1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

RANT: MSI Laptop Failure - Twice.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by jpw007, Sep 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I am not sure where else to put this but i'm really annoyed.

I am so extremely disappointed MSI and theirproducts.

12 months ago i spent a large sum of money on a 'high end' GT60 laptop, only to have the screen fail within a short period of time.

I contacted MSI and despite a bit of stuffing around theyreplaced my screen under warranty and I was still satisfied and happy with the laptop and the company.

Fastforward another few months to now. The screen failed yet again for no reason, so i contact support thinking I wont have any issues again but boy was i wrong!!! I was responded to with blame, being told that the damage was due to me twisting the panel and there being "no other reason for an LCD to fail". NO OTHER REASON? Are they serious? Just disregarded the fact I already had a claim in the past for the same reason...

So now these jokers expect me to pay $480 to fix a screen that has genuinely failed under warranty AGAIN. THEIR FAULTY PRODUCT and they expect ME to pay for it? I can no longer support their brand. I can no longer spread the word of how satisfied I have been, and all i can do now is tell everyone how terrible their product is and my experiences with them are. This is pathetic. $2k on a laptop and it doesn't even work like it should. How can anyone treat a customer like this when their product failed twice within a 1 year warranty period and they still want to wash their hands of it?

Never again MSI. Never again.

2. OP
    OP
    jpw007

jpw007 Member

Correction. They want $600 to replace the screen, because after my email telling you to check my warranty issue all you can say is that it's a 3K screen so costs more. Pathetic. Didn't acknowledge anything.

3. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

Eh, just start threatening consumer affairs and whatever. I'd like to see them prove it was twisted if it's not cracked or warped.

4. power

power Member

Yeah go hell bent at them, point out the previous failure and tell them that their attitude is now at the point where you will be seeking a refund on the entire machine as is your right under Australian consumer law. I'd only do this if you are 200% confident you didn't break it somehow and they cannot prove you did....

5. OP
    OP
    jpw007

jpw007 Member

Both times this has occured, i've litterally walked away to come back and find the latop like this.

Have advised them i'm going to fair trading, and as i type this i'm completing the relevant application to take this further. So angry.

6. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Call them on the phone & insist on speaking to a manager. Then give him a earful. Pretty sure there are some reps on this forum that could help.

I'm really surprised that they actually accused you of damaging the screen with zero evidence. That's really poor form indeed. Make sure you get the name if the person that accused you.

7. power

power Member

If you didn't break it as you say, I suspect a design fault.

8. bennyg

bennyg Member

Weak.

CAV here you come.

However it's the vendor's choice whether to repair, replace or refund. You can push it that you want a refund but legally the remedy's their choice.

You can also request an extension on the warranty period on the screen if it comes to negotiation or tribunal hearing - is it still within warranty or has the 12 months expired? (When I was looking at an MSI lappy a few years back the warranty was 24 months global?)

What is it on the screen that's failing? A connector, cable, something like that?

9. power

power Member

You'd be surprised what a consumer can demand, go for broke OP.

10. OP
    OP
    jpw007

jpw007 Member

They disengaged from me completely so lodged a complaint with Consumer Affairs Victoria and then advised them that I have done so.

At first i wanted the screen repaired, but now I am demanding a full refund. Usually i wouldn't, but it's broken twice now for no reason so it's a design fault or a fault with this particular laptop, because i use it as a desktop replacement...

Anyway, it's got a 12 month warranty but i registered with MSI (probably due to the 1st screen issue) so got an additional 3months for doing so and it falls within that timeframe. I don't want something to get fixed only to have it break again in a few months, i have lost confidence that the laptop is of saleable quality.

Also thanks for the support and ideas everyone, it usually takes a lot for me to get shitty like this but accusing me, dismissing me and not acknowledging anything has really gotten me riled up. I can't believe it.

11. power

power Member

Good on you, unless they can prove what they are claiming that is no way to treat you - sounds very unpleasant.

12. Zangetsu.ssl

Zangetsu.ssl Member

Wow, that's really short for a laptop worth $2K.

You could even claim statutory warranty, outside manufacturers warranty period, citing that for $2K you'd expect it to last more than 12-15 months.

13. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

booj represents MSI Australia. Might be worth flicking him a PM.

14. OP
    OP
    jpw007

jpw007 Member

Thanks.

They responded on facebook. Jesus effing christ.

FYI, that $600 i stated is even per them stating panel is a certain amount, then there is labour and postage on top, to total $600

15. OP
    OP
    jpw007

jpw007 Member

So an update, a member of Consumer Affairs Victoria called me earlier to discuss and advised he will be contacting MSI to help reach a resolution.

I'm open to negotiations, i'm not an unreasonable person. The gentleman completely understood why I am annoyed at the response I got especially since there is history of the same issue.

16. power

power Member

Nice work, shame you had to take it that far.

17. OP
    OP
    jpw007

jpw007 Member

Consumer Affairs Victoria contacted MSI and they basically said get stuffed to me/them.

Sigh. Off to VCAT we go i guess.

18. ChoppedLiver

ChoppedLiver Member

Good to see a company that can afford to piss off it's customer base.
    Lets see how much revenue they lose now.
    Count me and everyone I can tell to start with.:thumbup:

19. MSI Notebook

MSI Notebook Member

Hey Guys

Alicia here from the Marketing team, usually our Service Center handles all issues with notebooks but I have stepped in along with our Country Manager to assess your case.

I contacted you on Facebook as well to let you know I was taking a look and the information I had been given at the time. I am continuing to look into this case and discuss with our Service Center and Country Manager to try to reach a positive outcome.

Once I have more information I will give you a message on Facebook to let you know what we can do.

Cheers!

20. OP
    OP
    jpw007

jpw007 Member

Hi Alicia,

I had responded on Facebook, so not sure if you saw those.

Thanks for looking into it and I await your response.

Honestly the repsonse i've had so far has been extremely unsatisfactory. It's not even like this Wayne fellow acknowledged i've had a warranty claim for the screen in the past, or said he'd take a look at it, it was straight out 'No, you broke it' kind of response.

C'mon. $2k on a laptop, i went to the effort of providing pictures again straight away, contacted you guys to try and discuss, and i get a rude response in return and turned away. Then the kicker is i'm told it'd be $480 all up to fix the screen, but then that's changed to $600 (both amounts i have included the quoted labor and postage costs).

Did i mention he checked the serial number I gave him and still didn't even acknowledge there was a historical claim? That really annoyed me. There hasn't really been a single bit of acknowledgement from your business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.