RC Multicopter Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by sgtraven, Jan 15, 2013.

1. birdie

birdie Member

Looking at buying my first drone...

I would love to buy a Mavic Pro, but I don't have the money for one at the moment...

I have read that the Syma X5 drones are a good starter, I also then noticed the Syma X8...

Now I have a GoPro Hero 5 Black which is obviously going to be far better than the camera including on these drones, but I'm not sure if they would be able to mount it and fly with it? I guess the built-in Wifi on the GoPro would be the easiest way to get an FPV?

Any suggestions on what to get and where?

(complete drone newbie... I used to have a fair bit of RC gear before I was married but sold it all soon after getting married - mostly ground stuff but i did have a trainer plane and brushless heli that I flew a couple of times...)

2. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Are you wanting to do photography? If you're set on HD video for FPV, you can expect to pay big bucks for a system like a Connex. Your GoPro wifi has over a second delay and very short range - it won't work at all for FPV (i've tried and failed), however, you can use the GoPro with an external analogue video transmitter like on a racing quad - they have an analogue video output, and you end with the HD footage anyway. Otherwise cheaper DJI drones like the phantom might be the go for you? Second hand ones are quite cheap.

If photography isn't your game, you can fly FPV with zero latency and good range cheaply if you settle for analoge video.... Check out my previous posts in this thread about how to get into racing quads. Cameras like the RunCam eagle are approaching almost HD quality these days anyway! Learning on something like an Eachine H8 Mini before you buy a race quad will greatly reduce the chances of you sending it into the stratosphere never to be seen again the first time you power it on :thumbup:

That Syma X5 is only toy and you'd be lucky to lift a lego brick with it let alone a gopro. It probably is a good start if you're getting into photography, just to learn how to fly, but you won't get any good imagery with it and it'll be very fragile. The Syma X8 is a clone/cheap alternative to the Phantom so could be a good place to learn as well but I feel the need to suggest saving your bucks for the real thing. My friend has one and they are plasticy rubbish... The components themselves are good enough but my friend ended up having to transplant the guts of it onto a cheap 450 size frame because the plastic body fell apart after a few month's use. Motor and ESC upgrades are common for them too and will make it quite a good little quad.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  3. birdie

birdie Member

End goal is a Mavic Pro for photography... Not into drone racing...

I guess I want to learn to fly with something cheaper (to replace if I break it or loose it) and also see if I like it.

So it sounds like the Syma X8 might a good start? I have a 3D Printer so I am to print parts...

How much would it cost to build a photography drone from scratch? I love DIY, I love the building it, and statisfaction of having built it... so I am open to builing my own drone if its not going to cost as much as Mavic... :)

4. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

That's good :) I reckon go with the X8 (i'd grab one which comes with a gopro gimbal - there are a few different models)

For backup I'd grab a DJI flamewheel quad frame off Banggood.com for a future transplant. There's nothing wrong with the flight controller and stuff on the X8 so they'll be good to have.

EDIT: although:
    I'm seeing that a number of people have had to do motor / ESC / frame upgrades on them in order for them to carry a gopro... that could be a good idea.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  5. dohzer

dohzer Member

That Hobbyking Checker Robot #201 works fucking hard.
    Out of all the product checker robots - and there must be a lot if there is a #201!!! - he's always the one completing my orders and emailing me details.
    Three cheers for Checker Robot #201.

6. kjt

kjt Member

did you end up buying one birdie, any feedback review on it? (the X8)
    I've been looking at the same one to get started and mount a gopro on it as well.
    There are a few videos floating on Youtube with the same setup and seems to fly fine and is quite stable but will need to find a way to get the legs cropped out of the video :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlC6I_XoE14

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  7. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

having seen the Syma X8 in the flesh I'd no longer recommend it. It's cheap plasticy rubbish and has little tiny brushed motors and plastic gears which drive the props.... like this. There isn't a single component on them that would be useful if you decide to build something brushless.

The videos on youtube of people flying gopros are a best-case scenario and carrying that much weight will burn through those tiny brushed motors in no time at all. Save yourself the disappointment and buy a brushless quad.

EDIT: just so you know, I got a syma x8 given to me in working condition, albiet missing the FPV camera. I just binned it, it's just a children's toy.

