Random graphics crashes ??

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by aussie-revhead, Dec 12, 2017.

1. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Guys, I have been playing with 8700K tuning with my itx build but it has been giving me trouble, I have been chasing a weird issue where Luxmark crashes while running RealBench, so I have been stuffing around thinking something is wrong with my tune, I sometimes get severe graphical corruption before Luxmark crashes (along with things dropping in and out on desktop) and I have seen desptop items like open coretemp being redrawn really slowly or AB monitoring disappears then comes back. Then I was doing some other testing and I noticed I get the same thing in LinX (not using GPU in stress tests) and another important clue - I luckily had Afterburner monitoring open and I noticed my manually set fan speed of 60% dropped to zero, so this indicates a driver crash right?

I have never been a big believer in DDU cleanups and strict driver installs as I am a frequent hardware swapper and windows seems to handle things well. So do you guys think it might be a shonky video card? I get no crashes while benchmarking or gaming, it seems to run fine, it only seems to occur in RealBench but also randomly with no load (just watching desktop).

The GPU is all stock and the issue occured at stock clocks, I thought I found something at one point as I maxed the power and volts sliders and it passed realbench, but the next day it failed again with the same settings. I am concerned that I am chasing a ghost and it's a GPU issue.

What do you guys think? Yes I have tried a multitude of CPU and ram settings including all default and Luxmark still crashes.

On a seperate note I noticed my pcie slot runs at 8x due to the m.2 SSD fitted, this couldn't be a factor could it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

2. Roscosity

Roscosity Member

The random drop to zero for your graphics card fans might suggest a crash there

If you could perhaps get your hand on another graphics card to chuck in and just test, that'd be the fastest way to trouble shoot and isolate the issue

3. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Interestingly it's a Gigabyte GTX1070 itx version that's playing up, I don't have a spare GPU at the moment but it's also worth noting that it doesn't play up in games or GPU benchmarks, only in system benchmarks or even idling on desktop.

:)