RC Multicopter Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by sgtraven, Jan 15, 2013.

1. SuperRoach

SuperRoach Member

If anyone is building these, I wrote a guide for how to setup a receiver and telemetry with your flight control board. Partly out of frustration with reading lots of other guides and having to mix all of their bits together to get it finally working myself lol. The X4R-SB is a pretty capable and small receiver.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2573800

2. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Ta!

We've been playing with the Hubsan X4's quite a lot here. Great little units, very kidproof and I even crashed one from about 50M up onto the only concrete path in a park the other day and only cracked the outer shell which has no effect on it. I swapped my props over to some JJRC 1000/1000A ones from ebay, seem a bit tougher and maybe a bit more punch due to a bit larger blade area but no noticeable effect on battery life.

3. droopz

droopz Member

Fairly new to the UAV thing this year, but after playing around with an Iris+ for a while I bought another while they were on clearance as well as a bunch of motors, gimbals and various other bits.

Their LiveView setup was on special too so I grabbed one as well and got to have a play with it at the back of our place yesterday. It makes framing the GoPro a million times easier obviously, but the range was pretty shit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that the Iris is discontinued I'm keen to find another frame that is still supported and transplant the guts out of one of the Iris'.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  4. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Finally got off my butt and learned how Windows Movie Maker works, using some footage I shot in Ulladulla recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWVoJej0Dj0

(not embedding it because frankly I'm paranoid about the whole commercial flight thing, so click the link and fullscreen it anyway). :)

5. Azrael

Azrael Member

I pulled myself together a bit this afternoon from my sick/fever haze and built this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its a DJi F550 'Flamewheel' (suspect eBay knockoff) that a mate gave me before he went overseas. Was still as a box of bits, but was missing a flight controller. So i grabbed a cheap APM 2.6 off eBay for it and pulled the telemetry and GPS units out of my box of bits from a little quad i was using them for before it met a tree.

Still waiting for the APM power module so i can fire it up though, bloody eBay sellers taking forever.

6. tasmik

tasmik Member

nice location and clip droopz

7. Shepete

Shepete Member

Whilst incredibly impressive Agg, I can only shudder at the thought of any kind of hiccup or malfunction. A mate of my brother, managed to drop a $50,000 camera into Darwin harbour from some kind of "stuff-up".:)

8. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Yeah, there's always that thought in the back of your mind. But if you never get out there and fly the thing what's the point of it? :) And dropping it onto the ground or water from more than about 50M or so is going to have pretty much the same effect.

9. Coopz

Coopz Member

Noob drone pilots are ruining it for everyone else that likes rc flight. Local oval was always good for a fly in the plane or chopper but some drongo lost control of his drone late last year and it hit a parked car doing damage, he legged it. Council have now put up a big sign 'no rc flying at any time permitted, fines apply'.

I have nothing against drones, they are pretty cool but hobby shops and online sellers selling the large out door things to guys with money but nfi what they are doing are going to ruin this hobby.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  10. damn duck

damn duck Member

So? Fly higher and keep an eye out for any official looking vehicles coming your way.

11. ernie

ernie Member

The next big TV sport perhaps.

Looks funny with all the Geordi La Forge's standing around!

- Ernie.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  12. eukaryote:)

eukaryote:) Member

Pity Australia has banned FPV, meaning you can only practice in dedicated clubs at designated locations, or underground

It's the minority who don't follow the law that is giving lawmakers ammo to make more stringent laws

13. Billzilla

Billzilla Member

Almost completely False.

14. ernie

ernie Member

Nice clip.

One year I will build a proper drone, I have an FPV 250 racer but it's camera is only like PAL res.

- Ernie.

15. nibennett

nibennett Member

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  16. eukaryote:)

The Civil Aviation Safety Regulations (CASR) subparts 101 (a, b, c and g) outline the rules for flying unmanned aircraft although these are currently under review. They include:

1) You must only operate the aircraft in your line-of-sight in daylight. Don’t let it get too far away from you.
    2) You must not fly closer than 30 metres to vehicles, boats, buildings or people.
    3) You must not fly over any populous area, such as beaches, other people’s backyards, heavily populated parks, or sports ovals where there is a game in progress.
    4) If you are in controlled airspace—which covers most Australian cities—you must not fly higher than 400 feet (120 metres).
    5) You should not fly within 5.5 km of an airfield.

LOS. CASA does not currently recognise FPV from what i've seen, but (1) already immediately precludes FPV, unless you intend to literally fly in a straight line a few 100 metres, then right back and forth.

MAAA does recongise FPV though, but you cannot FLY FPV by yourself:

FPV aircraft must be flown by TWO pilots using a buddy cord system.
    The Pilot in Command should be the master transmitter and flown line of sight.

So your friend can see FPV, but you as the controller must fly in LOS

Again these rules are different in clubs and certain airspaces

Yes I know, MAAA doesn't make laws, only regulates clubs who are followers, and CASA statement is wishy washy at times, but seriously unless you meet very strict criteria FPV is for the most part banned under the current rules.

17. Shepete

Shepete Member

You totally supported the statement "Billzilla" made.

18. Billzilla

Billzilla Member

Yep, thanks for helping my point lol

19. eukaryote:)

:confused:

Apart from some very specific exceptions, flying by FPV is banned. I just wrote the clauses demonstrating this. How did this exactly back up his assertion that FPV being pretty much banned is 'almost completely false'?

Edit: unless you equate illegal not being the same as banned

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  20. Azrael

Azrael Member

How about you try reading the AC101-01 draft circular rather than referring to the July 2002 implementation.

Emph own.