RC for newbies

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by ni9ht_5ta1k3r, Apr 5, 2010.

1. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Here are some youtube vids that I've been looking at and here are a few that are helpful in many areas that might be a bit daunting for some. Post questions here and it saves posting questions in non relevant RC threads :p

Painting Body Shells

Gluing Tires to Wheels

Cutting Body Posts

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  2. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Ah just the thread I came here to find. You know those tiny RC car toys you get ~ the size of a 20c piece? Micro RC cars, or something like that?

My question is, are there any micro RC modules that you can buy pre-made? Or at the very least a kit to make yourself?

I want to make some robotics utilising vibrating pager motors, and those cars I mentioned are the right size I have in mind for my project.

*EDIT* I think I just solved my own question
    http://www.cloud9rc.com/indoorflying.asp

3. Shizznack

Shizznack Member

Hey,

Just bought a HSP brontosarus pro its fairly awesome fun for under $200 thought it would be a good place to start RC as a hobby.

Only problem is the stock battery 1800 Ni-MH dosnt last long and i only get 5 - 10 mins run time from 8hrs charge.

I have been looking at some Lipo batteries but have nfi where to start and what to get and i realise they are fairly dangerous if you treat them wrong.

the moter in my truck is a 540 brushles and aparently thats fine to run with a lipo batery pack.

can anyone recomend a batery pack / charger?

thinking this battery
    http://www.hobbyscene.com.au/hobby/...0mah-7-4v-2s1p-20c-lipoly-hard-case-pack.html

with this charger.
    http://www.hobbyscene.com.au/hobby/...3s-balance-charger-direct-110-240v-input.html

Any advice would be greatly apreciated.

4. lupin

lupin Member

5. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

My Tamiya Lancer Evo X (TT-01E) kit is now in Australia from RCMart.com and so I'm just waiting for it to arrive at my PO Box. will be a fun weekend if it comes on friday! :D

Those youtube videos are great cos they demonstrate how to spray in light coats and i would have buggered up a shell if i didn't do it right!

6. Shizznack

Shizznack Member

Thanks for that info. seems that my esc does not have a lipo cut off

"it has a cutoff, but not for lipos (it will allow a 2s lipo to discharge down to around 5 volts, which is bad)"

The site u linked is US the postage would probly make up the price?.

the truck does pump out some speed mabie i should get a higher capacity nimh batt?

7. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

anyone know if i can use a lipo on a ESC that takes Nicd batteries?

8. Dorz

Dorz Member

shizznak,

i would say get a bigger nimh or two, and get a decent charger. $150 will put you in about the right range to include a lipo balancing charger if you ever decide to upgrade.

most NIMH batteries are fine with charging at 1C, effectively charging the battery for around an hour to full charge, maybe a little longer.

for example, a 4600mah nimh can be charged at a continuous 4.6A

lipos are a bit different, cells have to be balanced to each other, and its best to charge in a 'lipo safe' in case anything goes wrong.

RE painting shells, dont do it to thick whilst spraying, and dont do a bajillion coats!

i found out the first from runs, i found out the second when the buggy flipped, and the paint has started to crack...

looked nice when i first painted it though ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now it has white rims on the rear, as those tyres got shredded within about 20 minutes of the electric conversion.

9. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

hoping i can do it like the video and get it in at about 2-3 coats. I'm using the videos to guide me through that process so i don't screw it up.

if the paint's cracked can you repaint that area?

10. lupin

lupin Member

The secret with painting is to have a practice on a empty PET bottle. :thumbup:

Don't stress too much night stalker. Are you going for a single color or a multi color job?

11. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

just a single colour: black :)

something like this:

Click to view full size!

I've see lots of Evo Xs driving around so that gave me an idea on how colours work together: black just seems obvious...it goes with everything!!!

EDIT: So long as I follow the steps (wash the inside of the body, dry it, mask the windows (i intend to use latex gloves), put cans under running water, spray in short strokes, dry, and repeat) it should fine.

also, is 1 can enough to do 3 coats?

12. motas

motas Member

There's a paint additive available that let's it flex more. Only good if you're using a gun though but it would be perfect for this.

13. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

no paint guns, just the spray can!

14. Copie

Copie Member

Buy plastic paint (used for bumpers and mudflaps etc) it has some flex in it so it wont crack.

15. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I thought plastic paints weren't good on polycarbonate?

16. Copie

Copie Member

Ive used it before on that sort of material (headlight lenses) and didnt have any issues.

17. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

hmmm...cos i've bought Tamiya spray paints (1x PS-5 (black) and 1x TS-25 I think: the metallic black) PS for the body and TS for the rear view mirrors.

18. kwax

kwax Member

what the hell are you guys on about.

The tamiya PS cans will do 1 body..it has special ingrediants inside that will help it flex with the shell so that it wont flake or crack.... another thing that will help from flaking and cracking is letting the paint cure properly.

Rear view mirrows,side mirrors? they come with crome stickers you dont need to paint those.

night...i dont think u should go black... black always looks nice at first but after a few drives,bumps and scruffs it looks terrible. you see dirt and marks easier.

I suggest gunmetal grey.

19. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I meant TS for the side mirrors because they're ABS plastic.

I do like gun metal kwax but as it's my first shell I don't feel comfortable doing 2 colours cos the front grill and rear bumper of the Evo X are different colours to the body. I'll have to see if it comes with masking for those areas (I doubt it though). Hence why I decided to go with black cos in the aforementioned reference photo the grill and rear bumper go nicely as well as me not wanting to fuck up my first attempt if it wasn't necessary.

I will try doing a paint job that's more than 1 colour but I'll leave that for later body shells. I will get gun metal for another shell.

EDIT: from what copie said it sounded like to me that the tamiya paints weren't the right stuff to use. I have been assured that PS is fine if you do it right of course.

20. Dorz

Dorz Member

hehe, i used the tamiya can stuff ;) mine cracked like a... cracker?

i put it on pretty thick though, and went off a bike jump, a few feet (or half a dozen) into the air, and landed on the shell though.