RC Multicopter Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by sgtraven, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'm not used to any mode, I don't and have never owned one. I doubt the one linked is the one I would buy either, there appear to be better, larger and more capable drones that are also well under 100gm. It's just a brainfart at this point in time, but if its legal and I can find something with suitably decent reviews at a suitable price, something I'd definitely like to do.

I just hate those fucking crows :lol: If their noise was even vaguely musical, I might feel differently, but its not the kind of bird noise you like to hear waking up in the morning.

I do have a broader interest in getting a serious drone sometime, which of course I'll need to fly elsewhere. In the short term though, chasing crows would be a cool way to wet my feet, so to speak.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  2. caspian

caspian Member

a much more efficient way of convincing crows to go somewhere else is a pellet gun. surprise, we can't be trusted with those either.

Ratzz likes this.
  3. omen_child

omen_child Member

I've scored a start at something which may turn this hobby into a paying gig.

Any tips to keep me on the right side of the law in getting things started? I'll obviously be trawling the CASA website in the coming days for info.

4. caspian

caspian Member

vladtepes likes this.
  5. omen_child

omen_child Member

My drone is under 2kg, so I'll be flying in the excluded category.

Looks pretty simple.

6. jcorney

jcorney Member

remember it isn't just the drone being under 2kg, it is also operating under all the other conditions as far as locations, heights, near people, day only etc etc

7. omen_child

omen_child Member

Absolutely, all of that is a given. It's not really that hard to comply if you want to.

8. BOB_LORDOFEVIL

BOB_LORDOFEVIL Member

Good to see a quadcopter thread going! I haven't flown for around a year, just getting back into it. Flying a TBS Discovery Pro and building a TBS Caipirinha 2 currently.

9. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

I haven't had a chance to get out flying recently - been really windy here whenever I've had some ''spare' time.
    So I've been spending all that time building a new drone forum instead.

We've had some work done to our house - new driveway and rear patio all concrete. Lots of $ (sigh)
    My plan is to send the drone up to take some new overhead pics 'for posterity' .
    The neighbours will probably think I'm up to no good so I might mention it to them in advance...

10. caspian

caspian Member

invite them to come and look and chances are they will be delighted. if you want to earn bonus points, offer to check for cracked roof tiles or gutters than need a clean.

11. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

I'd be afraid to crash it if checking gutters.

12. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Ratzz
    The Crows could take out the drone I wouldn't be at all surprised. They are bastards.

13. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'm thinking Dremels. Lots of tiny 10,000 RPM cutting wheels.. :lol:

14. caspian

caspian Member

you can see what needs a clean and what doesn't from 30 feet overhead.

vladtepes likes this.
  15. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

17. caspian

caspian Member

largely a waste of time feelgood exercise. the "licence" won't be anything more than a database entry, just an acknowledgement that people have read the existing rules. the people that will register aren't the problem, and this achieves nothing in terms of stopping people doing dumb stuff because those people won't register or care.

vladtepes and ShadowBurger like this.
  18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

The "education course" will just be a quick 5 minute online test going through the flying rules. Love to know how they are going to "manage all flyers".

19. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

lol

picture this scenario: witnesses identify to police a possible white DJI spark operating above a beach in a no-fly-zone at Coffs Harbour, where the beaches are all in the approach zone of the airport. The airport is shut down but when police arrive the drone is nowhere to be seen. There are only 1,600 registered users in the local area, let's say half of those are smallish white drones... So were they able to narrow it down to the registered pilot who was there on holiday from melbourne?

what a dumb idea.

I still don't get why DJI don't just provide a way to detect the drone's serial # or some other unique ID by listening in on the radio signal. place receivers around airports and bam, you have a low-cost way of reliably knowing which exact drones are in your airspace. Considering every dumb drone stunt brought up by the media has involved DJI drones to date, it's safe to say that's a good enough solution and would add at least some meaning to mandatory registration

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I assume it would be like driving and speeding fine, if a drone operator gets fined then it is up to them to sign a stat dec suggesting who the pilot is so it can be forwarded to them. But yes, I can see the complications with all this.