RC Multicopter Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by sgtraven, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

Have fun. Keep it on the standard newbie mode until you're feeling confident.

Just a few notes.

- Quad needs to be on the ground to arm properly (took me a while to work that one out)
    - After it's armed, if the red & blue lights flash, that means low battery, so land it asap. You'll notice it's less agile when it's low on battery anyway
    - Battery charger is fine, i always keep an eye on it when charging though. It charges via usb. With mine anyway you need to push the plug in properly (it clicks) to get a good connection.
    - Newbie mode is on by default, which keeps it automatically level (and if you let go of the joystick it will auto level). "expert" mode is triggered by pushing the joystick in (like "stab/sprint" on COD PS3) - it basically allows you to tilt further.
    - I wouldn't worry too much about issues with flying, once you get out of range it just drops out of the sky. Maybe 60m range.. max?
    - Always have 4*AA batteries with you. The transmitter battery level isn't accurate. If the quad plays up, that's probably why.
    - When you get it, don't go mental. Just practice trying to hover, then "strafe", then circles, then figure 8s. I found for beginners only, using the left (throttle stick) exclusivly for throttle is the easiest way to get a grip on the sensitivity.

>Are the chargers just the same as USB phone chargers?

yes, although i havent checked the polarity.

>If i had a 2A charger from a tablet/beasty phone will that damage the batteries at all and will it charge faster?

Charging your batteries slowly will keep them running for longer. Considering you can get them for so cheap, it may not be an issue for you

Arming steps

1. plug in battery (red lights full/blue lights flash together) - put on ground
    2. turn on transmitter (red lights full/blue lights flash alternating = connecting/binding)
    3. when blue lights stay full, ready to fly. You need to bring throttle to zero before it will take off.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Probably not I guess. It's just for mucking around though.

3. eukaryote:)

eukaryote:) Member

Failsafe is so it does NOT fall out of the sky or continue from last known stick positions. That's why it's worth investing in a transmitter and receiver combo that supports this like the frsky etc

4. mtma

mtma Member

You know they invented this stuff for fuel RC choppers in the 1980's. I can't believe with all the fancy electronics on a quad we still get ones that just do whatever when they fail :Paranoid:

5. Azrael

Azrael Member

After mucking around with a bunch of mates cheap Hubsans etc etc and doing some much bigger quad and hexacopter stuff a few years back, im considering grabbing something for giggles.

Want something bigger than the Hubsans, and modifiable/repairable, so im considering the ZMR250 as they seem to be the go to for a cheap quad, and come in full kits from eBay well within my toy budget.

Thoughts on them?

6. fR33z3

fR33z3 Member

i've done some googling and haven't found any discussions so thought I'd try here as a last resort.

I'm starting to get comfortable with my syma x5c and i'm flying a little more aggressively. But it seems to have a problem with a certain type of manoeuvre:- if I pitch forward and build speed then roll a little and yaw aggressively (think kind of like a scandinavian flick in the air) - when i do this, the quad seems to cut power and drop out of the air. If I remove the aggressive inputs, I can save it before it hits the ground. I'm thinking either this manoeuvre is outside the designed aircraft envelope, or i'm hitting a safety mechanism. Anyone experienced similar?

7. SuperRoach

SuperRoach Member

You are likely hitting the angle limits on that mode, so in a way safety I guess. The kick back would be it going back to under that threshold.

8. fR33z3

fR33z3 Member

you triggered a thought in my head. I have a high/low switch on the controller. I flicked it to high this evening and I was able to throw it around a lot more. That and I think the throttle function either has a dead spot or isn't smooth, which i seem to trip over only when changing throttle while yawing.

I also pulled the camera and rotor guards to lighten it up, which also seemed to help a bit as well as giving me longer run time.

9. sjp770

sjp770 Member

Got a 3D printer, are there any frames you guys would recommend printing?

Also, whats a good budget 9 channel Tx?

10. curtiswwe

curtiswwe Member

Turnigy 9X is the default 9 channel. Look at the 9XR or 9XR pro, they have a lot of improvements (firmware port - can do this with 9X but need to solder it up, backlight). I think they can run ER9X firmware, which opens up a lot, including telemetry although I'm not sure how reliable that is..

Range is pretty good. I just bought this kit to go with my 9X. Increases range and enables telemetry (again, need some way to display this on your radio, i.e. firmware or screen..) and gives you a real signal-lost failsafe unlike the stock 9x receiver.

