1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Rant] F connectors annoy me.

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by Goth, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Bismar

Bismar Member

Yep, i use them as a disposable means of handing around Word/ Excel documents to friends. Usb is too much of a hassle if the other person forgets to bring it back....

2. Tobes1990

Tobes1990 Member

the plugs for front USB. in my case at least anyway. i had to hold four little things together to fit onto the mobo.

3. DavoRulz

DavoRulz (Banned or Deleted)

That's what email/webspace is for. :thumbup:

4. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

Even CD media is disposable enough as well if internet access isnt around

5. tin

tin Member

And USB flash disks are almost like that now too.
    Sad how everything is becoming disposable now...

6. Kaine[zof]

Kaine[zof] Member

I love RCAs. mix-and-matchable, wideley available, and 99% of the time color coded correctly. only complaint with them is the variety of formats that use them, and tech illiterate people can get all kinds of weird plug configurations (actually Foxtel install guys make some pretty strange setups with different Input/Output options. i almost always re-wire after one of them has come through to make the system make sense.)

the old RF cable plugs, not sure what their actual name is, i'm sure they've been mentioned. absolute pricks of things, just a pain to terminate, use, and the signal transfer quality is terrible. (usually because of corrosion that sets in about a week after you open the packet) add to that the idiot factor with people twisting the cable in an attempt to unplug the things and they just generally suck.

booted cat5 are a pet hate of mine. there is a different boot style to the full one that works quite well tho.

Cheap molex connectors are a pain in the arse to work with.

proprietry connectors. ugh.

3-pin fan headers. a bastard to get on and off, and fiddly to terminate. if you've got a slightly bent pin on a motherboard header hidden away in some bastard spot, forget ever getting a fan on it without removing your motherboard.

those 2-pin power leads commonly seen on radios and some laptops. (my old Toshiba Sattelite... something used one) usually used with a thinly insulated 2-wire lead that often becomes damaged just before the plug from normal use. i had one blow up in my face one day, woke up on the floor with no fingerprints and a decent flash burn in my vision. never liked them since.

7. LiNERROR

LiNERROR Member

the little connector at the end has a tiny plastic clip that secures the ribbon... these break... quite easily when the ribbon is the pull-tab... and i've seen a few cables that die after being tugged on to be removed...

also makes bending the pins more likely

8. LiNERROR

LiNERROR Member

Got a creative audigy with a live drive? or a nice combo card reader? fan controller?

And i take it you either slipsteam your drivers, or don't have a driver you need to load for your OS to SEE your HDDs :p

9. Privatteer

Privatteer Member

I will always remember the 6 months I spent connecting 32pair (64core) cables to 80 pin connectors for a instrumentation recording system.
    Soldier conections and trying to get the pins themselve to line up with the socket base was a nightmare.

10. fabricator

fabricator Member

Hmm I think the USB A socket is the worst, unless you have light shining into it you can't actually see which way around it is.

F connectors are annoying, I agree on that part as I have a gang of 3 sockets in my loungeroom. Plus I had to tighten up the plugs with an adjustable wrench to keep the plugs from twisting loose.

180 degree 5 pin din connectors, anyone remember those ? Oh boy the contacts always seem loose and get looser when you solder them. There is also a rarer 360degree version which fits any of 4 different ways lol.

Mini din (like the 4 pin svideo) are hell to solder, the solder is the only thing attaching the wires to the pins.

The pcb headers, why 2.54mm and 2mm ? Does 1/2 a mm really matter that much ?

11. OP
    OP
    Goth

Goth Grumpy Member

2.54mm = 0.1 inches.

Almost everything that mounts on a PCB is traditionally made with dimensions that are a nice round number of thousandths of inches.

12. fabricator

fabricator Member

Yes 2.54 mm you can solder without too much difficulty, but the 2mm ones aren't so easy. Plus the breadboards are 2.54 themselves.

13. ipAlien

ipAlien Member

Dick Smith - Part No: P6630

I know what you are talking about... One of those will fix the issue!

14. King of Cool

King of Cool Member

Yeah mate I know what you mean, those Amphenol connectors get very tedious when you get to the 20+ pin varieties. As well as the fact they have five or six alignment lugs, which can be a pain to complete the connection when you can't see it. No issues with their performance in rain, mud or dust.

Something a little more unique is the kemlon range of glass sealed electrical feed through connectors. www.kemlon.com One of their uses are for the electrical connections between the wireline and our downhole tools. Some are rated to 500F and 25K PSI. They can be a real pain, the boots are super tight to push over the connector, the high temp sleeves are even worse. The crimpers need a hell of a lot of force to crimp properly. When you always have a minimum of seven to do, sore fingers are a certainty. These are more temporary connections and are usually renewed every month, sometimes sooner. It's my fav connector for the time being, just for its shear survivability.

KoC

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  15. OP
    OP
    Goth

Goth Grumpy Member

They look like they'd make a good UHV feedthrough.