RC Multicopter Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by sgtraven, Jan 15, 2013.

1. eukaryote:)

eukaryote:) Member

When it's released, and if rumours are true, I intend to get the Sony A7000 with a prime lens (16mm crop). Shoots 4k, good in body image stabilisation, together with 3 axis gimbal will make it killer for stills and video.

More stuff came today

Messy wiring from the ESCs. Surprisingly motor wire length was ridiculous, was 50cm long at least. I originally had anticipated to locate the ESCs underneath the motor mount and run cable back, but in the end the ESCs are crammed underneath the hexa.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like I might be able to break under 3kg for the whole setup, which is pretty good. I had designed this to take on a maximum of 4.5kg, so it gives me 1.5kg of leeway. Camera and gimbal will together not be more than 1.2kg so i'm all good.

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

3. _zak

_zak Member

Enjoying the pictures eukaryote! Are you planning on flying autonomous photography missions once you're up and running?

Thought I'd post a couple of pictures of my latest (re)build, a lightweight quad for line-of-sight acrobatics. I've had the parts lying around in various forms for a year or more, but real life got in the way (as it usually does). Once I did get it out and flying, the result was fairly predictable:

Click to view full size!

Fortunately my use of (easily sheared) nylon bolts seems to be preventing the aluminium arms from bending, which is nice. After another crash while tuning the other day, I decided to re-solder the ESCs and build a wiring harness - using a proper temperature-controlled soldering station station has made my soldering a lot better. While not perfect, I'm pretty happy with the neater version:

Click to view full size!

Frame: warthox 20 cm
    FC: Flyduino NanoWii
    Motors: Cobra 2204 1960 kV
    ESCs: KISS 18A
    Props: HQProp 6x3

MultiWii has been a big change from my Naza-M and Pixhawk, but I've learnt a lot and am really liking how the new quad handles. Now to start learning to flip while in flight...

4. eukaryote:)

Nah don't plan on autonomous photography missions, but it is set up that should I want to in the future, I can

Update

Flew the drone. Amazing, love it. Flies beautifully. (hovering looks like easily over 30 minutes, haven't measured it officially yet as need to add on a few more things)

Now upgrading it by adding fpv system for the photography part (hdmi out to av which i'll receive on the ground unit so I can move the gimbal around)

Gimbal. Lots of modding needed, originally for 2 axis but i'm working on making it a good 3 axis gimbal. Will be powered by storm32 32bit 3 axis controller with telemetry input from the pixhawk, communicating via mavlink to provide me with better stabilisation. Also will have one channel connected to the tilt axis for better control
    Has 4008 motors for the tilt and pan axis, and a 5206 for the yaw. All up weighs 565g (without the extra yaw motor would be 420g )

Still need to add dampeners which are coming (4 in total )

[​IMG]

Installed a ultra low noise switching ubec to power the video section and to provide a redundant power supply to the pixhawk should the primary power supply fail. Still waiting for the Zener diode to ensure it never peaks above 5.7v (the ubec outputs max 5.3v anyway currently, so not too concerned) but you can see already have the low esr capacitor to smooth out ripples

OSD module on the top with a 25mw 5.8ghz transmitter using a circular polarising antenna. Have a patch and circular polarising antenna on a diversity receiver on the ground.

Because the video transmitter is already running off 6s power, I might need a LC filter if the current draw from the motor makes the video ripple. I'll find out soon enough. It's not hard to make

[​IMG]

From last time modified the positions of the ESCs to free up some space underneath and provide better cooling. Still awaiting some clear plastic heat wrap to ensure the electrical components are all isolated as CF conducts electricity well and there have been a few reported cases of shorts leading to catastrophic failures due to this little known fact.

[​IMG]

Things to do:
    1) Awaiting retractable legs to install. Those will be powered from the 5v ubec. The pixhawk, receiver and pwm encoder run exclusively off a clean ubec from the battery with no other components on the ubec to reduce chances of voltage spikes and failures.
    2) RC shutter for my camera so I can trigger focus and shoot directly from the controller. Will also try get one that supports both still and video shooting options that are selectable on the ground. Now leaning towards a RX100III/IV for camera as it's lighter

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  5. vellanet

vellanet Member

6. SuperRoach

SuperRoach Member

Looks Great Vellanet and the Transmitter you have is the best thing you'll buy in a while.

