RAM... 20 years gone and 20 years from now

Discussion in 'Memory' started by grim72, Oct 12, 2017.

1. FOTW

FOTW Member

Depending how internet speeds progress there might no be any need for RAM at home at all other then a small bit of memory for caching streams. Everything will be sorted server side and streamed to client device.

Other then that pretty much how the last 20 years have gone RAM gets faster and faster and secondary more permanent storage also gets faster (always about 3-4 generations in speed behind RAM).

2. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

an interesting thought is less about how fast ram is but what people will give away for convienance.

cloud latency is pathetic compared to ram latency but the conienance to do anywhere will push it over the edge.

i personally think ram will still have a place in larger and larger quantities, and at some point ram latency will have to drop even further to make it viable.

3. merlin13

merlin13 Member

but will you save it for a rainy day?...

4. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Scary thing is, the faster and more available RAM will become in the future regardless whether or not ending up integrated into the storage media (or the storage media becoming purely RAM), the more bloated and insidious the operating systems will be.

Yes, I'm staring at you bastards, Microsoft...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    cmi83 likes this.
  5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

But what about the prices....what will they be like. It's all about price for me, I'm happy to load up any system with heaps of ram, if it's reasonably priced.