Razer Lachesis vs Copperhead (with pics)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Yehat, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Yehat

Yehat Member

I’ve gotten a Razer Lachesis and thought I’d give a few initial comments on how it looks compared with the Razer Copperhead. Keep in mind that the Lachesis is new, whereas the Copperhead has battled through hours on hours of FPS/RTS's.

Before this sounds like an advert/promo --> I’m not affiliated with Razer in any way and have purchased both mice with my own money :). Kudos to Ugbox for the image hosting.

Packaging
    [​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!
    Hosted by UGBox Image Store

First look
    [​IMG]

What you get (other than the mouse :p)

[​IMG]
    Quick start guide
    Driver CD
    Certificate of authenticity
    Product Postcard
    Razer product catalogue
    Stickers

Tech Specs (from the Razer site: http://www.razerzone.com/ )

Copperhead
    2000dpi Razer Precision™ laser sensor
    32KB Razer Synapse™ onboard memory
    1000Hz Ultrapolling™ / 1ms response time
    Seven independently programmable Hyperesponse™ buttons
    On-The-Fly Sensitivity™ adjustment
    Always-On™ mode
    Zero-acoustic Ultraslick™ Teflon feet
    16-bit ultra-wide data path
    Up to 45 inches per second and 20g of acceleration
    7080 frames per second
    GlowPipe™ non-slip side rails
    Ergonomic ambidextrous design
    Ultra-large non-slip buttons
    Gold-plated USB connector
    Seven-foot, lightweight, non-tangle cord
    Approximate size: 130mm (length) x 66mm (width) x 41mm (height)

Lachesis
    4000dpi Razer Precision 3G Laser™ sensor
    32KB Razer Synapse™ onboard memory
    Nine independently programmable Hyperesponse™ buttons
    1000Hz Ultrapolling / 1ms response time
    On-The-Fly Sensitivity™ adjustment
    Variable true dpi setting adjustments in increments of 125dpi
    Always-On™ mode
    Ultra-large non-slip buttons
    16-bit ultra-wide data path
    60-100 inches per second
    Ambidextrous design
    Scroll wheel with 24 individual click positions
    Zero-acoustic Ultraslick™ Teflon feet
    Gold-plated USB connector
    Seven-foot, lightweight, non-tangle cord
    Approximate size: 129mm (length) x 71mm (width) x 40mm (height)

Some comparative photos.

Copperhead top, Lachesis below
    [​IMG]
    What you notice is the Lachesis has a couple of extra buttons near the scroll wheel. The scroll wheel itself also has a more heavy-duty feel about it and it's easier to feel the 'notches' as you scroll (note the last part might be accentuated due to the fact the Lachesis is brand new, and the Copperhead isn't).

Also from the top, the Lachesis is one moulded piece (including the buttons), whereas the Copperhead has joins between the buttons/body on the top. I'm not sure if that was all totally by design, or if it was influenced by a different manufacuring process.

Lachesis on the left.
    [​IMG]

Copperhead above, Lachesis below.
    [​IMG]

Copperhead side-on
    [​IMG]

Lachesis side-on
    [​IMG]

According to the official specs they are basically the same height, but the Copperhead's arch seems a tad more pronounced, whereas the Lachesis seems more gradual. The Copperhead also has the clear "grip" strips on the side which light up.

The good thing about the side strips is they provide bling when they light up (lol) and they do "grip" as well. On the other hand when compared to the Lachesis, the side buttons on the latter are a touch more accessible as you don't have the protrusion (albeit slight) of the clear strips.

Also another difference is the side buttons. The Copperhead's side buttons are thinner and more curved, whereas the Lachesis buttons are a smidge shorter but more "chunky".

Bling - Lachesis has the larger logo lighting and the logo fades on/off
    [​IMG]

Bling - Copperhead has a logo which fades on/off as well and more bling due to the clear side strips which light up
    [​IMG]

Also for bling both mice have gold plated usb connectors.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  2. OP
    OP
    Yehat

Yehat Member

3. OP
    OP
    Yehat

Yehat Member

Usage Comments/Comparison.

Build Quality / Aesthetics
    I didn't have any issues with the Copperhead's build quality either, but comparatively the Lachesis does give the sense of being a tad more durable. The bottom half of the mouse has a more glossy black finish, where as the top is more matt. The illumination of the on-board lights can be enabled/disabled from the menu.

Feel & Control
    Previously I mentioned a difference between the Lachesis and Copperhead was the 'arch' shape. After using it for a while the difference in shape is more pronounced than I first though and it's a very noticeable shift. The Lachesis still has the 'Razer' feel, in that the mouse is intended to be controlled a lot more with the fingers and a bit of the palm, but I'd say this is even more apparent than the Copperhead.

So if you prefer a mouse which you intend to hold more in the palm of your hand (or have your palm fully resting on it) and you use the palm to predominantly drive the mouse (as opposed to your fingers) you will absolutely hate this mouse :) You'd probably have a similar feeling with the Copperhead as well.

Buttons

All buttons & the scroll wheel don't need much force to use and provide good tactile feedback.

As mentioned previously, the side buttons (particularly the ones on the side of the little finger) are slightly more accessible due to their improved size/shape and absence of the Copperheads clear lighting strips.

The one thing I'm not 100% on is the placement (well more the profile/height) of the extra buttons near the scroll wheel.

On the plus side they're a couple of extra buttons which by default can be used to toggle the DPI, and for gaming can be bound to other useful keys. The fact they're near the scroll wheel is good in terms of easy access.

(Here it comes and I'm probably nit picking...) But they can be a tad annoying if you have a scroll down a lot or use large scrolling movements. This is because unlike the Copperhead, when your middle finger finishes scrolling down it ends up making contact on the top edge of the one of those extra buttons, instead of the smooth surface that'd exist in their absence. I don't find myself inadvertently activiating the extra buttons but am not sold (at this point) on running into the top edge of them.

Movement
    The movement of the mouse is fluid/responsive, and the accompanying software allows you to customise/tweak various aspects around this, save your settings as profiles and switch between them.

In the limited time I've had the Lachesis, I've had no dramas using it in games (mostly FPS/RTS) and general Windows use. I haven't (thus far) had any issues its drivers either (under Vista x64).

While FPS'ing I did make one observation. The laser sensor in the Lachesis is more prone to some 'erratic' tracking IF it's (inadvertently) lifted a bit from the mousing surface. i.e. When moving the mouse, if one side gets lifted up (a little not totally ;)), the cursor can become somewhat 'wobbly' fast, which would be a little annoying in game play. I tried the same thing with the Copperhead and (with its optical sensor), lifting it up a bit still causes it to lose tracking but not with the same level of resultant 'cursor wobble' produced with the Lachesis.

I must not be alone in my observation, as the Razer site has a mention of the issue in their Knowledge base: http://www.razersupport.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=137&nav=0,16
    Overall
    It's a solid mouse (provided you're comfortable with the shape). If you had a Copperhead, you'd be wanting to keep it (imho) given the difference in cost. If you are in the market to decide, you need to see if the tweaks to the Lachesis +2 extra buttons are worth the extra cost.

4. Nevok

Nevok Guest

Nice review.

It's funny how Razer never really set foot on the laser sensor. I think straight after the Copperhead they went to the Deathadder and ever since then it's been 3G. I think it's because lower sensitivities and laser not being suited towards them.

But despite all that, love my Copperhead. Never going back to Logitech mice.

5. shift6

shift6 Member

Thanks for the review. Unfortunately, I personally find it hard to justify spending a particularly large amount of money on things like keyboards/mice without trying them out first in person. I have heard that Razer mice are particularly good, sad that it's hard to find the mouse to try if I am considering buying..

Liked the picture comparisons between the two Razers though:thumbup:

6. Tobes1990

Tobes1990 Member

Interesting review. I have been a long time user of Logitech mice (Had an MX510 for 2 years and now a G5 for about 6 months) and I'm looking at Razer mice for the future. I was slightly let down by the G5, there are a few niggling issues with the scroll wheel and the mouse keeps detecting a movement when no one is using it preventing a screen saver from coming up.

7. stevo4

stevo4 Member

I found that the movement of the cursor using a Lachesis mouse is jittery/jumpy on a Func1030 surface.

I prefered using that mat, and it worked well with Logitech mice I had been using.

As such the Razer Exact mat I bought some time ago stayed in the pakaging.

The latest drivers for the Lachesis didnt fix the problem so I pulled out the Exactmat and the Lachesis mouse works fine on that.

8. doug81

doug81 Member

Nice review. Seems like the deathadder is in the middle of these two. got one myself, and absolutely love it, so I imagine the lachesis would be pretty damn good.

9. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Thanks for the Review, I have the Copperhead and was looking at the Lachesis - but I think I'll hold off for a while.

Unfortunately my copperhead has significant wear even though I've only had it for ~8 months :upset: - I also hardly use the damn thing (few hours a day, MAX!) :Paranoid:

Once it's worn a bit more, Lachesis time (hopefully price will go down by then too :rolleyes: )

10. OP
    OP
    Yehat

Yehat Member

Cheers guys.

If you haven't used a Razer mouse before, I'd strongly suggest trying to find one at a shop/lan/friends place and demo it if possible. Especially if you're coming from a G5 (or G7 for that matter) which are mice suited more to the palm, and have that comfy moulded space for your thumb (assuming you're a right hander). The Lachesis has none of these features by design and there's a chance you just won't like the feel/shape.

On the flip-side, if you're a left-hander, you're probably already too aware that some mice are made only with right-handers in mind. While I'm not left handed, the Razer's do seem to be (comparively) more ambidextrous in their shape.

One other thing I've noticed is changing between mouse profiles (under Vista x64 at least) on the Lachesis seems to takes a few seconds longer than the Copperhead, no biggie, but just thought I'd mention it.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  11. Revenger

Revenger Member

One thing I didn't see mentioned is how are you finding the buttons on the right side?

Are they still totally inaccessible for the right handed person?

I can't even press my right buttons on the copperhead without bending the right ring finger back really back it starts to hurt a little.

12. OP
    OP
    Yehat

Yehat Member

^
    They've made a few small improvements, but it still needs work (imho):
    • Like the thumb buttons on the left, the one's near the little finger have been beefed up in size/shape.
    • Unlike the Copperhead, you don't have the clear strip jutting out a bit over the buttons. Since you've got a Copperhead --> if you hold the mouse, imagine that clear strip on the right wasn't there and the button was more or less straight down as opposed to your finger having to arch around the strip and then back into the buttons.
    The way I hold the Lachesis (YMMV) means the further back of the two right side buttons is definitely more accessible than its Copperhead counterpart. The front one though, while being a slight improvement, is still a bit like its predecessor, in that it doesn't feel natural out of the box (but it's not painful to get to).

Edit:
    Just noticed the above. I don't use the right ring finger at all on either mouse. My little finger alternates between those two right-side buttons as required.

Do you use the ring finger on both of the right-side buttons, or do you use it one and the little finger on the other ?

13. Revenger

Revenger Member

Updated my post above with a spelling error was meant to be cant press the buttons.

Left I use my thumb and right i tend to try to use my ring finger but I never ever press those buttons as there too hard for me.

Even my little finger bends awkward when pressing the buttons.

I was used to a Microsoft Intelipoint as that was my previous mouse until 2 years ago that had one big button on each side and that was prefect for the ring finger.

14. Icy

Icy Member

Illumination can only be turned off for Lachesis or both...? Any room lights annoy me when watching a movie in the dark (and I darken the room for a movie), don't want to have to cover my mouse every time...

EDIT: No worries, found out that Death Adder and Lachesis can be switched off while Copperhead can not.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  15. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

One issue i find with the copperhead mouse is that i find the buttons a bit too sensitive. It is not uncommon for me to accidentally right click if i put a bit too much pressure on the mouse :( always happens at the worst times too! (lately its been while 'hacking' in bioshock)

to the OP: did you have this problem at all with the copperhead? is it fixed in the lachesis / are the buttons any more or less sensitive?