1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

rant: Xbox game codes and the downloads associated

Discussion in 'Microsoft Consoles' started by Dr1fty, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Dr1fty

Dr1fty Member

So I recently got an Xbone which came with some games.

Game Codes: (Download)
    Ass Creed BF
    Ass Creed Unity
    Call of Duty AW
    Forza 5
    Dance central

Xbox Live 12m Day One release which comes with Killer Instinct. (yet to install)

Games with discs
    Sunset overdrive

Then I get it setup, all is good.. However, I was already capped for the month. FML So I took the console to a mates place as he's got unlimited 100mbit cable. Figure it would only take a couple of hours, boy was I wrong.

Click to view full size!

What the fuck Microsoft ? Surely knowing how big these games are you would provide discs. And being in Australia, with our stupid internet speeds and caps.

:(

2. lucid

lucid Member

Its retarded that microsoft don't allow us to play disk install games without the disk in the disk tray. Which is why I prefer the digital copies. Hopefully one day they'll change that because waiting a day to download 60gb to play a game I just payed for is annoying.

3. Rezin

Rezin Member

Do any ISPs do quota-free downloads for Xbox stuff? Not that that'd help with the time it'd take to download.

4. HSV

HSV Member

Internode don't count Xbox games towards quota. I prefer digital games - less disk swapping, particularly when you have kids. Just wish you could do it with all games (I'm looking at you, Skylanders and Disney Infinity).

5. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

If you know anyone with those games you can pop the disc in and install the content to save you downloading.

iinet has quota-free Xbox content.

6. power

power Member

ah consoles, just pop the disc in and play - nek minnut, 200GB of d/l's.

7. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Oh yeah, using the disc to install to save your digital download doesn't help all the updates that you also need to download! :tongue:

8. power

power Member

yeah, it's an annoyance I didn't expect when I bought a PS3 - pop in a game, update - RAGEFACE!

I'm from the old school console era, 2600, Megadrive, Saturn etc - they shipped it and they shipped it right. If it was broken you had a lot of splainin to do, now it's just - meh, day 1 patch.

9. Haillion

Haillion Member

How about the video uploads for your actual gaming? Thats got to cost a bit of GBs.

10. Niggle

Niggle Member

I don't know why people don't just get unlimited internet. Let the mental Xbox/Youtube downloads begin.

11. OP
    OP
    Dr1fty

Dr1fty Member

Not everyone lives at home, or has unlimited funds. It's called a budget for a reason. Apparently I didn't budget for bloody 46GB game downloads.

12. Niggle

Niggle Member

So you bought a $500ish console and can't afford to run it?

13. OP
    OP
    Dr1fty

Dr1fty Member

Shitty troll troll's shitty.

Now go beg mummy to let you play your Atari.

14. Niggle

Niggle Member

Troll huh?

I agree with the sentiments of some of the posts here that we should be able to run games without the disc in the drive. I've also wondered why the digital downloads are most of the time more expensive than buying them on discs. But you've just started a thread bitching about doing a big download after buying a very expensive console and then having insufficient internet download allowance to perform updates or downloads of digital copies of games requiring assistance from a friend. The Xbox One can play blu rays so I assume the games come on blu rays also. This means the downloads will be large. I didn't think that was a particularly hard conclusion to come to. So, this is a hum drum thread about someone that can't afford to support the new tech with their internet connection. Take a teaspoon of concrete and harden up princess!

15. OP
    OP
    Dr1fty

Dr1fty Member

We're not in 2004 with 3gb caps dude. While I understand technology changes with higher definition and larger media files. Online digital delivery isn't as smooth in Australia due to our shitty net plans and speeds.

My monthly cap is 120gb. Not overly large, but certainly not small. It does my family 99.9% of the time. We've hit the cap twice in 2 years that we've been on this plan.

The complaint was more regarding the shock of the initial download required to setup the console with the games that came with it.

Given that most people are on ADSL/Cable and not on 100mbit connections.

At 10mbps constant, the download would take 1 Day 16 Hours. Now we all know it's never constant. So you could even add to that count.

It's like giving a kid a battery operated toy for Christmas and then saying he has to wait 12 hours to charge the NiCad's.. (welcome to the 80's)

It fucking sucks. However, if your parents were smart, they would have the batteries ready, or at least buy disposable batteries for the first opening of the present.

But you cannot prepare for such things on consoles. You can't even grab the data from your friend who may have the game already. Buy two consoles for the same household, or even two mates together and they have to each download the exact same data.

16. stitch512

stitch512 Member

Actually you can. Plug in a portable hard drive and copy to all consoles, simple and takes about 10 minutes. Feature was added about 6months ago. You can even install if via disc if you mate has one and still play digital. Also with the Xbox One bundles that have the digital games, if you read the description of the product it states that they are game downloads and even has the sizes on the website. So it should not come as that much of a shock. Yes it does suck for people with slow internet, my workmate has a 2.3mbit connection but didn't complain once when he had to download COD and Halo MCC because he knew what he was in for.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  17. Zerstorer

Zerstorer Member

Hell, if you have a disc copy you can borrow, you can even install that to the hard drive and once it's done you don't need the disc due to your digital licence.

18. OP
    OP
    Dr1fty

Dr1fty Member

Thanks for that. I was under the impression you couldn't borrow someone elses disc etc. Or plug in a HDD to copy over data etc.

19. claf-43

claf-43 Member

I do this, annoyingly I found out the PS4 can't, so a 16gb download will be coming up for me shortly....

20. Zerstorer

Zerstorer Member

One (of many) features I would like the PS4 to copy off the Xbone.