Raspberry Pi Webradio & Weather Station

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by doigal, Jan 7, 2013.

1. doigal

doigal Member

Finally got a project on the Raspberry Pi to a point where I can show it off. Its a little web radio that's designed to be stand alone (no SSH or other external device required for control) that has a small screen to show whats playing and 3 push buttons for control. Also it has a scrolling weather summary from wunderground.

Case and prettiness is still to come as I want to swap out the 20x4 LCD for a 192x64 graphical display (still to find a good way to hook this up to the Pi) and still toying with some other ideas to add to it.

2. Symon

Symon (Plugging your Socket)

Looks awesome, well done!

3. KriiV

KriiV Member

That's awesome man well done. I'd really like to do something like this :thumbup:

4. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

Great work!

Any chance of a HOWTO? :)

5. OP
    OP
    doigal

doigal Member

I probably wont ever find the time to explain it all in detail, but the code for it can be found here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=28907

Once I get around to fixing everything up, I'll post up the circuit diagram and hopefully that will help people along!

6. Rass

Rass Member

nice!
    what's your 19x64 display? I am using an adafruit 2x16, but have found a much larger module elsewhere which I am planning on using via i2c as well.

7. SchRAMBO

SchRAMBO Member

Very cool doigal. Have you been keeping a blog or some form of documentating what you have done so far etc?

8. OP
    OP
    doigal

doigal Member

Its just a generic KS0108 cheapo fleabay one that i got for €10-15 or so. I have had it working with an arduino mega, but am interested in any methods that can have the pi talk to it without taking a billion pins and preferably without another microprocessor that requires programming.

um... :Paranoid: I should really do this! I have been trying to keep the code annotated but some parts are better than others.

9. Symon

Symon (Plugging your Socket)

If you scout around on Ebay you can find LCD's that use a IIC interface going rather cheap.

10. OP
    OP
    doigal

doigal Member

Most of them are for 20x4 type character screens, I am after a dot matrix graphic display

11. paulvk

paulvk Member

If you were closer I would send you one but it will cost a lot via post from Australia have a look on DX.COM you can get 128x64 displays from them very low cost and full colour ones for around the US $25 mark. Here is a link to a full colour display PI http://spritesmods.com/?art=rpi_arcade&page=2
    I have two PI but busy with some AVRs at the moment

12. OP
    OP
    doigal

doigal Member

thanks for the offer! might get a colour screen to play around with but was thinking of just keeping this one simple and monochrome for the moment.

I have gotten the KS0108 screen already and have had it working on an arduino but havnt spent much time trying to get it working on the pi.

Need to order some stuff to make a case out of it soon.

13. OP
    OP
    doigal

doigal Member

A little update. Finally got a way for the glcd to work with the pi, and now adding some sensors to it for the weather bit

First up, temperature and humidity via a DHT22 sensor

[​IMG]

Also have started a small blog to try and keep track of it all, details and code here:
    http://doigal.wordpress.com/2013/03/18/dht22-temperature-humidity/

14. Silvion

Silvion Member

That's really cool, love it idea. Keep us updated!