RC Multicopter Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by sgtraven, Jan 15, 2013.

1. SkyJoggeR

SkyJoggeR Member

I agree, thats why i have the Hubsan can fly that good. i have a really big frame one atm that i can fly no worries, just want something that i can mount the go-pro to as mine isnt that good for it and its to big

2. daveo555

daveo555 Member

I bought a Walkera G-2d gimble, to mount to my Phantom 1.1.1.

I have the gimble connect and powered, but am having trouble getting the pitch control to work.
    Just trying to figure out the wires that go from the gimble controller to the Naza.

EDIT: All good got it working.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  3. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

In Russia, Pizza comes to you.

4. SkyJoggeR

SkyJoggeR Member

didn't domino's uk do that about a year ago. is that a winch to lower the pizza. i like that idea then people dont get cut up by the multi

5. timochy

timochy Member

just got a tbs discovery pro
    ezuhf
    futaba 14sg
    tbs groundstation
    naza v2
    tbs 1000kv
    etc etc

just waiting for some good weather so I can take her out properly
    forcast, rain in Adelaide for the next week so cant even play.........

6. SuperRoach

SuperRoach Member

Having a lazy FPV added from old to new copter.

http://i.imgur.com/lag91yD.jpg
    Based on this I should get about 1.5 hours run time from it - more than a days worth of heavy usage.

A quick power test shows that it can be doable. http://i.imgur.com/9Z9aDsO.jpg Weird photo, but wireless signal getting sent to a portable projector.
    I have some DIY FPV Goggles I can get someone else to try out while I'm testing it.

I'm not caring about range - If I can get 20 Metres I'm happy (hoping that should be easy in an open field), upto 100metres would be amazing. I rarely fly far away from myself.

what I am wondering about is how I can more safely mount this thing. Cleaner cabling or something.

7. damn duck

damn duck Member

There doesn't seem to be too much slack on those wires, so to mount it securely as is you'll need a lot of cable ties.
    Show us some footage, I'm curious of the quality

8. SuperRoach

SuperRoach Member

If your curious, it's this camera:
    http://www.fpvhobby.com/63-1-gram-nano-camera-480tvl.html

Maybe when it's mounted I'll take some footage, no real point at the moment.

I think I have a wide angle lens for it as well too.

I'm thinking of perhaps making some kind of tiny case for it. Or a ball of velcro, with a hole cut in one part for the camera to stick through. Not sure!

It would be fun but kind of pointless if there was a gimbal design for things this small - entire thing is ~5 grams, or 1 Gram if you can mount the camera alone.

9. SuperRoach

SuperRoach Member

Woohoo! It was slightly windy, but no rain is a win in my books.
    Flew fantastic!

I havn't even done the automatic tuning flight tuning yet. The wind was blowing from right to left of screen on this, which I had to adjust to. Excellent to see the build working though, and the Mobius is fantastic for video.

The FPV Goggles and camera havn't been added yet. To be honest I'll want to fly by eyesight anyway. It'll be great for recording live and for a spectator to see though.

Maybe add some fluro tape on the underside to help with visibility.first full flight yay!

10. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

So 8 weeks later my replacement finally arrived from Banggood! It works, thankfully. haha They sent me out the BNR model which came in the same box with everything bar the controller so now have spare props/charger/battery. The 5x 380MAh batteries never arrived so got a refund.

11. _zak

_zak Member

Great footage and congratulations on getting it up and running! I'm constantly tempted to get my own 250-size quad; the videos I've seen of FPV proximity flying around trees and car parks make it seem like heaps of fun. Don't think I'll be joining the ranks for a while though as I've just pulled the trigger on a Flyduino NanoWii, lightweight frame and some KISS ESCs. I've been really enjoying practicing line-of-sight acrobatics, so I'm planning to build something better suited to that.

Glad to hear they came through for you - while the Chinese-located RC stores are often slow, my experience is that most of the time it's shipping times that are responsible rather than bad customer service.

12. SuperRoach

SuperRoach Member

Thanks Zak - and agreed line of sight stuff has it's own appeal for sure. The 250 sized quads are a lot more fun for me at the moment, I don't see myself wanting to upgrade for a while, especially if the FPV works without a hitch on it.

Having watched the video from the Quad now, I can't wait to get more comfortable with it to the point of being able to fly around objects.

I'm not sure about the strength of the frame - which is why in the video I crashed lightly, because dropping from the sky quickly and using throttle to lift back up with just plastic... didn't feel right. Someone may be able to help me there.

13. _zak

_zak Member

After a crash on the weekend that destroyed one of the short LED strips I was using, I finally got around to removing them all and installing some new orientation lights. Rather than the relay/LED strips I was using before, I've now got an Adafruit NeoPixel ring hooked up to one of their Trinket microcontrollers - looking forward to creating some neighbourhood UFO sightings at twilight!

Click to view full size!

The microcontroller is hooked into my receiver for power along with some code that allows the LEDs to be toggled from the transmitter. If anyone else is looking for orientation lights, this option's pretty inexpensive both in terms of money and weight (particularly if you get one of the smaller 16 or 12 LED rings) and they're seriously bright to boot.

14. SkyJoggeR

SkyJoggeR Member

i like the look of those lights zak, been thinking about putting some on my quad for a while now

15. _zak

_zak Member

If you go down the NeoPixel route and need any help, feel free to post here. You can get the electronics cheaper elsewhere, but Adafruit's documentation makes everything really easy.

16. The Mafia

The Mafia Member

Hey guys. I want to get into this but where I want to use it is near an airport.

Can anyone give me any information on rules etc?

Thanks!

17. _zak

_zak Member

Flying quads etc. for fun is regulated (well, sort of) under the model aircraft rules set out by CASA. They do a brochure here, but the simple rules are:
    • Only fly within line of sight
    • Don't fly over people, houses, cars etc.
    • Stay below 400 ft (120 m)
    • Don't fly within 5.5 km of an airport
    It can get a lot more complicated than that, but if you stick to those and don't fly for money (which needs a whole separate licence) you won't fall foul of CASA. I've not had any problems flying at (fairly empty) parks/ovals etc.; most people are more interested in what it is that's flying than anything else.

18. The Mafia

The Mafia Member

That sucks, the place where I want to do most of the flying / filming, is 3km away from an airport.

I think my own house is within 5km of another airport.

Wow I've been boned lol.

19. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

The batteries actually ended up arriving!! 3 months after ordering mind you so I don't feel bad about getting a refund on them.

20. koopz

koopz Member

I took advantage of the pub holiday in Brissie today to phone up some family back in Tassie. He's out and about with an old mate at Mole Creek, Tasmania playing around with some new toys :)

They flicked me through video of the local landscape made a few weeks back. I really enjoyed it, and hope you blokes do as well.

related vids:

https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWfJOyJ5zxo&h=ZAQHGyrBF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTgcYhWW7M8

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCauCVemWS2FdMidOVqiwb6A

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014