RC Multicopter Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by sgtraven, Jan 15, 2013.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Check out the Opensky app, will show you everything : )

I did find out today I can fly in the orange, just not the red areas around the airport, obviously. So that leaves a lot more scope for flying whilst still considering the height limit, not flying over people on beaches, etc etc. I reckon somewhere liike on top of the cliff at (south of) maslins would be ideal. Between those two beaches there no beach, just rocks and surfers, so would be ideal to fly a drone there around the cliffs.

WildManComputing likes this.
  2. caspian

caspian Member

drone and 3D heli are utterly different. with a heli you're basically trying to keep the machine from destroying itself at all times, with a stabilised multirotor you're effectively disturbing it from being nailed in place into moving where you want it to go. a racing or stunt multirotor is closer to a heli.

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Got to play with the Mini 2 today.....hellish winds near the ocean and at one point I flew a bit high and it was being taken by the wind and wouldn't automatically return to home :lol: I was sweating bricks! It told me to fly it manually, down low and guide back to home which I did and I was ok. Phew.

So I moved to a better shielded location a bit more inland and it was amazing. Sport mode is good fun. It was still windy but I was amazed at how still the final footage is, it's like there was no wind today at all. It does create some fantastic footage. In this extreme-ish wind I probably only got about 15 minutes fly time on one battery. Flymore pack really is essential so glad I got it.

Look forward to more outings :thumbup:

mad_mic3 likes this.
  4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Anyone know of a suitable extender for the Mini 2 controller for the 12.9" ipad pro?

I think it's the same controller as the mavic Air, but just wanted to make 100% sure if I buy one that advertised as for the mavic Air, it will be fine for the Mini 2 controller.

Would like one sourced locally too, as in Australia.

5. Hater

Hater Member

So, this weekend I went to the coast.

Took my Spark as per normal...

Left the controller at home!

Oh well, still want cool beach video so sent her up using my phone as the controller.

Got above the tree line (wanted it high up for top down + high enough so beachgoers don't notice it) and boom, disconnected :lol:

I must say, i've never lost it before. I use it -alot- and it's the first time i've relied on the auto-go-home function. It works really well!

Got the drone back no problems.

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Starting to go down the drone accessories rabbit hole now :p Any decently priced alternatives to the mavic mini FPV goggles? They've just released the new DJI FPV 2 goggles, but we're talking $600 iirc. Just way too much considering the drone cost close to that anyways. Anything else out there that is reasonable at a reasonable price? Don't need anything too flash, just functional.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021