1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ram Prices

Discussion in 'Memory' started by lawrencep93, Jun 2, 2017.

1. lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

So as we know RAM prices are quite high and don't seem to be heading down anytime soon.

Where do you think RAM prices will go with the AMD releases and the X299 releases from intel?

I have a feeling many people will upgrade to these systems as they are finally proper upgrades from x79 and other late systems running DDR3 memory so people will need to buy new ram.

I expect RAM prices to stay steady or increase with no chance of decreasing.

What is everyone's thoughts?

Hoping this can be a copy of the HDD prices thread where we update price movements and good ram deals

2. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

shows how ram prices (DDR4) have risen in price accross the board by 50-100% since 2016

it's a conspiracy i tell ya. they're squeezing supply to create a scarcity.

3. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

AFAIK there are two main factors that influence prices that I've gleaned over the years.

(1) At the end of Q2 of every year is summer break in the USA followed by back to school season and this means everyone is buying new PC's and laptops that use RAM so prices tend to start going up around May/June and be high during most of Q3 so this is the time to avoid buying RAM unless you absolutely have to.

(2) Manufacturers apparently can switch from making memory for RAM sticks to memory for SSD drives with relative ease and if the prices are higher for the latter they reduce production for the former so they can make more profit, consequently RAM prices will also track upwards to match because of reduced supply.

4. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

interesting to hear. anyway, it's evident that in manufacturing supply can be tweaked however they want to. demand for memory remains high as higher memory capacity is being put into devices across the board...at least that is another spin on it i read today...

5. vid_ghost

vid_ghost Member

Ram prices are just going up and up and up.. i used to purchase 8GB's of DDR4 for $30 its now $106 for the same single stick of Kingstone DDR4
    Oh and i purchased 16GB's of 3000Mhz Gskill RGB DDR4 for $170 .. its now $379

I have no idea whats going on.. prices in the past few years have skyrocketed i thought it was crypto coin miners but they dont need anymore then 8Gb's of cheapo speed single channel ram.

DDR3 has even gone up in price.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  6. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

just ridddikyoulusss...
    im used to dirt cheap ram. i've been staring at the shopping list thinking. yes, i need ram. but wtf!?!? $$$$$$$$$

i found an old system upgrade list from 2012....the 16gb ram component was 69 aud :lol:

7. mils1

mils1 Member

Silicon wafer supply shortage. The cost of wafers went down & production slowed, now it is in demand production can't keep up.

8. vid_ghost

vid_ghost Member

I'll see how prices are sometimes next year as we need more for our Office PC's but i dont want to get ripped off

9. ChickenSausage

ChickenSausage Member

My oldish 4690k platform is begging for an upgrade but I just can't swallow $320 for a 16gb kit of DDR4, I'm going to hold off until the new year with hopes the price will drop a bit.

10. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I paid $399 for THIS 32GB kit of LPX 2666 on 27/9. Now $575, same retailer. I'm wishing I'd thrown another 100 bucks at it at the time and gotten 3200 instead, its now financially silly to pay the extra for the upgrade.

11. B.D.R

B.D.R Member

I'm bleeding, I grabbed a 8400 and board at release, and now it just sits on the floor laughing at me, because I can't justify spending money on some DDR4, have been watching my cart just go up and up in price:lol::lol::lol::lol:

12. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

ayles likes this.
  13. vid_ghost

vid_ghost Member

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  14. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

How do you all feel about people reselling their used DDR4 at inflated prices? There was quite an obvious example today of someone on OCAU listing their DDR4 based on a reasonable discount from their original purchase cost (apparently back a few years ago), then removing the sale after realising how much more their DDR4 could be listed for given today's retail prices

Similar things have happened with GPU sales during changes in USD value and crypto demand too - seems kind of scummy imho, but hey, I guess used PC components are a capitalist market haha

15. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

You could apply that same question to 'how do you feel about paying more for the Apple that someone bought 20 years ago than it cost them.' If someone wants to sell me a 2x16GB kit of TridentZ c14 3200 which they bought for $500 in Sept for $550, I'll gratefully accept, because I cannot buy the same kit for anything like that price now. A decent saving is still a decent saving.

tunksy likes this.
  16. tunksy

tunksy Member

Justifying buying higher spec ram is so hard right now

17. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

Are you referring to the fruit, or a technology company's products?

l_ QuadX_l and Ratzz like this.
  18. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Not sure why that would be a problem, say he/she is selling to upgrade his RAM/GPU, do you begrudge them maximising resale value so to minimise his cost of upgrade?

As long as it is sold at a resonable discount to factor in secondhand value for today, good luck to them

19. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

If you can get away with selling a used product for more than you paid for it new, that's great for the cost of upgrading for sure. It's just a sad state of affairs that the market warrants this in the first place I guess! It's not as if consumers are moonlighting as investors in this instance...

I wonder if we'll all get a $20 pay out in the future for another round of flash memory colussion charges haha...

20. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Personally I'd prefer the fruit, even though its 20 years old.. but no, I wasn't referring to the fruit :lol:. Resale prices are based on all kinds of things, in the case of a 20 year old Apple computer, its worth more now than it was new. RAM costs (a lot) more now than it did 6 months ago ( or even since I last bought only 3 months ago), the secondhand value has to change accordingly. I have no issue at all with paying extra, that's just the way the secondhand market works. Its not gouging or profiteering, its just sensible.

ipv6ready likes this.