Raspberry Pi might have some competition

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by oclockforlyfe, May 1, 2012.

1. oclockforlyfe

oclockforlyfe Member

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...unveils-ultra-small-next-unit-of-computing-pc

"NUC is a complete 10x10cm (4x4in) Sandy Bridge Core i3/i5 computer. On the back, there are Thunderbolt, HDMI, and USB 3.0 ports. On the motherboard itself (pictured below) there are two SO-DIMM (laptop) memory slots and two mini PCIe headers. On the flip side of the motherboard (pictured below-below), is a CPU socket that takes most mobile Core i3 and i5 processors, and a heatsink and fan assembly."

2. the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

wouldn't call it a competitor - it comes with less and is at least going to be 4 times the price?

3. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

Not really a competitor to me.

4. Reaper_1994

Reaper_1994 Member

Looks interesting. I want more specs and pricing etc.

5. mitsimonsta

mitsimonsta Member

If this is i3/i5, then shouldn't it be posted in the Intel section rather than 'Other'?

Still, looks interesting. Not all of us want ARM microsystems. I'd prefer to see some sort of vanilla storage system based on the upcoming Atoms - something quad core, VT support yadda yadda yadda.

A HP Microserver with a quadcore Atom and 16GB Memory support, VMware compatibility would be just the ticket.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  6. Nam Taf

Nam Taf Member

It's 4x the price, has different features and likely sucks 10x the power. The only relation it bears to the RPi is the form factor. If you want a sub-$100 x86 board, there's already other options.

Not entirely sure how this equates to competition for the RPi. The beagleboard is closer to the RPi than this.

7. stmok

stmok Member

Intel's Next Unit of Computing (NUC)...
    * Different market and purpose. => "...primarily targeted at digital signage and kiosks"
    * Different price range. => "...price point around $100 would be realistic."

Raspberry Pi
    * Low cost, education-oriented solution.

Conclusion?...Not competitor.

8. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Yes, they're in completely different markets.

The NUC looks like it'll be absolutely great, and it will draw away people who saw the Raspberry Pi and thought "hey, mini desktop PC!" However, for the people who are using the Raspberry Pi as it's meant to be used (ie not as a mini desktop PC) that's likely to remain a better option.

$100 seems too cheap to me. That's much the same price as Intel charges for a mini-ITX board with an onboard Atom. Would they really consider selling a mobile Core i5 plus mainboard plus heatsink plus case for the same price?

I can imagine a $100 mainboard + case combo, but I'd be shocked if you got a CPU (even a Celeron) included at that price, let alone RAM, storage, etc.

9. stmok

stmok Member

An update to Intel's mini-pc platform...
    (It was a month ago at Taiwan's Computex 2012.)

Intel's 4-inch Next Unit of Computing to cost $400
    => http://techreport.com/discussions.x/23066

So...
    1st iteration => Q3, 2012 release. $400 solution featuring mobile version of Core i3 (Sandy Bridge) + HM65 chipset + USB 2.0 support + 4GB of RAM + 40GB mSATA SSD
    2nd iteration => Q4, 2012 release. 17W Ivy Bridge based CPU + 7-series chipset + USB 3.0 support + Thunderbolt connectivity...Also affordable Celeron version as option.

Current status?

An Italian website has a video of an Intel rep describing it in English.
    => http://notebookitalia.it/intel-nuc-foto-video-live-15079

...It sounds like he said it'll come in "board-only" and "board with case" versions.

10. thebranded

thebranded Member

Power requirement?

R Pi is some 300-700ma?

11. stmok

stmok Member

Different target market.

12. bYrd

bYrd Member

Looks good for a decent Pico ITX substitute, once prices drop a little. I've been looking for a < $250 Pico ITX board for robotics use for some time, but the VIA boards are so overpriced (think $500+) and painfully slow. This has nothing to do with competing against Raspberry Pi, so I'm confused as the author of this article keeps making so many comparisons to it.

JB

13. thebranded

thebranded Member

exactly.

Thread title is miss leading then, "Raspberry Pi might have some competition " not really competition when the targets are not the same.

14. figrin

figrin Member

I rather they put a RJ45 ethernet port instead of usb3.0 and thunderbolt.

Wireless is good, but if it sits on a desk permanently wired is better.

15. thebranded

thebranded Member

can always go USB to ethernet adaptor.

Extra cost yes. But USB can act as both a USB and network port, while a dedicated network port can only be used as a network port.

16. figrin

figrin Member

I'm not saying to remove all USB ports. They have two HDMI ports and thunderbolt, surely an ethernet port is more important than those.

With ethernet you can have WOL and PoE to power the whole system. Two pretty good features in a small size office client.

17. thebranded

thebranded Member

there is wake on WirelessLan (not that i have tried)

POE would be ideal for a low power system im not sure of the power draw of these Intel boards, but runing and i3/i5 i would imagine they would draw too much for POE?

If i had the choice i would have an RJ45 port, but for most applications you can get around not having a network port.

18. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

Replace the linear regulators with switching versions and you can save up to 25% on your power draw.

19. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

OT warning :)

Why don't you drop Shelley at Sales, Commell Taiwan an email, and get yourself a LP-172NS from them?

I think mine ended up about $300 AUD, which included $57 via Fedex.

Great little board.

[/end OT]

Luv the NUC, but, not at the price. Would be willing to pay between 250-280 AUD for it, no more.

20. Rickjames

Rickjames (Banned or Deleted)

Sounds awesome!