11. sjp770

sjp770 Member

Cool. I might be able to stretch to a 9xr, I'll wait to do a bit more planning first.

12. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

Got my little Husban x4 in the mail on Sat (although the extra 5 batteries and charger didn't ship with it - wonder if it's to do with Li-po and air postage?).

Initial thoughts are:
    - You get a lot of 'toy' for ~$80!
    - The tech in these things, for this price, in this size, to control multiple motors etc must have seemed like sci-fi a decade ago.
    - It's a lot harder than I imagined. Takes some serious coordination!
    - Very glad everyone suggested the rotor guard. I've flown it into plenty of things thus far (live in a townhouse) and yet to brake a prop after about 5 runs.
    - I need a bigger space to really try some maneuvers.
    - Those little props move a lot of air. I can't imagine what those big photography drones must push!
    - My wife does not find it amusing... :lol:

13. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

The little Husban I have 'auto-centres' (for lack of better term).

Ie if I give an input to tilt the quad and release the stick, it self levels. Is this what all the bigger quads do as well? Or do you need to constantly give inputs to get it to hover flat?

Is it common that you need to feed in more throttle when to tilt the quad. Ie if I am to roll to the side slights, the quad will lose altitude. Guessing this is because the rotors on the side it tilts towards reduce speed.

Got the extra batteries in the mail. If the wind drops off I might play a little more outside where there's a bit more room for error!

14. The Mafia

The Mafia Member

15. curtiswwe

curtiswwe Member

Yeah mate, the self-levelling depends on your flight controller. You'll find most racing quads are flown in manual mode (no levelling), whereas others are flown in attitude/self-levelling like your husban.

Flight controllers with GPS can usually maintain altitude in a 'GPS attitude' mode - I know the naza's definitely can but not sure on the others. Depends on what you want to do with your quad.

16. SkyJoggeR

SkyJoggeR Member

to add to what curtiswwe said

you can turn it off on the hubsan but pushing the i think its right stick in. will swap it to expert mode. this also makes it much more maneuverable to do things like flips but also doesn't self level.

17. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

Just a slight correction. It does self level, but allows you to lean further. The controller also allows you to "override" and do tricks such as flips (by bringing the joystick hard L/R suddenly - you'll do a barrell roll)

Depends which level you're in

Angle - Acts like standard hubsan normal mode, can't lean over x degrees (x=50)

Horizon - Combo of the two. Most of the joystick play is angle mode, however when it gets to the extremes it allows you to quickly flip.

Rate (acro/manual) - no self centering. If you center the sticks, the quad will stay in whatever angle it's currently flying in.

http://www.miniquadclub.com/naze32-flight-modes-explained/

yes, correct. At low speeds i turn using aileron stick, at medium speeds i turn using rudder. and at high speeds/sudden turns i use both.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  18. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

Thanks for the replies guys. All makes sense.

Next question... Assume middle battery is stuffed (and what is described as 'puffy'). Only charged it and haven't used it at all. They're cheapos from DealExtreme, so not too fussed.

Click to view full size!

19. simmo2302

simmo2302 Member

yup middle battery is stuffed.

lipos are not meant to be charged and left fully charged. if your not going to use a lipo for a while it should be discharged to 3.7 - 3.7v per cell (ie storage charge)

you will read on the net about people who try various methods to save a puffed battery, but all are extremely dangerous and not recommended as no battery is worth your hand, eye, house, etc as they can explode and catch fire if tampered with.

you also just cant throw it in the bin (same reasons as above) lipos need to be disposed of properly and safely.

20. kwax

kwax Member

Hey guys sorry I havnt gone though the thread yet.

A friend and I are both wanting to get into fpv drones.
    I use to be big into electric rc cars (counter steer drifting and off road traxxas) about 4 years ago so I know a tiny bit but havnt been up to date with the scene since then.

My mate has a few light rc planes and cars for fun and a dji that he uses for video work. he's heaps better at flying then me and loves tinkering with electronics.

So thats a little history on our experience with RC hobbies. We are both willing to spend upto 1.5k-2k

What are your thoughts on the The Runner250 advanced GPS Quadcopter Walkera? These guys got them for about $1300 with fpv gear

http://www.banggood.com/Walkera-Run...HD-Camera-Racing-Quadcopter-RTF-p-996000.html

should we start on these or do you guys recommend we start on something else/build your own?