RC for newbies

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by ni9ht_5ta1k3r, Apr 5, 2010.

1. lupin

lupin Member

Bit of a change, but that happens.

What kind of budget are you thinking.

2. iinsom

iinsom Member

Got 400-500 roughly (Can go a bit more)

3. lupin

lupin Member

4. thrillhouse

thrillhouse Member

Give the Slash 4x4 a look in, has a good rep for being durable, more so than the SC10 (more race oriented).

You can get a Slash with a brushless system already in place.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXYNB0**&P=ML

Of course any RTR you buy, I would also look into getting a better charger and battery setup.

5. lostdude

lostdude Member

if your into getting air big jumps then short course isn't for you, short course is great if your into racing as its a cheap form of off road racing but if your going to just bash around you'd want a buggy or a truggy.

if you stick with the bigger brands losi , ae , hot bodies, mugen you can't go wrong.

6. Coma White

Coma White Member

Hey guys, thinking of getting myself an RC buggy/truck to play around with in the bush near my place, looking to spend $1000 max, not going to be raced just bashing around having fun, pretty much offroad only use and would prefer petrol over electric, any recommendations appreciated.

7. Shizznack

Shizznack Member

HPI vorza looks pretty awesome to me if i were to get a new car i think i would definitely take a look at one of these around 600 from tower hobbies. Also Baja is close to 1000 if you order from tower hobbies that thing is looks so solid definitely one of the best looking nitro models.

personally i would only get electric

8. Coma White

Coma White Member

Thanks for the recommendations, the Baja looks like an awesome piece of gear, the reason I'd rather go petrol over electric is I have several RC yachts and I'm sick to death of charging battery packs and keeping track of which ones are charged etc and always wondering if I've remembered to charge the damn things as well.

9. lostdude

lostdude Member

still need to charge receiver packs with nitro you know?:lol:

10. Shizznack

Shizznack Member

the baja is 2stroke i believe aswell so u don't have to spend 100000000$ a second on nitro from the hobby shop.

Checked one out at my local shop it looks solid as got like a 5 mm thick metal chassis and the entire frame is built as a roll cage

11. motas

motas Member

I have a hobbyking Baja and they rule. People sayyou can't jump them but i was launching it down a hill off a boulder an all i did was shatter a spark plug. Custom brace over the top should fix that easy though. Only other things I broke was a clutch spring and snapped a screw. Hpi screws are better quality and I assume the spring are to so I you can afford it go with that. Although gas is a completely different method of tuning it is extremely easy and not so finicky. Tune it summer and tune it winter and you should be right. Also starts heaps easier than a nitro car so no blisters on your hand. On average 2-5 pulls to start it cold. First time I showed it to a mate who uses nitro it started first pull while he was sitting with a root start trying to prime and start his lol.
    Also I am about to order a none eagles twingo and maybe a scx10tr. Lml.
    Good luck to all the new rcers

12. Coma White

Coma White Member

Yeah I assumed that would be the case, there just hopefully won't be as many as my RC yachts. :) Anybody got a rough guide of how much something like a Baja would cost to ship from tower hobbies out here?

13. motas

motas Member

If you subscribe to their international email thing you get a discount which basically covers shipping costs. Just go put your email in and go through checkout and it tells you how much.

14. lostdude

lostdude Member

join their super savers club :thumbup:

its only 10 bucks but you get these discount codes after you join and it gives very good savings, i think its 25% discount if you spend 200 dollars or more

15. iwnt2ovc

iwnt2ovc Member

tower hobbies seem to have great prices.
    what are like to deal with?

anyone recommend some lipos for hpi savage flux hp?

16. lostdude

lostdude Member

they are very good to deal with.
    the website probably isn't as good as amain but their prices are certainly better.

if you want lipos and its not for racing (requirement for hard packs), have a look at hobbyking.com

17. thrillhouse

thrillhouse Member

Motas mentioned it earlier, but here is a link for it. HK Baja. At $499 $399 + Delivery (AUS warehouse) it looks like a good buy. I was considering buying one myself, but have decided to build my own 1/5th scale out of some parts.

edit: You will also need to buy servos and radio gear, as well, but you should easily get in under budget.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  18. toopy28

toopy28 Member

its $399

10 char

19. iwnt2ovc

iwnt2ovc Member

ok i really need some help on some lipos.
    Ive just ordered my hpi flux hp and i need some batteries and charger for it.
    Ive been studying on the net for about a week and its just making me more confused.

nearly every site tells you a different thing and ocau hasnt failed me yet so help me out.

Only want to start small (like 2S 7.4v and not sure about Mah)
    Now the hpi has deans connectors and is there any battery that has these on them already or is there a adaptor that i can use and what chargers can i get for mains power and charge both at once.

budget for batts and charger is about $250-300.

Thanks in advance.

20. B.D.R

B.D.R Member

G'day iwnt2ovc

Get the highest Mah you can afford, it does make a massive differance:thumbup:

As far as chanrgers go, not many good ones come with Mains input, most are 12v, so you can use them with a Car battery, or get a proper Power supply, or you can mod a PC power supply to use.

I personaly use a Duratrax ICE charger, they have been out for quite a while now, but it's never missed a beat, and it will charge just about any Battery known to man, upto 10 amps:leet:

Most LiPo's don't come with any plugs, but they are not hard to put on, any one that can Solder can put them on for you.

I know you said 7.4v, but this is what i would go, keep in mind you can't really trust HK\Chinese packs to go to there C rating:wired:, so get the highest you can afford

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/11-1v-5000mA...Radio_Controlled_Vehicles&hash=item2307a2fbc2

As for a charger, this one can plug into a wall

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mystery-B6-L...Radio_Controlled_Vehicles&hash=item2eb2c88242

That will come WAYYYYYY under you budget but if you want to buy from a Local supplier, and the Batterys will be better quality try here

http://harrisrc.com/home.htm

Now there are some things about LiPo's you should have already found out, the best way to keep you Packs good, is to run a LiPo cut off, as a LiPo hates going to low on the Discharge, keep running them too low, and you will let out the Smoke:D

A "puffy" pack should not be charged, there are ways to get rid of them, but the best way is LOOOOOOOONG leads, and charge them on a NiCd setting with the Video camera running:lol:

Some people refuse to charge them in the House, me i never worried about it, i think LiPo's have a bad rap when it come to burning, it was usually caused buy some clown not knowing how to set His\Her Charger:shock:

I've been runnning cheap LiPo's for nearly 10 years, never had my House or RC burn down yet:leet: