Random Crashing - CPU or Mem?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Sipheren, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

Hey,

So I have been getting some random bluescreens and hard locks while playing things like Forza, Metro or rendering in Blender.

I have reset Windows to ensure it's not a Software thing and now I am leaning towards either the CPU or the Memory. In AIDA I get a error in the stability test when I stress cache. I changed my memory to run at 3000MHz and the cache error stopped so I figured that may have been the issue (the memory is rated for 3200). But last night I have a render run and it crashed while completing it.

I have run mem tests and don't seem to be getting any errors so I am just not sure, I wouldn't think the cache on the CPU would go bad, it's not even that old.

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts?

2. philquad

philquad Member

does the event viewer point to any errors, like driver etc

3. OP
    OP
    Sipheren

Sipheren Member

Nope, but I think I have figured it out. Must be the mem controller on the chip, seems it's not liking the 3200 memory speed. I lowered it to stock 2400 and no issues, but as soon as I go back to 3200 it crashes the test. I have found that the load line on this board are set to 5 by default as well, so lowered them to 3 (vCore and SOC) and set the mem to 3000 and it's running ok again. No crash in AIDA.

Will see how it goes I guess.

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

What are your temps like?

5. OP
    OP
    Sipheren

Sipheren Member

Using the noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 which works great, but it keeps the temps around 60-70 under load in aida, the tjunction (I always confuse them, the one that reads 20+) sits at 95 which is right on the max, but that's only when being stressed in aida, normally it's all fine.

6. de_overfiend

de_overfiend Member

remove overclock and test - also do hdd test - speedfan has a nifty smart checker that works for most hdds...quicker indication than doing seatools etc... might also show cpu overheating issues... also nod32 online scan for viruses and mandatory malwarebytes scan for malware - i know you said you did a reset but some things still persist. adwclean is good too.

7. OP
    OP
    Sipheren

Sipheren Member

It's all sorted now, was the mem controller and the speed. Seems lowering the load line calibration and then lowering the mem speed worked a charm, rock solid in Aida now and haven't had a crash since.

TR first gen does have issues with high speed mem and I am running 4 sticks (quad channel), the official spec is only 2666MHz so I guess I can't complain to much.