RC Multicopter Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by sgtraven, Jan 15, 2013.

1. anark1

anark1 Member

are the turnigy accucel or reactor any good? i was looking at these, as well as some isdt ones.

Could I maybe use my ctek car battery charger for DC power?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  2. Kevlarman

Kevlarman Member

I started with the Turnigy Accucel-6 50W charger, then upgraded to a Turnigy Reaktor 300W charger, and for travel, have an ISDT Q6 Plus 300W charger.

All are reliable DC chargers. When I use the Accucel-6 on its own I use an old IBM Thinkpad 16V laptop AC adapter, as it's small and the plug is an exact fit for the DC port on the charger.

When I want to use the others (or all 3 at once) I use the HP server PSU.

Isn't the CTEK a smart lead acide battery charger? I don't think it can supply a constant 12-14VDC that the chargers expect; rather I think it pulses the power to "intelligently" charge car batteries.

3. anark1

anark1 Member

cheers, i will look at getting a reaktor :)
    the ctek has a supply mode in which it can run 12V equipment up to 7A, so it should work from what ive read.

4. Kevlarman

Kevlarman Member

That's cool. You won't need an extra PSU then unles syou plan on charging at over 80W or so. You may need some adapters to plug the charger into the PSU though (or just clip the crocodile clips directly to the banana plugs).

5. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

If you have a DJI drone in Australia, you will have to take a quiz before you can fly it. As of February 14, pilots of DJI drones — the most popular brand in the country — will be required to pass a short "knowledge quiz" about safety in order to fly their machines. The quiz is embedded in a mobile phone app which controls the drone, meaning every DJI pilot will be forced to take the three-minute test, even if they are an experienced operator. There is no limit on the number of times a pilot can attempt the quiz.

6. vellanet

vellanet Member

As a RC Pilot with actual insurace through MAAA, I think this is good measure, I see too many DJI's (And other drones but mostly DJI) doing stupid things. To me the common sense ignorance level seems higher with the lower barrier of entry that a DJI drone affords.

vladtepes likes this.
  7. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

The test is stupid, but not for the reason you may think I think its stupid... :)

You can keep picking answers over and over until you hit the correct one (I got the last question wrong, the one that asks you which sources in Australia can you check to see if your chosen flying location is ok, I chose "Can I fly there". I always check this app before takeoff). I was breezing through the test, and reread the answers and notices all 3 fit, so got it correct on my second tap on the iPad. It should have a cool down period at least in between tries so new drone owners can't take a "stupid test, I'll just click the answers till I get the right one, and takeoff near this football stadium while a game is on" attitude.

So instead of breezing through the test and then taking off and flying with a who cares attitude, they'll actually get annoyed by it and hopefully learn responsible drone ownership/flying while they're at it :)

Did all my updates last night, took the mavic out for a quick test hover in my complexs parking lot, then noticed I had a damaged rear right arm, so it has to stay grounded until I get a new one. Seems my last flight, although I recovered into a hover from hitting a tree branch, actually did some damage. Forgot my A in my ABCDE's checklist (Aircraft, Batteries, Controller, Distance (from people, objects, vehicles), Environment (weather, CASA app location))

When it comes to others, I've never had any bad experiences - most are just curious, and want a closer look.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  8. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Yeah, but now you (mostly) know the answers. The test achieved its purpose.

9. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Thats the thing, it doesn't teach anything. you are given 10 questions, all of which are multiple guess. Each question stays on the screen of your device until you pick the right answer, so you can pick all the wrong answers first, then pick the right answer and then it proceeds to the next. So if Johnny comes home with or unwraps his brand new phantom 6 whizbang, opens up the box, charges the battery, sticks on the props and heads into his backyard, he's only going to be inconvenienced by the test for 30 odd seconds until it'll let him take off (unless he's in a NFZ, then he'll be really pissed:p).

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  10. Dalork

Dalork Member

The test system is still flawed to a point, I know a great deal of DJI owners that refuse to do updates because it often friggs up their bird. So their plan will only work on those that update or buy new from that date, what about the other brands and makes as this is only DJI? I do think the idea of correct education in the use and local law/s is very important indeed, there's certainly no shortage of silly people that don't help the hobby by doing the wrong thing (often knowingly).

11. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Mine is hacked to disable the nfz system. I’m just outside the 5.5km rule and not under an approach path. Without the nfz disabled, i cant take off in my backyard. It still runs the latest firmware, i just have root access to it, and can turn off the nfz. So I have to be double diligent in checking casa’s app and other sources before I fly away from home as I have “disabled the nanny”. Not to break any laws but I womt have the equipment manufacturer telling me when i can or cannot fly. :p

12. anark1

anark1 Member

ive got a few cameras i wish to test out in my quad but dont have a set of goggles just yet, is there a way a can see what the camera sees? perhaps in betaflight console?

13. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

not in betaflight, but the video is analogue so if you have a TV with that type of input, just hook up GND and the yellow wire to an RCA cable

14. caspian

caspian Member

the test works perfectly, in that the intention is to cover DJI's arse, nothing more.

I'm sure DJI's policy is to always update, if you don't do so then you're not complying with their usage policy. I'm also sure DJI's legal team know they can't control dumb shit people do with other manufacturer's gear, that's still not the point.

15. anark1

anark1 Member

16. vellanet

vellanet Member

What are you going to be charging with this charger? Anything big?

17. anark1

anark1 Member

nah just 4s batteries for my quadcopter.

18. vellanet

vellanet Member

Then I think the 240w one would be fine if its just running 1 or 2 chargers. I run about 4 Accucel 6 chargers off a 15amp Power supply

19. dozer

dozer Member

thoughts on the hubsan 501s? will be for a beginner so more flight control than photography, seems to be good reviews on the interwebs and decent price entry.

20. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Brushless motors, proper 5.8ghz FPV video, these are good features and if looked after it could be a really good little drone

300m control range is pretty woeful though, the LCD is really small, and for that money you could potentially pick up a phantom 3 second hand