Raising DPI without resizing image?

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Digital Art' started by Sankari, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Sankari

Sankari Member

I have a number of images that I would like to get printed on T-shirts. I've been told that the recommended DPI is 300. Unfortunately my images are lower than this, and I can only achieve 300 DPI by shrinking them.

Is there a way to boost the DPI without resizing the image?

2. shredder

shredder Member

3. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Short answer no, there isn't a way to change the DPI without resizing. If your picture is 300x300 pixels at 72DPI, changing the DPI to 300 DPI will make it print at 1x1 inch square. DPI means Dots Per Inch. Dots are your pixels. DPI is a printing terms allowing the printer to know how many of the pixels from the image to print onto each inch. So to increase the DPI to 300 whilst keeping the image the image size is not possible without also increasing the number of pixels.

4. OP
    OP
    Sankari

Sankari Member

Yeah I tried this, but no joy.

Cheers, that answers that question. Next question: how can I import a 300DPI image from a .pdf?

*edit*

OK, just found an online .pdf to .png converter that works perfectly. Problem solved!

:)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  5. argent

argent Member

Only exception to this rule is when it pertains to vector images - these you can scale infinitely with no loss of quality. Raster images like photos unfortunately, you can't scale it linearly as mentioned before, "can't add detail where there is none".

Sankari likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Sankari

Sankari Member

Thanks everyone, I am now cranking out high quality 300 DPI images with ease.

:)

shredder likes this.