that someone has to play Rook, and she is popular to be picked most rounds so someone often takes her.

Had a fun set late last week with a bunch of randoms with an FTC clan tag. No idea who they are, but it was some glorious trolly cancer. Rushing outside on defence and going 5 shield attacks. Salt was flowing. Good fun to do occasionally.

18. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

When every member of the team plays together and knows what they're doing, the team becomes nearly unstoppable. Had a couple of nights like this, everyone communicated, planned strategy, paired appropriate player types together, etc, and we easily won every single round all night long.

19. t8y

t8y Member

oh, finally got this over the weekend (cjs, something like $45 or so atm plus picked up one of their couple dollar steam game key luckydips)
    seems its rare to find casual players who mic up, but yeah agreed when everyone or most guys are active on the mic, it ends in a stomping.

otherwise found i'm usually doing the most callouts/only one really.
    prior to buying i watched a lot of yt/twitch streamers playing the game so for a new player was somewhat familiar with locations etc., best entry points for various objective spots, common spots to watch when defending etc..

had a few hackusations sofar though, "too high level for a rank5" or whatver..
    saltiest were 2 idiots who walked into a hallway about 10secs apart (so clearly no communication), i had it covered through a murderhole, both were headshots, killcam should have shown that if my chat response didnt point out their demise.

have not seen anything suss. don't think i've died from anything unexplainable (beyond "i assume they had good recon i probably wasnt aware of", i mean).
    love the gunplay, like that the weapon choice is limited, like that the DLC is free and the season pass only gives the early access (and maybe renown boosts? or something), its the way it should be.

hope the game takes off more, ubi are trying to do right by this game which is a nice change from a big publisher.
    i think people need overlook their recent massive fails and give it a shot.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  20. Foliage

Foliage Member

I gotta save I truly love this game, it is the first game to replace counter strike as a tactical MP shooter, nothing in 10 years has come close for me until this.

Anyone else loving it still? My gf is getting shitty because I play it so much.

Yeah the only "sus" stuff I've seen is people getting killed due to their legs sticking through walls, or other glitchy behaviour, the patches seem to have fixed most of it up now though.