RAM Woes

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by WRX_STi, Sep 14, 2018.

1. WRX_STi

WRX_STi Member

So according to Google this is a pretty normal issue for Ryzen. (have 2600X)

Got an Asrock X370 board, some G Skill DDR4 CL16 1.35V 3200Mhz ram (2x8gb sticks). Doesn't run at 3200mhz, with 1.4Volts I can get 3000Mhz tops.
    Was happy with that going from DDR3 1666 anyway from my old i7 Skylake.

Decided to get another 16gb to make 32gb (same ram 2x8gb) and fill the slots. I read Ryzen hates 4 slots full and sure enough the best I can do is 2733Mhz even with SOC voltage up and Ram Voltage up she wont hit the next choice of 2833Mhz.
    So I decided to roll with 2733Mhz and change timings from 16-18-18-38 to 16-16-16-36 and it stress tests just fine, so in my mind i'm going to pretend now it's the same speed at 3000Mhz with the looser timings.

I have an MSI X470 Board lying around that cost me $300 and I should either sell or do something with but I don't like it, It had issues and I sent it RMA and got another sent back but haven't even opened it, it gives me bad vibes and I just like the X370 it works, the X470 was rubbish and wouldn't power all my copious USB devices properly. But I read that X470 is far superior in RAM speeds and overclocking for Ryzen, I could possibly be able to achieve the rated 3200Mhz.. Is it worth it for the extra couple hundred Mhz to pull apart my build? I mean with the tighter timings i'm running with the slower speed it can't be that much difference, I read about some infinity fabric and MHZ means more in AMD and blah blah maybe i'll sell it.

2. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Is there a question in there? Stick with the ASRock board, my experience with them is very good, my experience with MSI, not so.

WRX_STi likes this.
  3. im late

im late Member

I read that Samsung b-die ICs are what you need to achieve rated clocks (or higher).

Samsung b-die is almost 8gb sticks and equal timings. E.g 3200-14-14-14 from the factory bin.

if you can do 2733-16-16-16-36.... call it a day, stop worrying about numbers.. Only, comes into play if you are running benchmarks software for scores.

WRX_STi likes this.
  4. dasa2

dasa2 Member

x370 vs x470 doesn't make much difference to RAM speed from the little I have seen.
    Ryzen 2 is much better than Ryzen 1 and top end MB like ASUS Crosshair handle 4 sticks much better than most thanks to there thick PCB and the work they put into the MB and its BIOS.

If you want to try again use this tool to work out sub timings and if your MB BIOS is doing a bad job of automatically configuring them you could hit higher speeds.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/

Higher ram speeds can be noticeable in CPU limited sections of gameplay not just in benchmarks and can make a bigger difference to some program load times than a NVME SSD vs SATA.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    pwlm1975, WRX_STi and im late like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    WRX_STi

WRX_STi Member

Thanks guys, was not sure if I should have another crack at the MSI X470 or not but I keep hearing they are rubbish boards and my experience with one so far hasn't been good.

I'll just be happy with what I've achieved. Might even be able to tighten the timings a touch more, haven't tried.

pwlm1975 likes this.
  6. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Aaah, but that's part of the fun of overclocking!

The difference between 3000MHz and 3200MHz is going to be negligible on frame rates, it's less than 10% difference. Timings may play a bigger role when the speed maxes out.

WRX_STi likes this.
  7. dasa2

dasa2 Member

Yep
    Then combine that % increase with 5-10% from overclocking the CPU and the two together becomes a decent increase.
    Currently his at 2733MHz and while with tweaking it may be possible to get 2933 stable I doubt 3200+ is going to happen without replacing the MB which is not worth the outlay.

8. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

He can still OC the CPU and leave the RAM as-is?

WRX_STi likes this.
  9. dasa2

dasa2 Member

Yep but he has probably lost more performance by having the ram run 2733 than he can get back by overclocking the CPU. Overclocking the CPU will also raise power use significantly.

10. panzerd18

panzerd18 Member

Actually I have read that B450 and X470 are much better for ram compatibility and running ram at their rated speeds. Before you change the motherboard out, google and download the Ryzen DRAM Calculator. Put your ram in if its on the list and tweak your timings accordingly as per the calculator. Gskill actually have dedicated AMD Ryzen ram that have pre-programmed timings tweaked for Ryzen instead of Intel. But if you use the calculator you will hopefully get the same result.

WRX_STi likes this.
  11. dasa2

dasa2 Member

Guess it depends on the BIOS as the chipset doesn't affect the RAM with the memory controller being on the CPU
    Top end X370 MB are still well ahead of budget X470

WRX_STi likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    WRX_STi

WRX_STi Member

Yeah I think I made a mistake going with CL16 ram as I hear the CL14 is most guaranteed to smash out rated speeds in Ryzen boards.
    But I've spent too much on 32GB of it now to back out.

I think I want to stay away from the MSI X470 board I have and stick with the Asrock X370, I've tried to get closer to 3000Mhz but I don't think I can, tried high voltages and no luck. Even though the ram is "rated" 3200Mhz
    https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X/index.asp#Specification <- My board!
    That link if you scroll down a bit it shows the ram speed information chart and it seems slot A1 and B1 can't handle as fast as A2 and B2 which is odd? See when I had two sticks in A2 and B2 I got 3000Mhz, now I populated all 4 and I only get 2733. Must be why.

Just checking the MSI X470 I have and it seems putting it in would be a waste of time.
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PLUS#support-mem-11
    My ram G.Skill Sniper X F4-3200C16D is only supported to 2400Mhz on that board. So maybe I am doing well on the X370 anyway.

As for Overclocking the CPU the auto settings does better than manual, it smashes more speed when only 1-2 cores used and that's gaming.

13. dasa2

dasa2 Member

Wouldn't make much difference when running 4 sticks on a budget MB.

WRX_STi likes this.
  14. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Ive aways had trouble with my Hynix kit of 32gb (2x16gb) 3000mhz Corsair LED ram in my x370 Asus board. PC didnt stop doing weird shit until after a year of updates tbh.

Just finished a build for young member of my gaming org.

2600, MSI b450 pro carbon, 16gb (2x8) corsair RGB 3466mhz. This kit is samsung b-die and the XMP profile on the motherboard booted it perfectly at 3466mhz and I am a bit jealous haha.

If I build my pc again I would make the point of getting samsung b-die.

WRX_STi likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    WRX_STi

WRX_STi Member

Damn that's awesome, jealous too. What I have learnt is the Samsung b-die is the ducks nuts.

I'm well impressed with the Ryzen auto overlocking on this board, nothing I set manually does any better, it just goes above and beyond when I need it.
    Threw in a liquid cooler few days ago, the wraith spire stock cooler is NOT very good, 90C under load in the tropics here.. Now it doesn't budge past 63C.

16. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

THis is the kit if you are keen.

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product...4xSn0U1_JcCjFliM_PdXNEvCnHsgj_IhoCFloQAvD_BwE

Ask Scorptec for a deal. THis is a discontinued kit so stocks will run try at some point.

17. OP
    OP
    WRX_STi

WRX_STi Member

Thanks, but I have about $600 worth of ram in here now 4x 8gb sticks and I just can't justify re doing it for a few Mhz, but might build another PC soon for family and if so i'll ship my stuff over to that and upgrade my ram in the process.

18. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Yeh I hear you. My 32gb kit was only $300 when I got it. So replacing it with a 32gb kit of samsung bdie is an expensive operation...

WRX_STi likes this.