RC for newbies

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by ni9ht_5ta1k3r, Apr 5, 2010.

1. iwnt2ovc

iwnt2ovc Member

thanks heap bdr.
    The hpi uses two batts and after seeing on the youtube what 2 3S 11.1v batts does i dont really want that much power.....yet.
    or should i get these as well as some smaller power batts?
    should i also buy a lipo balancer or can that charger do that to?

Damn what happened to the old days with elec cars haha.

2. B.D.R

B.D.R Member

Just cause it has the Power dos'nt mean you have to use it:lol:

I'd buy the 3s and go nuts, but thats me:thumbup:

3. iwnt2ovc

iwnt2ovc Member

i just bought the charger and both packs lol.
    Gunna have to learn some good throttle control and keep in mind the last car i bashed around was a tamiya super hornet lol.

4. B.D.R

B.D.R Member

Awsome:thumbup::leet:

You any where near Maffra?

If so i might have to catch up for a Bash next time i go and see the old Girl:D

Ahh the SUpa Hornet, i still have an original Hornet sitting hear, as well as a Fox, not much modern stuff any more though

5. iwnt2ovc

iwnt2ovc Member

yep i live about 20mins from maffra.
    My brother lives there and ive got a few mates and family there also.
    yeah mines it the original super hornet and has at the most been used ten times.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  6. RoBB22

RoBB22 Member

few Q's

why did u suggest a mystery b6 charger and not a imax b6 charger, are they pretty much the same thing? or even an accucel 6?

he had the budget why didnt u put him onto a hyperion/swallow or even an icharger with a power supply?

and how do u find the winforce batteries? i had some 3s 3000mah in that brand, and they puffed a bit, i would of suggested some turnigy batteries from hobbyking

7. Coma White

Coma White Member

What's the general consensus here about buying 2nd hand RC cars?? I've pretty much got my heart set on the HPI Baja SS, but I'm not overly confident about assembling it myself (the SS only comes in kit for) I'm keeping an eye on this here and was wondering what you guys here though?

8. motas

motas Member

Building a rc car is easy as. I would probably say its easier than a computer. Buying second hand is fine though as long as it doesnt look like its taken a beating or the engine is really used.

9. B.D.R

B.D.R Member

Robb22, that was just looking around on Ebay, as far as i know there is bugger all differance between most of the Chargers on there, i know quite a few people with them and they seem fine:thumbup:

Personaly Swallow bite, i had one and it was the biggest POS i've ever had, it was the Swallow 1 though so it might have changed.

They are just a Generic pack that will do the job fine, i would'nt use them for Racing, and they wont be allowed as there not a hard cover, but most Batterys come from the same place, unless you get high end Racing packs, it's just the cost is differant, so i would save some Money:lol:

On the Batterys that goes for NiMH and NiCd if any one still uses them, most come from the same Factory, and the differant Brands get a heap, test and keep the good ones, and the rest get moved on down the line, has alway been that way.

If they go Puffy most say you should'nt use them, but there is verying degrees of puffyness, i had a pack that went like pop corn, kept using it, but it did let the smoke out eventually, they not the easiest things to put out:wired::Pirate:

10. motas

motas Member

I have an imax b6 and its fine. There are clones on ebay which are bad though. Probably go with imax b6 from hobbyking (i think it might be rebranded but cbf checking) and some turnigy lipos.

11. Coopz

Coopz Member

My mate bought a ebay Himoto 1/10th thing last weekend and rang me up telling me how frustrated he was at not been able to get the bastard started. I went round and had a look, did the usual check, glow plug fine, getting fuel, fine, no leaks or bubbles. Tried a few goes at starting it rich, nothing, lean, nothing, heated up the engine and tried a modified drill to spin the flywheel, still could not get the bloddy thing to even kick once. Then I smelt some of the fuel coming out the exhaust and it didn't smell like any nitro fuel I had used. Find out my clueless mate has filled it up on 2 stroke 25/1 unleaded. He saw my Baja the other week and just asumed the 1/10th would run on the same thing, it did say on the ebay advert Gas powered 2 stroker 2.5cc. A slap across his head and a trip the the local hobby shop we bought some 15% mix, drained the pwetrol out and got it working with 4-5 pulls.:tongue:

12. Coma White

Coma White Member

Missed out on that SS on eBay, kicking around the idea of buying the kit and building it now...that was until I downloaded the manual and looked at the building instructions, duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude if you think building one of these is easier than building a PC then I'd be more than happy to build your next PC for you if you wanna build an SS for me :wired:

On the other hand I don't have to worry about sailing again till September and it would keep me occupied on the weekends when the Mrs is working. With the exchange rate atm I think I'll just buy it all from Tower Hobbies to the purchasing over and done with in one hit. Anyone got some recomendations regarding a throttle servo and 2.4ghz receiver??

13. FOXH0UND

FOXH0UND Member

I race RC 1:10 cars. Building the car is easy. Fine tuning it and getting it right can take months.

14. motas

motas Member

It takes more time than building a computer but its simple as. Should only take you at max one weekend to get it running. As above it wont be setup yet but will still be fun.
    The manuals look complex but its actually pretty obvious.
    Just order the ss and try and i bet youll be able to do it.

15. mtma

mtma Member

It's simple once you get over the hurdle of assembling your first car. Though RC's are much less forgiving when you screw things up compared with assembling a PC.

16. Coma White

Coma White Member

Ok, I'm getting ready to place an order through Tower Hobbies. Shopping cart currently looks like this.

Kit

Reciever + Servos

Hump Pack

Any recommendations or changes anyone would make to this??

Thanks in advance

17. thrillhouse

thrillhouse Member

Have you got your towerhobbies coupon codes?

$800.00 - $899.99 $200.00 016EK
    $900.00 - $999.99 $225.00 016EL
    $1000.00 or more $250.00 016EM

18. Coma White

Coma White Member

Yes I've got the coupons thank you. With shipping and currency conversion the current price is about $1178 AUD

19. lupin

lupin Member

Get better servo's.

Thats a really basic servo.

20. Coma White

Coma White Member

I'm open to suggestions on that front, the kit comes with a high torque steering servo so really only need a throttle servo.