Razer products under Linux

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by flu!d, Aug 19, 2018.

1. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Just a quick thread outlining my experiences with Razer products under Linux for anyone currently on the lookout for a replacement keyboard/mouse.

My old Logitech mouse was dying after about 10 years of constant use, even going nuclear at one stage due to faulty Woolies branded Lithium ion batteries resulting in the melting of the battery compartment - But in Logitech's defense the mouse still carried on working just fine for many, many years after that interesting episode! I'm just glad it happened while I was at the PC and not away from the machine.

Lately I've been noticing my right click button becoming very unreliable, I thought of opening the mouse up and fixing the issue, but as a result of the shagged case I soon came to the grim realization that my mouse was due for replacement, this time I wanted a mouse with a cable as I always found replacing batteries a major PITA. I also wanted a mouse with Linux support, after doing my research I quickly discovered this is sadly an area where Linux is lacking.

So, I do my research and to my surprise find that a vast number of Razer products are supported by the open source community. Not only are they supported, but they are actually supported very well! See here for the OpenRazer homepage on Github:

https://openrazer.github.io/

Not only are the devices very well supported, but the drivers and software were extremely simple to install and set up under Ubuntu Mate 16.04 and packaged for most popular distro's. Simply add the key/PPA, update and install - Done!

Once the drivers are installed you can manually configure the various parameters of the mouse, of which there are fairly comprehensive instructions, or you can download a software GUI front end. There are three to choose from, I chose the Polychromatic front end due to it's manufacturer like implementation:

https://github.com/polychromatic/polychromatic

Once installed, reboot the PC for the device to be properly identified (this is a necessary step surprisingly) and you're good to go! There are a vast number of settings that can be configured including lighting colors for specific areas of the mouse, lighting brightness, DPI settings, polling rate settings, effects settings, application profile configuration as well as OS personalization such as Tray Applet icons. Keyboards allow, naturally, for even more configuration options apparently, I don't have a Razer keyboard to test this.

While I'm not a huge gamer and was essentially just looking for a mouse with full Linux support and a decent GUI I have to say I am very impressed with my Razer Deathadder Elite, it 'is' fully supported under Linux and it's build quality is fantastic with nice, positive feeling micro switch buttons and a range of DPI/polling settings to keep even the most hardcore tweaker happy - And it was actually quite a good price from the local EA games (surprisingly) - Totally recommended!

The only additional task I performed was to change the scroll settings using lmwheel. I was so used to the flywheel scroll wheel of the Logitech mouse that scrolling on my new Razer seemed a little slow. Once I'd configured lmwheel everything is perfect. Used this procedure here, there's my mouse!

http://www.webupd8.org/2015/12/how-to-change-mouse-scroll-wheel-speed.html

See below for a few screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  2. SchRAMBO

SchRAMBO Member

Sweet!

Thanks for the heads up and write up. I have just replaced a keyboard at home with a Razer Blackwidow II keyboard. But I completely just assumed that "yeah no effing way this fancy keyboard light stuff would actually work in Linux"

I don't use Linux at home currently but this gives me pleasure knowing that I have not made a bad consumer choice. :)

3. OP
    OP
    flu!d

Not a problem my friend! I just bought a Razer Blackwidow X Chroma keyboard for the mechanical goodness and I can confirm that everything is configurable using the above mentioned drivers/software.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the advent of Steam Play and Proton all the Roccat users were having issues with mouse control under DOOM, no such issue for me and my Razer DeathAdder Elite! :)

4. wullieb1

wullieb1 Member

Works on the Notebooks as well.
    Had it running brilliantly on Ubuntu, SUSE and Fedora.

flu!d likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    flu!d

Razer notebooks I assume?

6. wullieb1

wullieb1 Member

Yes, sorry i forgot to add that.