EDIT2: if you just want a quad and don't want to front the cash for a DJI, you can get yourself one of these. They use Mission Planner to configure and parts like the compass, GPS, battery, ESCs, motors, etc, are interchangeable with regular quad parts. The frame is plasticy but it does the job for a year or so after which you can buy, say, a DJI flamewheel quad frame and put the parts on that frame.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  8. birdie

birdie Member

I went with an X5SC for a cheap drone to learn to fly and then I will eventually jump to a Mavic once I'm confident enough and have the cash...

9. kjt

kjt Member

i also have decided against it and have been looking at eachine E350 or MXJ Bugs 3, which for their price is very good with good features and stable flight + ability to carry a camera with no issues, as they run on brushless motors with plenty of power.
    I've been practising with the mini Eachine E50 drone to get a hang of it, and it's pretty fun!

10. birdie

birdie Member

Ok I have started with the Syma X5SC and I am really enjoying it.

I am wondering about possibly building my own custom drone (quad or hex). I am wondering if it is possible to build an aerial photography drone with similar features to a Phantom 4? (like GPS, long range FPV, long range control, obstacle avoidance, tracking, 3 axis gimbal) or by the time you add those features do you up spending the same sort of money?

Where do I start? I see there are things like the DJI flamewheel, etc.

I found this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RC-...-Controller-OSD-Motor-ESC-DJI/1963522640.html and this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/F55...7M-GPS-2212-920KV-cw-ccw-30A/32761005124.html

Oh this looks good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV9tztaQ0kI Anyone tried the XuGong v2 Pro or anything similar?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  11. anark1

anark1 Member

12. anark1

anark1 Member

ok tyrant 215 purchased now to look at parts, a youtuber i follow built one with the following parts, is this list a good start point?

Omnibus F4
    Turnigy IA6C
    EMAX 2205s 2600kv
    DYS XS 30A
    Foxeer Monster V2
    ImmersionRc 600mw
    Pagoda V2
    Dalprop Cyclone v3
    Turnigy 4s

13. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

hey bud. some quick feedback

The diatone frame looks a bit flimsy but see how you go. You really want 4mm or thicker arms
    Motors - go the 2300KV. The 2600KV are for smaller props and will run hot / draw too many amps with the Cyclones. But stick with the cyclones, they are great.
    Immersion RC 600mw this VTX is huge. Like, Xbox huge. I'd look around for such VTXs as: Tramp HV, TBS Unify Pro, Foxeer TM25 Switcher, FX796T, FX799T, etc...

Overall, a good list there.

14. anark1

anark1 Member

what would be the better choice out of the
    Tramp hv and the tbs unify pro?

i am thinking of going the tramp hv but i see the tbs unify pro seems to get alot of good reports plus its smaller.

15. kronikabis

kronikabis Member

Tbs is smaller, I prefer unify probably just based on that.

In terms of what you want... good video, I can't say I notice the difference between them with the same Antennas and power.

I'd take either over any banggood crap

16. anark1

anark1 Member

what recommendations do we have for radio transmitters for a newbie.
    im kinda leaning to a FrSky 2.4G ACCST Taranis X9D plus

17. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

These are the best. I use one and it can do everything from flying a simple race quad right up to a high-end camera platform with all sorts of advanced features and telemetry. Bit of a learning curve but there's plenty of material on youtube

A more simple one is the Turnigy Evolution which fits in your backpack a bit better than the chunky taranis.

Steer clear of Futaba and Spektrum, they are stupidly over priced for the features you get. By comparison, the taranis has more channels, more telemetry options, excellent range, better compatibility, equivalent or better build quality (plus you can get available high-end parts aftermarket, like hall effect gimbals), at roughly the same price as an entry level spektrum or futaba radio.

18. kronikabis

kronikabis Member

X9d+ or qx7 would be my only choices. Especially branching out into planes and everything else I'm glad I went x9d

19. anark1

anark1 Member

thanks guys looks like the x9d plus is the one i will get :)

20. isaakk

isaakk Member

Would anyone be interested in taking a fully kitted 650mm quad with FrSky telem, DJI Naza + OSD, long range FPV, 3-axis GoPro gimbal, T-Motor motors/props etc off my hands? (Image)

Gone are the times of larger hobby custom quads sadly, so not at all expecting much. Would only be after $400 or so (or less). Motors alone are worth more than that :(. May be convinced to part with the Taranis X9D+ for another $150.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017