Rangefinder calibration

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by djfiesta, Mar 11, 2019.

1. djfiesta

djfiesta Member

Anyone in Sydney good at calibrating the image of rangefinders?

I have a Zeiss Ikon ZM where there is vertical misalignment, and I feel it affects my focusing.
    I've contacted Mainline photo, who suggest I contact CR Kennedy (which I will) and also Camera Clinic Vic.
    I feel my camera won't be back in time if I send it to Melbourne.

Bit frightened to give it a go myself

There's a good video here - but no explanation how to then make sure it's calibrated re focus. Also that's a lot of parts to take out.

2. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Been a while but vertical is a bit less of an issue than horizontal (if I've got that right). The process for the ikon certainly looks a lot more finicky and more parts to remove, all the ones I've done just need the hotshoe removed (mostly bessa). Strange though, since it is still out of the same cosina factory but perhaps the zeiss was built to tighter tolerance so less of an issue, my bessas are always moving about.

Camera clinic should certainly be able to do it as the official leica repair centre not sure about crk though but worth asking. But if anything It'll probably have to go to their melb base anyway. The process itself is pretty easy just calibrate for min and infinity. Need nice flat surface and a rule, line up with film plane and curved object at distance and it helps to have a few other rangefinders that you know are calibrated to compare, a bit like squaring a square.

Iirc Serrano on the forums here had a nice write up albeit for bessa, good luck with whichever way you end up going.

3. Hades_au

Hades_au Member

As you're in Sydney, maybe contact Reza at http://www.fivestarcamerarepairs.com.au/ ? He's fixed quite a few of my digital and film cameras over the years. Reasonably priced too. I've no connection, but have used him for several cameras in the past, including an old Yashica rangefinder, and been happy with the results.

4. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

I'd get in touch with Paul at Sydney Camera Repairs

http://sydneycamerarepairs.com.au/

I have my Makina 67 and Contax T2 there at the moment and what they can do and source is quite fantastic. The only thing is turn around, not sure how fast they can do it for you.

Otherwise definitely get in touch with Onrelas on the forums here. He might have some more info he can help you. And if he hasnt logged on here a while. Drop me a msg on facebook because I can connect you both on there.

5. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Yeh thats him, couldn't recall his forum ID. Haven't seen him in a while, last I heard he was moving his gallery, had ditched his bessas for a bunch of leicas. Bit of a spending spree but I assume all is well for him.

Having said that, hes only had bessas, leicas and om1 so idk how much he knows with ikon. It is worth contacting him though as he I in Sydney, perhaps he could help the op out in person. The calibration process it's is really straight forward if anything a little repetitive. I'd offer to help but im currently 6 hours away!

Jack, what in the world are they doing with that T2, I thought those things are pretty much irreparable!?

6. OP
    OP
    djfiesta

djfiesta Member

Thanks so much guys!

Yeah CRK hasn't got back to me, neither has Zeiss.
    I've asked sydney camera repairs for a quote, but they open Wed-Fri so hopefully hear from them today.
    Would love to get in touch with Onrelas, just shot him a message now and if he doesn't get back to me I'll take you up on the offer Horrorland.

And Deftone2k, great to hear from you!

7. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Sorry man don't mean to disappoint but what I mean't to say is I'd offer to help but I really can't ATM. I've just been discharged from hospital and need to get to sydney within a week or so to organise uni and accommodation as soon as I am up for it. Unfortunately I doubt I'd have the energies to assist you during that time at least physically in person.

Again, sorry for the confusion but I do hope you can end up sorting something out, perhaps buying a second backup camera (cheap bessa) just for the trip if you got the monies? Certainly more stress free if you can do it while having the the ikon properly tuned up however long it takes...then just sell it when you are back.

BTW: re CRK all product major repairs (eg dji drones, hassleblad, geosystems/medical ) are done via melbourne repair centre. It may be different at each centre, but they don't directly deal with rangefinders last time I checked? They do stock some zeiss glass but yeh, they deal with leica rangefinders and surveying equipment but that is a bit different from camera systems. TLDR: I would forget CRK at this point if you need it done quickly. Too big company, too much procedure, better off find small competent camera repair shop that doesn't have a lot of jobs or willing to expedite for extra. After all, it really isn't too big of a job relatively speaking.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  8. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Haha yeah it has been a while, he's doing some other really cool stuff but hasnt had the gallery for a few years :) I still catchup with him for coffee when we can. He's pretty knowledgeable in the different things its a skill I would like to learn tbh.. things you can use to keep your own cameras in check.

The T2.. it had a dicky focus mode/dial and they have the part to be able to fix it. I didnt think so but as soon as I described it he said yep I know it, will see what we can do. Very stoked as I was going to sell it for parts but now I can sell it in full working order :)

9. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Ahh Salerno* that's Italian right? Yeh last spoke with him in 2015 or something, didn't realise he didn't have gallery anymore. But holy shiet looks like he has been busy all over the place with a bunch of start ups!

Good news on the T2 pretty unreal but good if they can get it going. Would be real easy sell especially if they have some kind of service warranty with it. Definitely won't be losing money ;)

10. OP
    OP
    djfiesta

djfiesta Member

Ah no completely understand.
    I meant the offer to put us in touch via facebook.