Rant: Sponsoring Kickstarter projects that don't pan out

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Maneki_Neko, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Maneki_Neko

Maneki_Neko Member

Kickstarter is a scam enabler that DOES NOT (as it's stated function would ironically entail) 'facilitate communication between backers and developers'.

It is in fact a hands off middleman that wants to obfuscate the direct link between project developers, that has the effect of limiting Australian consumer options for legal recourse other than to fly to the host country and commence legal action there.

The ACCC will not have your back, when companies successfully complete their project and 'decide' not to fulfill on their rewards selectively with Australians.

In short Kickstarter does not value Australian Consumer Protection Rights.

For proof of this issue follow the continued progress of the Mr. Card Game Kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/336486938/mr-card-game/comments).

Kickstarter is not a reputable company, does not offer ANY consumer protection or provide adequate avenues to Australian consumers to resolve consumer disputes with the agreements between backers and project developers.
    DO NOT KICKSTART ANYTHING UNTIL THEY RESPECT CONSUMER PROTECTION AS THEIR FIRST PRIORITY.

Kick Mr. Scamstarter
    http://s10.postimg.org/stujzv1q1/Kick_Mr_Scam_Starter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  2. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Seems that you unfortunately got burnt on bad projects which is always a risk. I worry that the money I pledge will return nothing but in the case of one of my first backings, it's about to come to fruition; Pillars of Eternity.

Caveat emptor.

EDIT: Though at this point I think I've lost more money on the OCAU forums for bad deals than anything in my life. Still not much but it's happened. I also suspect there will be follow up posts with a similar tune to mine.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  3. power

power Member

Kickstarter offers the chance to invest in something, if you want to buy something then buy it - after it is a thing.

4. mr626

mr626 Member

This.

When you back something on Kickstarter, you are an investor. With all the risks that come with that status. You are not 'pre-ordering' something (a lot of people seem to think this).

Yes, it is possible to get burnt. It's also possible to fund some fantastic products that would not otherwise see the light of day. It's up to the individual to do their research and decide if something is worth backing.

Now excuse me while I go and play Pillars of Eternity :leet:

5. cccino

cccino Member

Kickstarter offers the chance to DONATE not invest.

6. power

power Member

donate, invest - still not a purchase.

7. cccino

cccino Member

It's an important distinction because an investor is promised a return.

8. power

power Member

since when, investing in a startup is a risk - no guaranteed return.

9. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

An investor is not promised a return, however, they are promised a share in the company... which you do not get via Kickstarter.

Its a Donation, pure and simple.

10. power

power Member

It's a donation with a promise attached - that if and when it becomes a thing you get X.

Closer to an investment, but at the end of the day not a purchase which is what the OP is moaning on about - wanting "buyer protection" when they haven't even "bought" anything.

11. cccino

cccino Member

A promise is not a guarantee ;)

But yes. I should have said a share or promise of a proportion of the startup's success.

I know I'm being pedantic but buying a product at a discount is not an investment. Receiving a product/gift in return for your donation is not a return.

^ This is probably the best analogy.

12. Supersize

Supersize Member

I've back 4 projects that reached their goals.

Make Leisure Suit Larry come again! (LSL Reloaded)
    Project Eternity (Pillars of Eternity)

These were finished and I got my game, no time to play Pillars today though.

2 Have been finalized
    Bear Simulator and Into the Stars.

The $15 I spent on Bear Simulator, well come on its a game called "Bear Simulator", a pledge on some mindless fun game, the one man team went silent and has only just come back with updates and has been quiet honest, even updated us on the fact he can't work out how to get the fish to swim randomly.

But like everyone here has said, you are a new company "investor" there's no guarantee in a return, but when there is, it was worth the money you paid. (Payed $20 for Pillars, its now $44.99US, I think it was a payoff investment don't you.)

13. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

I think of it as a simple purchase with one caveat, you may not get your product.

IMO it is like lending money to mate. I'd only do it knowing I would never get it back therefore it would never be anything substantial. 10-20 bucks tops but in saying that I would have to be pretty damn keen on the idea.

14. power

power Member

pretty much, it's all semantics to dance around the fact that the OP wants "buyer protection" when he hasn't "bought" anything.

I mean shit - it's called "crowdFUNDING" not group buy or some such other thing.

Did he get an invoice that says deliver to Joe Blogs one doodad? I doubt it.

15. cccino

cccino Member

The only thing I've kickstarted was Wasteland 2. It came out okay. The only other one I would have considered would be Pillars of Eternity. But there's no functional difference if I donated to kickstarter or bought it today.

I mean I guess some projects wouldn't exist if people didn't donate, and that's their risk, not mine.

16. power

power Member

There is some fucking awesome stuff that exists today that wouldn't without KS.

17. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

I don't believe that. I think if it is so awesome, it will find away.

18. power

power Member

debatable I guess.

Many KS projects I know have been put to publishers (specifically talking game ideas here) and knocked back - then they go to KS and they become reality, with the original devs vision intact.

19. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Kickstarter is good in some ways, but when you have established people or companies hitting kickstarter to essentially outsource all the risk, It kind of cheapens the whole deal.

It should be a one-off thing that a studio or person can do to get off the ground.

20. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Yeah probably, fuck dealing with EA :lol: Game development is probably a bit more unique than tangible items.