1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

RAM - What do you look for in good ram?

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by AdamMB23, Jun 29, 2020.

1. AdamMB23

AdamMB23 Member

Hello,

I am just wondering what characteristics of RAM make it desirable? I am interested in building a ryzen system and understand they run best at around 3600. But a friend of mine has also confused me trying to explain CL / Timings / Frequency / B-die etc etc. I was hoping someone could let me know what they look for in good ram

I recently grabbed this info from my RAM (32gb Corsair Vengeance 3200) and was hoping for an interpretation of the info. (see below)

I am not looking into major overclocking or anything - more just interested in generally learning about it. Any links to previous threads (had a look albeit brief) / external or personal Info would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,
    Adam.
    upload_2020-6-29_12-48-29.png

2. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

Thaiphoon burner can be used as a reference but it is not accurate at times, with G.Skill and Corsair they have version number you can look at which will tell you the exact IC fitted on your kit.

For me it is memory frequency > tCL > VDIMM > other primiary timings, if you do not care about overclocking you just want plug and play there is no need to worry which IC is fitted on your kit nor the PCB version.

AdamMB23 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    AdamMB23

AdamMB23 Member

Thanks for the response! I don't particularly care about extreme overclocking but I am interested in optimizing my system. Sounds like I should prioritise memory speed over CL. I might just stick with some 3600 CL16 for now and re-evaluate down the track.

Thanks again

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

What do I look for? Light's lots of lights!! Just kidding, my ram has no led's. I look for a decent known brand for perceived reliability and good times under warranties if I ever need it. I don't heavily oc these days so not particularly looking at certain types or timings.

5. OP
    OP
    AdamMB23

AdamMB23 Member

Haha - same i bought some Tforce Dark Pro off the forums recently just so i can get rid of the RGB on the corsair.

I guess all i want is to know that my system is optimised and im not leaving performance on the table even if i will unlikely ever perceive a performance difference

6. koopz

koopz Member

I speak to the staff at OCAU sponsor ComputerAlliance.com.au and check on their return rates.

As a Brisbane local, I send family and friends to this retailer.

They let me down occasionally, though I can help with that.

I wish I could say the same for my time as a Dell and HP contractor.

Where do you send yours?