1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Random and not so random black screen's requiring hard reset

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by elementalelf, Jan 24, 2013.

1. elementalelf

elementalelf Member

This started happening a few weeks ago, at first it was almost completely random. I would be doing anything from browsing websites, mucking around with databases, playing games etc. and the monitor would suddenly go black and come up with a 'no signal' message. The only way to make the computer responsive after this was to hard reset.

I say "almost random" because it would only ever happen when I was at the computer. I could leave it idling for days without issue.

Until recently I've never been able to reproduce the issue, however, today it has begun to happen, without fail, every time I attempt to load up DOTA 2. I can play games that require a similar resource load(CS:GO) without a hitch, however the error now occurs as soon as the initial loading screen finishes in DOTA.

A quick google search showed there have been a few people with the issue that also have an M6500, the fix that seemed most successful was replacing the standard hynix ram, however the ram in my laptop was replaced prior to buying it.

Machine specs:
    Dell Precision M6500
    Intel i7 920XM
    4gb Samsung ram
    Nvidia Quadro FX2800M
    Windows 7 64bit

I've also tried re-installing display drivers, both the Dell and Nvidia variants and 3 previous versions of them, as well as reseating the ram. I've recently ordered some new ram from iibuy however I'm not too confident that this will solve the problem.

I should also mention that I use a secondary monitor with this laptop, however the issue happens even when it's disconnected.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  2. tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

over-heating?
    have you given it an internal cleaning?
    replaced TIM?

3. OP
    OP
    elementalelf

elementalelf Member

I have it running with both the underside casing and battery removed, sitting on a zalman NC2000.
    Core temp rarely gets above 75*

4. azalin79

azalin79 Member

5. OP
    OP
    elementalelf

elementalelf Member

Yeah, tried that earlier today to no avail :( .

I've managed to get it working now by deleting my config files for dota, however the "random" black screen's still persist.

6. MR RB30

MR RB30 Member

CoreTemp doesn't report GPU temps, try using HWMonitor, put some load on the GPU and let us know what sort of temps it sees.

7. azalin79

azalin79 Member

If the gpu temps arent happy from your findings I would strip and clean as tiro_uspsss posted as it takes stuff all to clog fins and fans in laptops:thumbup:

8. OP
    OP
    elementalelf

elementalelf Member

I'm a bit wary of mucking around with the internals of a laptop, gimme any desktop hardware and I'll rip it apart without issue, however I have no experience with laptop repair whatsoever.

That being said, I did clean it a few weeks ago via air compressor into the cooling fins.

HWMonitor reports GPU temp at 54*c and problem still persists.