Raw files in W10

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by TonyR, Feb 12, 2016.

1. TonyR

TonyR Member

I've just acquired a Toshiba netbook running w10 and my Panasonic RAW (.RW2) files don't work in Explorer.

In W7 there was a microsoft codec package which makes .RW2 files operate just like jpegs, but that isn't available in W10.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks

Tony

2. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

http://rawtherapee.com/blog/features

Something like that work?

I just use Lightroom on my Windows 10 machine to do all the viewing so I wouldn't really be able to help with viewing in regular explorer.

OR: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3881878

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  3. OP
    OP
    TonyR

TonyR Member

I'll have a look at that. Sounds good.

I use Lightroom/PS on my desktop system (W7) but the netbook doesn't have a lot of grunt and I suspect LR would swamp it - even if I had a second licence.

The netbook just gets taken on holiday so I can save/backup my photos but it would be good to look at them while away from home.

4. lionman

lionman Member

From a thread on dpreview...

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3897672

maybe give that a try for more native support.

5. OP
    OP
    TonyR

TonyR Member

6. OP
    OP
    TonyR

TonyR Member

I'm obviously doing something wrong. I've downloaded orca and the camera codec msi file and I've installed orca.

My first attempt was to edit the msi file in orca, right-click the "Launch Condition" line and chose "Drop table". I then saved the file as the same name, but with "_New" on the end.

When I tried to run the installer I got an error "Unsuspected error. Error code 2356.

I thought that might be because the name was wrong, so I renamed the original to "..._Original" and removed the "_New" from the new one. Same error.

At this point I noticed that the original file was 16820Kb and the saved one was 144Kb. So, I deleted the saved one, re-edited _Original" but this time I entered the Launch Condition" database and just deleted the one-line entry in it.

Saved the file, this time it was 960Kb and still gave the same error.

Finally, I deleted the new file, edited the original but didn't make any change before I saved it. Still 960Kb with the same run time error.

Anyone got any ideas?

7. lionman

lionman Member

In Orca, save and save as perform different functions.

Save will save the database changes made to the MSI.
    Save as just saves the updated database, but I don't think it includes the payload.

Just create a copy of the MSI, open it in Orca, make the changes then hit save.

Worked for me, although no RAF support. My old CR2's open fine though.

8. OP
    OP
    TonyR

TonyR Member

I managed to get the msi file working and the thumbnails in Explorer look OK. However, none of the standard image viewer apps can open the files.

I'll have a look at things like Irfan View etc to see if they will open the files.

Thanks for the help so far.

9. metalrain

metalrain Member

Have you actually tried running Lightroom on your Toshiba? If it's a fairly new system then it should have enough grunt for Lightroom.

10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

11. OP
    OP
    TonyR

TonyR Member

OK, I've finally cracked it.

Ages ago, running Vista on my main PC I bought FreePictureViewerCodecPack to view the RW2 files under vista. When I upgraded to W7 I used the Microsoft codecs and didn't use the bought one. So, I've downloaded my copy of the FreePictureViewer onto the laptop and it works like a charm.

Thanks for all the advice and help, but... problem solved.