RC Multicopter Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by sgtraven, Jan 15, 2013.

1. trevor68

trevor68 Member

2. anark1

anark1 Member

on a quad should all motors be spinning the same way or 2 clockwise and 2 anti clockwise?

3. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

2 CW 2 CCW. Diagonally opposite motors will rotate the same direction. The direction and numbering assignment for motors depends on the flight controller

4. anark1

anark1 Member

I can just buy one type of motor and swap the wires around to change direction or wire them up all the same and Change in the software right?

5. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

correct :) if you use all the same type of motor, make sure you get some with locking nuts. if they're all regular threads, the CW motors will tend to want to undo the nut

6. archie

archie Member

hi guys, looking for a basic drone which can do 720p (1080p would be a bonuc) video & stills.

Did buy a very basic $50 syma x5c and passed it onto a 10yo neighbour as I couldnt get the hang of it.

tried a friend's parrot bebop (can't remember exact name) for ~$300 and as it could do auto hover i found it very easy to control & manoeuvre.
    fully controlled by his iphone, the drone became a wifi hotspot or similar for him to connect to it.

anything in the ~$200-250 bracket with good video with auto-hover.
    little bit indoor use & some outdoor.
    either controller or android setup
    happy to buy from banggood or ebay etc.

7. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

in that price range there's a thousand to choose from, all of them equally crap. If you look around you can pick up a second hand DJI phantom 2 or 3 for a few hundred bucks and it'll be infinitely better than any of the cheap toys (some of which aren't even that cheap)

8. archie

archie Member

thanks mate, yeah even new $200-300 seem quite crap from the chinese brands when it comes to the video quality (its all washed out/pale)

9. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

I can vouch for the DJI models - I've got a mavic - hella expensive, but second hand phantoms should come in under $500. They fly really well. I took control of my mates Phantom 4 and got hooked. He was still auto landing it. I showed him how to land manually, and take off manually as well. Its a real blast watching the look on your friends face when his takeoff is a gentle, automatic affair, and I shoot it skyward to 65m in no time flat.

Phantoms are better for those with large open area's and a car, mavic's more for suburbia and people who ride a pushie or catch public transport - they fold up into the size of a water bottle when not in use, and easily fit into a small backpack, along with an ipad, ipad mount and the controller, plus a few spare batteries.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    archie likes this.
  10. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

Can someone help me out with this nice chunk of ambiguity from CASA - I'm about ready to pull the trigger on my first FPV racing rig, but I've been scoping out a place near my house where I can fly. There's a nice bit of parkland near by that has an adjoining baseball club, which has about 7 fields, and have next to no fencing on them - mostly just around the home plate. The field is completely open beside the parkland, and is hardly ever in use whenever I go by. I figure it would be a perfect place to set up two flags in the very back and use as a bit of a training ground.

So I get onto the CASA "Can I fly here?" webapp, and find that it's actually within a 5.5km range of a helipad I never knew existed - apparently there's one in the Metroplex industrial yards (YMPX) on the south side of the Brisbane River near the Gateway bridges. So CASA's service states:

Right, well the >100g thing applies to me since I'm looking at a 220mm frame with 4s lipo, but I'm not interested in going higher than the surrounding treelines anyway. In addition to this, about 1.5km CLOSER to the HLS in question lives the Tingalpa Model Aero Club. Which while it doesn't appear to be drone-friendly, has galleries on their website showing people with aircraft that are arguably much more of a risk to commercial aircraft than my dinky little FPV drone.

So if those guys can operate 7 days a week closer to an aerodrome/HLS than me, how on earth am I not permitted to fly? Interestingly, their location is within 3 different 5.5km rings, whereas my intended location is within one.

The other stupid thing here is I've inspected the area that this supposed YMPX helipad is located in with Google Maps, and it quite literally does not exist. So logic tells me that if this site doesn't exist as an active heliport, then by CASA's own definition in that quote I wouldn't be aware of manned aircraft operating from there... so... I can fly my >100g drone?

11. Cubane

Cubane Member

I have been getting into the flying again now the weather is a bit warmer. A long way off from the pros but pretty happy with how this edit came out

12. _zak

_zak Member

Just like it says, you're fine to fly there as long as you're not aware that the helipad is being used. Even if a helicopter comes in, all you have to do is land. If you find an airport or go closer to the helipad you'll see the zone and the advice the site gives changes to 'This is a no fly zone!'.

Alfonzo likes this.
  13. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

If you're flying with FPV goggles, you're flying illegally anyway - just a heads up. Otherwise, as _zak said, you can fly there as long as you land if you become aware of operations at the helipad.

Alfonzo likes this.
  14. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

Fair enough, thanks for the replies. Like I say, I'm not intending to go above the treeline there anyway.

On the legalities of goggles - I've done some reading to find if you're a RAPS and a MAAA member then you're actually exempt from that, provided you're accompanied by a spotter who has LOS visual of the drone during flight.

15. Cubane

Cubane Member

Another video with my new ImpulseRC Helix. Just some fun flying around not trying to push any limits too much.

16. anark1

anark1 Member

building my drone up and suspect the IA6c that i have may not work with the tyranis i plan to use, should i get a x4rsb to use instead?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  17. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Yep :)

18. anark1

anark1 Member

thanks mate.

19. anark1

anark1 Member

anyone using one of these adaptors for chargers? (ISDT CP-16027 power supply)
    im not keen on using a psu to charge my batteries.

or is there a suitable charger that will plug into a power outlet that is recommended?

20. Kevlarman

Kevlarman Member

ISDT make good stuff, but you can get a decent server PSU for a lot less than that. I converted a 1000W HP PSU I had lying around for free.

You'll find out that most decent RC chargers are DC only. You can get some that are AC/DC, but the onboard PSU is usully crap and will die sooner or later.