1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Raspberry PI as a HTPC

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by Cadbury, Mar 6, 2012.

1. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Anyone still running Kodi on their Raspberry Pi?

I've got a spare Pi3 that I was hoping to use as a media player for my second TV, but the experience has been terrible. Slow browsing shares, slow starting shows. TV (Via Argus plugin) just flat out wont work.

Is it worth persisting, or should I retire my current NUC to the second PC, and get a new one (with 4K) for my main one?

Or am I better off getting one of the Android sticks?

2. NerfDude

NerfDude Member

Mine working fine. I use plexkodiconnect to sync my library from my plex server and I use tvheadend with no issues for live tv. Using Ethernet (over power) and avoid h265 encoding for local content. Running a fairly recent nightly LIBREELEC build. (Kodi 17 with estuary skin).

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  3. Wozza_au

Wozza_au Member

Yeah using LIBREELEC here as well no issues(pi1 B+ and Pi 3)..if your streaming HD vids Id avoid the wifi....

4. b-man

b-man Member

i run openelec on an old PI B was a little slow but still worked fine just had it running a minimal skin

have upgraded to a Pi B+ using openelec and is pretty good still running a minimal skin
    also running TV through my HDHR fine with the codec purchase

i have a pi2 i planned for RetroPie but thinking i should get a Pi3 with bluetooth so might use that one for Openelec now

i have a NAS that hosts all files so it streams them from there. seems to work fine. only get SD or 720p content though i really can't notice too much difference

5. chook

chook Member

I am using a RPi 3 to run OpenELEC with much happiness. My media is on the Solaris server downstairs and runs fine. It boots quickly although I do sometimes find it locks up for odd reasons but a quick reboot is done and by the time I am sitting down on my couch again it is already back to the start. I use an add-on that auto scans every so often for shows so don't find it taking too long to start a show. It has an 8GB card for storage. IF I could be bothered then the database could be moved off onto the server and would save me in the event of catastrophic failure. The only reason I haven't is that I am a convenience enthusiast (not lazy).

If you already own it, try it out and if it doesn't do it for you then get something new :).

6. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

What can you compare it with?

my experience with OpenELEC on RPi3 is that it "Works" and thats all I can really say about it.

Its not a particularly smooth or pleasant experience when compared to my Crappy Celeron Nuc.

7. chook

chook Member

I had an E6600 Core 2 Duo with 2GB of RAM and a 60GB SSD prior to this and the benefits that I see are the RPi3 is faster to boot and my power bill is lower. I am also only using a C4 micro SD Card. There is no difference I notice between the load times for content between the RPi3 or the former PC. Granted the PC it replaced was not exactly awesome by contemporary standards but I don't think it needed a lot of grunt to do the job it was designed for.

I mostly view 480p and 720p content however it does play 1080p content without skipping, etc. when I actually ask it to do that.Normal file format is MKV.

My wants (or even needs) aren't particularly extravagant. I don't use any of the "fancy" features and probably wouldn't know them. All it has to do is receive a signal from the server and put it on the screen. I have it connected via Ethernet and use a Logitech K400, my phone and the TV remote control via CEC to make it go.

8. archie

archie Member

i've been running libreelec now on the n2820 NUC and rpi3 (though gave the pi to a friend).

supposedly most of the openelec developers left and started libreelec

9. mctrix

mctrix Member

can anyone comment on the rpi competitors on ease of kodi installations and how they handle 4k movies and streaming?

10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Switched from Raspbian+Kodi to LibreElec on my 2 RPi 2B units.

As a Linux guy, it's somewhat annoying how few tools are loaded, how hard it is to add in new tools, and how little you can do from the command line.

Pretending to be your average consumer knob, it's fall-off-a-log easy to use. So I can totally empathise with what they're trying to achieve.

Still not sure how I feel about it. But getting bleeding edge Kodi on Raspbian is becoming difficult, so I'll live with it.

I haven't tried yet, but I have an Orange Pi that does h265 in hardware, that I'm interested to try. I've got some annual leave coming up, so hopefully I'll get that tested soon.

11. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Got my Raspberry Pi3 on Friday, and after a few days of tinkering have it all working as a complete replacement for my microserver.

DietPi as the build, running kodi+sickrage+transmission and an external 2.5 drive for media storage.

Running great, plays 1080p perfectly. Only hiccup is I can't get it to play h265 content so I need to figure that one out. Also would like to figure out how to get ProFTPD to also read from the external drive, but for now I can "download" from kodi to get copies of media to give to people.

