RAM... 20 years gone and 20 years from now

Discussion in 'Memory' started by grim72, Oct 12, 2017.

1. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Got a link handy? Sounds very interesting!

2. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

l_ QuadX_l, adz, breno and 1 other person like this.
  3. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

I remember buying one of those for my A500 in the day. Cost me a fortune, my A500 always used to suffer from way more Guru Meditations than one would deem acceptable. It wasn't until my mates A500 died that he gave me his ram expansion and I decided to chuck it into my A500 to see how it went only to find that the Guru's had all but disappeared! My $300.00 ram expansion was faulty from new.

The best thing about the ram expansion I got off my mate was that it used a socketed lithium coin battery, when I dug my A500 out of the garden shed after 15 years the memory expansion was in perfect nick! Popped a new battery in there and it runs in my A500 to this day.

4. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Since DDR 1st came in, true latency for generic ram has been about the same, DDR1 333mhz cl2.5 = 15ns , ddr4 2133mhz cl15 = 14ns

5. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

IMHO in ten years time, there will be motherboards with multiple TB superfast 'drives' as part of the board, with some of it used as non volatile ram. Something like NVME drives, which are already approaching RAM speeds but cant compete on latency, but much higher capacity, much faster, insane latency, smaller and soldered. You'll see DIMM slots disappear altogether, and vastly more real estate for other, as yet uninvented goodies... or smaller boards.

The other alternative might be new CPU's with multi TB L2 or L3 cache, again rendering DIMMs obsolete.

Its hard to imagine just what we'll be using, the speed with which tech advances, but I don't believe RAM will exist as such, at least on high end gear, in ten years time.

6. breno

breno Member

20 years ago, what was I? 12. Yes, I remember glorying in our upgrade to a Pentium so I could run Mechwarrior 2 Pentium Edition.

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  7. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

it wont matter. in 20 years the temperature in summer will be 45+ degrees in most capital cities of australia..:lol:

and the limits of silicon will be exhausted...or just stuck; there will be something else. assuming there isnt some form of catastrophe involving sentient killer robots. and broken airconditioners. ..and runaway autonomous vehikkles.:D

8086 crap..or x86 or x64 whatever u call it, will be left in the dust....of which there will be more.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  8. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

In 20 years there won’t be ram. Just data and compute. Ie storage will be so fast there won’t be a need for intermediary thing called ram.

9. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

While I tend to somewhat agree with this, I am a little torn as I would believe that as bulk storage speeds increase, processing power/speed and its associated memory would also increase.

There would definitely be applications suited to remove discrete memory completely, typically in the SFF, ultra portable, consumer space, I would find it hard to believe that large scale datacentre, number crunching applications would be able to give the mickey up so quickly.

There's also the problem that with whatever tech is used (assuming SSD technology) there (currently) are/could be limited writes available to the NAND that would prevent the removal of volatile, conventional RAM.

TL;DR, in 20 years time, bulk storage speeds will dramatically increase, but so should volatile memory / CPU power, which may prevent widespread adoption for this kind of tech.

Edit: I can also see a huge problem, if the OS doesn't allocate a fixed amount of solid state memory to dedicated RAM. Think of the case where old mate loads up his laptop with movies, games, music etc, and reduces his capability to actually play them outside of the requirements of the OS.

I doubt any operating system will be able to forecast past its own minimum requirements and reserve memory for applications such as games, CAD, PS etc...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  10. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Yep.

Nup. That problem already exists and is dealt with in the computer you're currently using.

11. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

memristors, ions instead of electrons and silicon photonics.

personal devices will simply be compute nodes with limited storage for offline use, similar to how things are today although amped to the point where 100TB will fit in your pocket.

12. robertjp_1

robertjp_1 Member

Jeez guys, at my parents is my first computer, a System 80 which had been upgraded to 64K (16k) used by BIOS. Grandpa was able to solder the chips (which were 300 nano seconds refresh rate) ontop of the installed memory with one leg bent to daisy chained... cant remember the cost....... Man have to love tape drives.

13. tygrus

tygrus Member

Computers will be made of computing modules. Each module will have integrated CPU/RAM/GPU/NVstorage. Using dynamic RAID techniques and a low level OS to control protected storage distributed between modules. You upgrade RAM/CPU/GPU by adding or replacing modules (hot swappable 1 at a time). GUI OS and apps are containered and partitioned separate to the low level OS.
    The other possibility is that more apps & services are actually accessed remotely (ie. cloud) and Google controls several governments (AI automation, citizen polling on every issue, watching our every move like George Orwell's 1984). Scarry!

We've come a long way since my Mum's started work in 1955 with an IBM 604 and my oldest computer growing up was a 2nd hand VIC-20.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  14. onthepulse

onthepulse Member

everything will be in cloud soon. sad but true... big brother is watching

15. High-Fidelity

High-Fidelity Member

What do you think is going to run the cloud? Is it going to be clouds all the way down?

16. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I guess if I can catch a falling star and put it in my pocket, a cloud on my desk should be easy enough...

17. onthepulse

onthepulse Member

LOL... I really believe for most if not all people, we will interface with computational power on the cloud. So the infrastructure will not be in your home. And we will interact via a device, portable or not, that simply displays output and takes input (mouse, keyboard, whatever). Local storage will be limited to virtually non-existent.

Of course the infrastructure that the processing actually runs on will be a "computer" in the sense of how we know servers or PCs. But as others have said, with quantum computing and in-memory processing, even that device will be very different to what we have today.

Pity, coz I like building PCs and buying components. Maybe their will still be a "retro" trend for PCs in 20yrs. Like people who like record players :)

18. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Sounds like time-sharing on mainframes, look how that turned out.

19. SimParadox

SimParadox Member

I still have my System 80. I also upgraded by soldering the additional RAM, though mine is only a total of 48KB.

20. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018