RC Multicopter Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by sgtraven, Jan 15, 2013.

1. caspian

caspian Member

a couple of other local shops for you:

https://www.multirotorshop.com.au/
    https://www.multirotorverse.com/

the physical build is not hard, although a few pics of how people lay things out in the frame can help a lot with figuring out how you stuff everything in there. I think the two initial challenges are equipment selection and then programming, and the second depends a lot on the first. there's a lot of support stuff out there but knowing what hardware you're thinking of using would help, any thoughts as to gear so far?

lots of good reading on https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php, look at the multirotor and FPV subforums.

2. chrissara

chrissara Member

I am looking at a drone and in tossing up between Spark (for its value for money for what you get), the Air (in my view the bigger brother of the Spark) or the Mavic Pro Platinum (purely for the extended range and possibly slightly quieter).

From a photography perspective/video perspective not really overly concerned as to the quality as I will not be doing any editing et cetera.
    Noise is a minor consideration as is the range – that is why I have looked at the Mavic Pro.

However, I realistically cannot see myself flying the drone more than 2 to 3 kms (putting aside the FCC hack).

Being somewhat new to drones, having the advanced safety features is good – hence why I am looking at the Air.

Further, it is likely that I would use the drone to follow me when I go running (most likely around an oval at the local school). Hence, battery life is of some importance which leads me to the Air. (NB I will not be running around people – I tend to go to more isolated areas).

It may will be that the Spark is the better recommendation, but the additional safety features on the Air and slightly improved safety and tracking features make me want to consider that (as well is the range and battery life).

3. caspian

caspian Member

I have both a Spark and a Mavic Pro (not the newer Mavic 2).

the Spark has a higher pitched prop noise due to the smaller props, closer to a "wheeeee" compared to the "whoosh" of the MP. neither is objectionable, once you are 30m away both are all but inaudible over normal background noise.

the MP is a far superior platform for range, flight time and video. the Occusync control and video link is far superior in terms of both quality and range, and the gimbal is a proper 3-axis unit with faster response and proper yaw correction.

where the Spark shines is that it's tiny, much cheaper, and the batteries charge much faster.

I use my Spark as my go-for-a-quicky-fly platform, plus I'll hoon it around in all softs of of situations that I won't risk the MP (and I've hacked the flight parameters on mine to make it a bit sportier). it also packs down really well into a small case for travel. the MP gets used for "serious" work where I want nice video or photography, or long range work.

the only real advantages of the Air over the MP is the slightly better gimbal, the improved sensors, the slightly smaller size, and the lower price - which has now been offset somewhat by the launch of the Mavic 2. what absolutely cripples the Air for me is the lack of Occusync, which relegates it to being a Spark with a better camera.

looking specifically at your needs, the Air probably suits your needs best in terms of active track mode and flight time. the battery size, less capable advanced flight modes and camera quality will be what lets the Spark down. the MP's collision avoidance sensors are not as good as the Air, so using activetrack/POI intelligent flight modes where there are trees around is safer with the Air. just be aware that the long distance capability is much less than what a MP can achieve.

have you considered a D1Store refurb unit? https://www.d1store.com.au/products/mavic-pro-fly-more-refurbished-unit

chrissara likes this.
  4. chrissara

chrissara Member

Thanks for the reply Caspian.

5. omen_child

omen_child Member

Picked up a DJI Spark yesterday after having. A great time with my Tello.

I've been reading a lot about the Litchi app for controlling the drone, and like the idea of pre-planned waypoints and flight plans.

Has anyone had any experience with Litchi, and could they share their experience and opinions?

6. caspian

caspian Member

7. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Apparently there's some new drone laws coming to Australia in mid-2019.

Some of the existing rules for recreational drone users include not flying higher than 120 metres above the ground and keeping drones at least 5.5kms away from controlled aerodromes. However, from mid-2019 the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) will introduce a national registration scheme for all recreational drones. “All new and existing drones need to be registered using an online process,” a CASA spokesman said.

8. caspian

caspian Member

sounds more like a means of verifying that users acknowledge the existing rules than new ones. also no way of making people register or do the course.

9. crag_v

crag_v Member

Does this include the little quads one may use in their backyard - ones without gps or any autonomous flight equipment? Sounds like it may. (What I'm really asking is: if I had an FPV course on my property and a multirotor that never gets more than about 10 metres off the ground, is this included?) Seems a little pointless...

10. caspian

caspian Member

the article says for aircraft 250gm or more. for comparison a DJI Spark is 300gm, a Tello is 80gm. a 3" race quad with ultralight everything, a 1300mAh battery and no onboard HD camera (just FPV) might just squeak in.

it doesn't mention GPS or flight autonomy capability, or altitude other than max allowable. I'll guess that unless you're flying indoor (in which case it's none of CASA's business) then it applies.

I agree it's a nanny state law, because as usual it penalises the majority of people who aren't a problem for what a tiny minority might do.

crag_v likes this.
  11. frnak

frnak Member

From reading that article I'm sure what constitutes a 'drone'. All the infographics seem to feature multicopters but many consumer toys do not operate autonomously. What about fixed wing? RC Helicopters? Autonomous weather balloons?

12. coolroy

coolroy Member

Having had to explain to numerous wannabe drone flyers using the school oval on weekends that they cant fly there because,
    A, the school does not give them permission to use the oval for this type of activity.
    B, a significant number of them are flying drones beyond line of sight.
    C And most importantly the oval is within the 5km controlled airspace of our local airport!

Too many people flying drones with no consideration to either the rules or common courtesy, or respecting peoples right to privacy.

Now when will we see the fines & prosecutions?

13. Zabba

Zabba Member

These other toys are already regulated by CASA under other regulations. Multicopters are only new and were not included in any regulation. This exercise is just extending the reach of the umbrella to cater for new technologies. Nothing to do with nanny state law or anything silly like that.

As coolroy mentioned above, is all about fighting ignorance. No one with a brand new Christmas toy is deliberately wanting to do the wrong thing, but when the rules are not spelled out, then we have avoidable incidents happening. Otherwise, next time a drone is involved in a serious incident like the drones closing down Gatwick airport in London, then people will be screaming at CASA as to why isn't it doing anything to control these things.

14. caspian

caspian Member

the issue is not that the rules are not perfectly clear already. they are. the issue is that people can buy and operate a drone in complete ignorance of the rules.

it's historically been less of an issue with fixed wing aircraft, because to be Frances they're a hell of a lot harder to fly and keep flying.

15. frnak

frnak Member

We don't know the reach of the umbrella until CASA gives us their definition. Traditionally a 'drone' has been understood to be an autonomous unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV). The first drones were fixed wing. Multicopters have existed since the 1920's. None of this is new.

As always the devil will be in the details. But without any details it's hard to comment on this proposed scheme.

16. [AFX]Northy

[AFX]Northy Member

whats to stop you from just saying "I had no idea I had to register my drone that I have had for a year or 2" I dont think too many people are going to jump at this.

17. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Ignorance of the law is rarely a viable defence.

18. [AFX]Northy

[AFX]Northy Member

This I understand, Just wondering how they think that making this 100% seemly voluntary is going have people queuing up. Unless there will be some kind of fine for non registration?

19. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Is it voluntary? I thought it said all drones meeting x criteria have to be registered?

20. caspian

caspian Member

that's what it says. the problem is enforcing it, when it's voluntary compliance on behalf of the operator, who may not even be aware of the requirement to do so.