Also it reguarly gives me a temperature warning, it sits around 60c no matter what load it's under, tried adjusting it so it only goes to boost clocks when hitting a higher threshold but it hasn't changed anything. The heatsink I have on the SOC is warm so it's definitely transferring heat, guess I'll see if it stops complaining when the case and fan are rigged up.

12. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

How is DietPi as a build

Im running OSMC and its good, but has a habit of crashing so I wouldnt mind finding something else it try

13. elvis

At all, or it's slow? The current RPi hardware has no *hardware* decoder support for h265. Software should work, but you'll be limited to around 720p30 with the current CPU speed.

Don't use FTP. I know that sounds harsh, but don't.

SSH allows you to do a bunch of cool stuff, including "sftp", which is the FTP command subset via an SSH tunnel, without any extra configuration. This is completely encrypted (FTP is not) and automatically available if you have SSH running. Most FTP clients out there will also have an option to do SFTP, so give it a go.

If you're a Windows user, try MobaXTerm. It allows you to connect via SSH for command line, but also has a built in SCP browser (SCP is slightly different to SFTP, but also built-in automatically with SSH) to browse your file store and transfer files back and forth.

Even if you are only running this at home, I urge everyone to stop using FTP. It's grossly outdated and needs to die.

The RPi3 does get a bit warm, and if you're playing h264 media you will be pushing the GPU, and that won't show up in your load monitor for your CPU. Plenty of places sell cheap heatsink kits with adhesive tape for the RPi3's CPU/GPU/RAM. Buy one of those, slap it on, and see how you go.

14. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

It seems great so far, really flexible without being too complicated. Setup over putty was so damn easy

Doesn't play at all currently, I think this is a kodi problem not a Pi3 problem

Ok thanks I'll try it

I am, and thanks!

Put a heatsink on it before I even turned it on. Not even in a case at the moment so outside of having a fan it's in pretty much ideal conditions. When the case arrives it comes with 2 heatsinks anyway so I'll chuck them on instead of the current one and see if it makes a difference (doubtful)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  15. punkerdaleski

punkerdaleski Member

I've had an ODROID C2 as my HTPC/server for nearly a year now.
    h.265 and 4K was the reason I chose it over a RPi at the time.
    Running Libreelec.

Its pretty good. Does what it says it does.
    I'm a linux noob and setup is dead easy. Libreelec has some limitations as mentioned and I can't get around them (no transmission/rtorrent)

Worth a look if you want x265 or 4k

16. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Yeah good tip. My goal was 1080p and it achieved that really well, for $50 total delivered including the case + $17 for an SD card I consider it a massive bargain :)

Will cut my power bill a bit and I guess I can sell the HP now too.

17. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Just got it setup and starting playing with SCP... this is exactly what I needed, thank you so much.

edit:

with the case on it's running quite a bit hotter, safe temp range for the pi3 is meant to be up to 85c but I'm concerned that it always seems to be sitting at max clock and never downclocking... you don't think it's being connected to wifi causing these shenanigans maybe?

edit edit:

Set the governer for the boost clock to 85% load which has helped a LOT without a noticable impact on performance, also staying out of ssh and the config tools is probably contributing. I disabled the bluetooth controller too since I wasn't using it. Going to help a work made build one now :)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  18. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

What do people think of this set up? The idea of a retropie and Kodi in one is cool, but the price seems a tad steep, but I guess that's controllers and all...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Raspberr...e-KODI-Remote-2-5A-Power-Switch-/201657749071

would the keyboard be needed because without that, there are savings to be made.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RetroPie...e-NES-CLASSIC-SNES-N64-SEGA-PSX-/201752438709

and in such a setup what would be the useful size of SD card. (32/64/128) Is the increased cost any real benefit - is the extra capacity needed?

19. elvis

Cheaper from here:
    http://www.thepishop.com.au/plug-n-play-packs

20. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

The ebay one also has Kodi (although that would probably be easy enough to install if needed and is free anyway) and a switched power supply. Aside from that pricing is pretty close but yes its better so thanks.

Looking at the pieshop ones though I see there are two controller styles available

I wonder which is 'better' and why...

http://www.thepishop.com.au/plug-n-play-packs/32gb-pi3-wireless-pack
    (Sony type controllers, $155)

http://www.thepishop.com.au/32gb-tronsmart-pi3-wireless-pack
    (transmart controllers $175)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017