RC Multicopter Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by sgtraven, Jan 15, 2013.

1. caspian

caspian Member

the battery lasts about 25 minutes. it's not an issue.

2. coolroy

coolroy Member

Yep that was my concern, failure to understand the various inaccuracies of his/her drone.

Glad you were able to bring some sanity & technical expertise to the Party.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  3. Raolin

Raolin Member

Regardless of how accurate your drone telemetry is, the bigger issue is that the upper limit for recreational drones is 400ft above ground level, whilst the lower limit for light aircraft is 500ft above sea level. Anywhere that the ground level is more than 100ft above sea level you could end up in the same air space as manned aircraft.

It's the drone operator's responsibility to land as soon as they become aware of manned aircraft operating in the vicinity.

4. caspian

caspian Member

nope. seriously, what happens when the ground rises more than 500ft above sea level? do the aircraft just drive straight into the side of the hill? minimum altitudes are relative to local ground level.

from http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aircraftnoise/frequently-asked-questions/ -

Minimum heights are governed by Regulation 157 of the Civil Aviation Regulations 1988. This states that pilots must not fly over cities, towns or populous areas at a height lower than 1000 feet, or over any other area lower than 500 ft, taken as height above the highest point in the terrain.

I regularly go flying on the edge of the local ranges. according to a cross section in Google Earth, I can launch from nearly 90m altitude on the edge of a steep valley. that gives me 200m AGL a reasonable distance out into the valley, but the full sized aircraft still need to keep separation at least 100ft above my legal maximum, and realistically a lot more because I'm nowhere near the max height of local terrain.

and no, RPV pilots do not automatically need to land if there are full sized aircraft nearby at all. the rules say that if flying within 5.5km of an unmanned airfield or helipad, you must maneuver away from the aircraft and land as soon as safely possible.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  5. jcorney

jcorney Member

The lower limit for aircraft is 500ft above the ground in open areas. 1000ft in built up areas. Unless taking off or landing or exempted operations

Caspian. I wouldn’t try and define “local terrain” from a pilot perspective. You will be wrong.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  6. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Let's clear up a few facts:
    • Manned aircraft have right of way over RPAs at all times. Let me reiterate: Get your drone the fuck out of the way if there is a plane flying over, no exceptions. A plane will not move for you, and if it has to, and the police find out who you are, enjoy your day in court. Source: A fella named John from CASA was present at my RePL.
    • In Class E/G airspace, light aircraft don't adhere to many rules around minimum altitudes... I have seen with my own eyes planes below ~350ft, both sea level and ground height. If you're not sure what to do as a drone operator in this situation, refer to the previous point... If you think the argument 'they were below the minimum altitude' will be of any merit if your drone goes through a plane engine, you are mistaken.

7. caspian

caspian Member

I'll be producing the flight telemetry to prove I wasn't in the wrong.

8. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

you are really struggling with the concept of 'you move for planes no matter what'

9. caspian

caspian Member

there's no legal requirement to. I'm entitled to use my airspace, they're entitled to me keeping out of theirs.

I have no wish to come into contact with a full sized aircraft, and I'll do whatever I can to avoid it, the same as I wouldn't just run over someone who walked out into the road.

but if it happens in my airspace, it's their fault.

10. Raolin

Raolin Member

Thanks, I was going off memory from my RePL course where they mentioned aircraft rules were always altitude whilst RPA are AGL. And come to think of it, the example there was near a VFR route...

There are heaps of exceptions to that rule though.

No, the 400ft AGL limit is from where the RPA is, not the takeoff point. It follows the terrain.

11. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

it's not your airspace and you aren't as entitled to it as you think you are. You can't just read one rule that governs planes and assume that means you get right of way. Honestly if you cause a near miss you will get reamed if they can prove you had the time to get out of the way and didn't. Good luck

12. caspian

caspian Member

it's not a full sized aircraft's airspace either. it's CASAs, and they define who can use it and when. if I'm below 400ft AGL then a light plane shouldn't be there outside 5.5 miles of a strip.

won't be my fault. they're the ones in breach of the regs. I'm the compliant one.

13. jcorney

jcorney Member

And I’m sure you read the notams before playing with your toy to ensure there are no approved low level activities being performed. Right?

Given I have mates that fly under powerlines for work the 500 rule had many activities that are exempt from it.

Edit: I’m concerned how heavily you are trying to hang your hat on the 400 and 500 foot rule and separation. You’ve already had it pointed out it isn’t 400 from where you took off from, but vertically from wherever the drone is. I’m also concerned you don’t want to listen because it might interfere with “muh rights”. At the end of the day a 2kg drone though the window/intake/wing of a light aircraft has a very high chance of killing everyone on board and from your previous posts it is as if that hasn’t entered your mind and you’d just prove they were doing the wrong thing under your interpretation of the regs

ShadowBurger likes this.
  14. caspian

caspian Member

discussion over as far as I'm concerned.

15. jcorney

jcorney Member

Hopefully you learned something. Honestly I doubt it but live in hope

16. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I just want to fly a shitty $50 drone no more than 10m high and 30m from my backyard. I live about 4km from Moorabbin Airport, on a flight path. Basically, I want to harass the crows who regularly inhabit the large tree in the yard of the house next door, until they decide its easier to live somewhere else, with the owner of that homes permission. Can I legally do this?

17. daztay

daztay Member

18. caspian

caspian Member

nope, nanny state says no. rules say you can't even fly below roof height of your house within 5.5km of a controlled airport if the aircraft weighs more than 100gm. (for reference, that's about 9 20c coins.) according to the strict letter of the incredibly simplistic rules, you can't even fly inside your house.

19. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Incredibly simplistic is an understatement !! The trees are huge, like 25m high and 1m thick. If an aircraft is endangered by a drone flying 10m high, that plane is gonna kill me and half the surrounding suburb when it hits the tree, because hitting the drone without hitting the tree would be a physical impossibility.

There are tiny drones though, not capable of carrying anything or travelling far or for very long. For a 5 minute line of sight flight, with a drone under 100gm, is that an issue? I'll probably get in trouble for radio emissions instead :lol: :lol:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  20. caspian

caspian Member

the weight on the page says 12g, so you are legal.

just make sure that weight doesn't creep up though, because the law doesn't allow us to think like adults or make decisions on our own. :rolleyes: it will be your fault if you are hovering a 1kg aircraft at waist height in your backyard, and a Cessna runs into it.

watch the controller flight mode on those tiny whoops, it's surprisingly hard to adapt if there are in a different mode to what you are used to.