I threw myself into probably one of the hardest to build models yet, a LKTR120. Here's an idea of how small they are.

Motors are stuttering a bit still so have ESC problems to work on.

But to get to this position took a few months as is ;)

7. damn duck

damn duck Member

There's going to be another drone race at North Turramurra this weekend.

30th August
    LOT 1011 Murrua Rd, North Turramurra NSW 2074

Go to sydfpv.com for all the details and join the group :)

8. damn duck

damn duck Member

This is on tomorrow and the weather forecast looks great! You dont need to be racing to attend.

Come along and have a watch! Don't go to bunnings for your bbq fix, come drone race watching instead!

9. SuperRoach

SuperRoach Member

10. vellanet

vellanet Member

Finally got my first flights at the flying field, this thing is gonna be lots of fun!

Immersion RC Vortex

11. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

I just came to the realisation that I live across the road from a wide open park and that maybe a quadcopter is something I could actually have a little fun with. :D Pretty keen to dip the toes with an RTF and then if I find it fun, look into building one up. I've had RC cars in the past, but a long time ago (before brushless motors and LiPo batteries were around).

What's the usual recommendation for something <$300 ($<200 better) that I could fly outdoors? Or is better to start with something like a Blade Nano (which looks more suitable for indoors).

I'm slowly reading this thread from the start, but I'm guessing the recommendations in 2013 (ie Walkera Ladybird and H107 Husban) may not be the best beginners choice anymore.

I'm driving past Crazy Hobbies this arvo and am keen for some retail therapy :lol:

12. SkyJoggeR

SkyJoggeR Member

13. Shepete

Shepete Member

14. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

+1 on the hubsan x4 (no camera).

Buy with some extra props and batteries.

15. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

So i was out flying, and i noticed the quad was semi-unresponsive, then before i could turn it around, it dropped out of the sky. It was a long way away, and i saw it was right way up, so i tried to take off again, it hovered a little then crashed. Went over to inspect the damage. Turns out the prop broke, and tore the battery casing. and now i've just realised the battery on the transmitter is low-ish.

So I suspect this is what has happened. Transmitter not outputting enough, quad drops out of sky, damages prop, regains signal and takes off, props breaks and damages battery, crashing again. oh and i lost the beeper.

So note for all, keep your transmitter battery charged.

16. eukaryote:)

No failsafe?

17. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

After running late at work, thereby preventing a spotaneous purchase from Crazy Hobbies, I ended up taking the advice given here, and ordered from DXAus:

Hubsan x4 H107L (no camera version)
    Prop protector 'cage' thingy
    4 Spare props (I wasn't confident these were the 'v2' blades so didn't go crazy on quantity)
    4 extra batteries and charger (which hopefully won't set my house on fire)

Can't believe it was <$100 all up. These things are stupid cheap. Assuming it's not total crap, these will be on the Xmas list for quite a few people.
    I just hope it doesn't take weeks and weeks to arrive.

Also it appears I'm about 9km as the crow/drone flies to the Airport, so shouldn't be any issues there (even if it feels like some of those A380s are about to land on our roof).

Silly questions, but it appears these all work off 3.7v batteries, same as mobile phones etc. Are the chargers just the same as USB phone chargers? If i had a 2A charger from a tablet/beasty phone will that damage the batteries at all and will it charge faster?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Why did you decide to go with the no camera version?

Personally I think that's half the fun...*shrug*

19. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

I'm keen to go with a camera one 'next', but figured a 0.3MP camera would be borderline useless?
    Also, no camera = smaller battery = lighter = more acceleration?!

20. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

With such a small quad with a crappy camera is there really any point? The hubsan is already pretty heavy, and doesn't need the extra weight slowing it down

failsafe is to fall out of the sky when it loses transmitter signal. which is what i think happened in the first place.

I think i need to flash the turnigy 9x firmware to adjust the battery alarm. Otherwise i'll just keep an eye on the voltage from now on.