1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

RANT: MSI Laptop Failure - Twice.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by jpw007, Sep 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChoppedLiver

ChoppedLiver Member

Usually.
    OK.
    Maybe they need to remember they are also consumers.
    Wonder what they'd do if treated the same way.

2. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

The best part is how easily they concluded from your photos that you "twisted the panel" and that there was no reason for an LCD to fail :lol:

They probably worked that out with a thorough hands on inspection.... oh, wait. :p

3. OP
    OP
    jpw007

jpw007 Member

Frickin' tell me about it :rolleyes:

4. Sektion8

Sektion8 Member

/Subscribed

5. Euphoreia

Euphoreia Member

Give us a picture! I mean, if there's an obvious crack in it, then you can't really argue...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  6. Frag

Frag Member

I've seen on the forums MSI really look after their GPU crowd, I guess it may be a different team for laptops?

Really you can tell the calibre of the company by how they handle their warranty. In the end I am sure you will get the right result but you shouldnt have to go through this crap to get it. Sure if you dropped the thing etc, but if it died while it was just on... pfft.

7. OP
    OP
    jpw007

jpw007 Member

I've seen may reports of them being pretty poor on a lot of their products unfortunately, and it wasn't until i started investigating after i ran into issues that i realised it. It's a shame as not long ago i even went into a comp on here to win something and we had to describe our favourite part of some MSI laptop which i answered honestly based on my one and i was so happy with it. Was.

Pic is below that i sent to MSI.

They're saying on the right of the screen it's been twisted. I don't know how, nor do i know why that would break half the screen when the bit they're referring to is so much smaller, and not to mentioned the entire perimeter of the screen also has a white haze all around it so you cant see the edges. On top of that the screen has even burnt in my desktop background, which I cant understand why it'd do that if half the screen still works but it's 'not an LCD fault because they dont break' - why would the entire screen burn in so badly?

Click to view full size!

8. rbdirty

rbdirty Member

If it's still under manufacturers warranty then the only negotiations you should be open to is that it's fixed at their expense - possibly you pay the postage to have it sent to them.

It infuriates me that companies will only respond to warranty issues when you start making a big deal about it on social media. What happened to the debatable level of customers service that was around before facebook? Why do companies have to resort of sending people a private message on facebook when assuming they would have their contact phone number and even email.

If I may ask, you mentioned previously that you registered the laptop when you received it back from the first repair - what was the original date of purchase? Does it still fall within the warranty period? Sorry if I missed that within the thread.

9. OP
    OP
    jpw007

jpw007 Member

It's definitely within 12 months of the screen being replaced the 1st time - From actual date of purchase (i dont have delivery date) it is outside the initial 12 months but within the extra 3 months i got for registering (1 month into it, so 13 months from order).

You're right and all i was after was a screen replacement. I have decided that is no longer satisfactory due to the extents i've had to go to and the way i was treated initially - Reality is it's happened twice now, and i dont feel that the laptop is of saleable quality, hence want a refund instead. If it was the 1st time, sure repair it, and initially i was after that for the 2nd time too as i thought it was reasonable - They didn't see it to be or to treat me reasonably either.

Paying postage to send it back wasn't an issue either for me as if i recall correctly, that's exactly what i had to do the first time.

Jesus christ, they didn't even bother to inspect the actual laptop before telling me I did it let alone bother quoting the correct cost to repair it in the first instance. All of which would have made a big difference, though I know this wasn't caused by me and is the exact same issue as last time so would have had a hard time believing it even if they did actually bother to inspect it, or do anything.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  10. power

power Member

You normally would receive balance of warranty if the screen was replaced - you'll be looking at stat warranty if outside the manufacturers factory warranty from invoice date.

11. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

As you know, we don't allow "Vendor Verdict" type posts, so this thread was temporarily deleted. However given Alicia from MSI Notebook was good enough to respond to this one directly and has indicated she is going to talk to management and then respond, I figure we should leave it open until she's had a chance to post that response. In the meantime, can everyone not directly related to this issue keep the posts down to avoid drowning out the core discussion - thanks.

12. Euphoreia

Euphoreia Member

Not sure if it's a reflection, but the top-right -looks- from here to be a crack, which is indeed physical damage.

Once again, hard to tell without a better pic...

13. OP
    OP
    jpw007

jpw007 Member

Thanks for restoring Agg, appreciate it.

The laptop is packed away and i won't be getting i back out till i've taken it to somewhere to repair, and i fully intend on having them provide me with something to confirm the nature of the damage and 100% state whether it's 'physical' damage or what it is.

Honestly all i can comment on is that the screen looks exactly the same as how it did last time when it went to heaven.

On another note, I would like to thank the community here at OCAU for their support and also Alicia at MSI for appearing to make an effort in stepping in and having this resolved - I am definitely awaiting the outcome finally.

I had been extremely disappointed with the lack of respect I got initially and complete lack of acknowledgement that the service centre offered, and sincerely hope Alicia can assist.

I just wish it didn't have to be escalated in any way for me to have been 'listened' to for the first time. It's a bit sad. Already i've had substantial down time with this laptop and the reality is i'm going to need to take it to someone shortly to have it repaired and seek reimbursement from the company if I don't hear something soon. Boy is it frustrating realising how often you use something and you really don't know what you have until it's gone - No computer for this long is driving me crazy, it was a decent desktop replacement.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2015
  14. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

I understand how you feel with the responses you received, have had similar in the past...not with MSI though, to clarify

On the flip side, I just wonder how many of these companies receive warranty claims from people who have actually broken their item and attempt a warranty claim anyway....you may have unknowingly been caught up in that

Good luck with it

15. MSI Notebook

MSI Notebook Member

Hi Josh

I will reply on Facebook but post here as well. Because it went to CAV we now have to wait for them to come back with a judgement so at this time I really have no news until they come back to us.

My team has said however it may speed up the process if the machine is sent to CAV for inspection so its worth contacting who you spoke to there and checking in.

Cheers

16. OP
    OP
    jpw007

jpw007 Member

Hi Alicia,

I have done the same.

CAV contacted MSI already and were told under no circumstances would you budge. I believe they may have contacted the same service centre as I did, and I have a letter at home confirming CAV were unable to reach an agreement and have provided me the details of VCAT should i wish to pursue this for a binding decision.

I suggest you contact your service centre directly and confirm they have received and rejected the attempted resolution by CAV.

17. bennyg

bennyg Member

If the business doesn't have anything in place to discriminate between 'fraudulent' and genuine claims that is the fault of the business, it is extraordinarily poor CRM to try and intimidate people out of a claim **IF that is the intention behind the initial denial**

I also don't understand some of the attitudes of staff at places like this... it's not like they are a small business and the cost to fix it comes out of their pocket.

Good small businesses understand the inseparability of product and service and that relationship building is more than harvesting an email address to spam new product information (*cough* Samsung *cough*)

18. OP
    OP
    jpw007

jpw007 Member

Took the laptop to a repair place, they had a look at it and within 5 minutes said the screen was faulty. Looking at it they said that the screen on the right was really flimsy and yet absolutely no evidence that the screen had been broken with marks etc anywhere on the chassis etc, and that the whole chassis was solid enough that you couldn't bend it.

The person at the MSI warranty i contacted said the following, "Please do not attempt to open and close lid from corners or edges. Correct way to open and close lid is from the top centre of the screen." - A laptop is meant to be opened, people open it from any part and it should be able to, and it's meant to be portable, but I guess this was a defect in manufacturing.

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  19. power

power Member

"you're holding it wrong?"

hmmm, "correct way to open the laptop....".

lame, that sounds like a design defect realistically if the screen cannot handle simply opening and closing it's just poorly designed.

20. OP
    OP
    jpw007

jpw007 Member

The guy that inspected it literally laughed when i told him that. Walked over to another one, turned it on and opened and closed the lid holding in lots of different ways and with vigor on some, tried to twist the screen a little and said something along the lines of it being the stupidest thing he's heard as how else are you meant to open a laptop and it's a design or manufacturing flaw if it'd break from opening it, but that it made sense with how flimsy the right side felt when the left side of the LCD was solid like it should be

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.