RCAware HDMI CEC bridge experiences

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by <atomic_trojan>, Oct 22, 2011.

1. <atomic_trojan>

<atomic_trojan> Member

Hi All,
    I thought i would put together a little something about my experiences with this product. Bit of background before i get into it ;)

Although i am using a phone for keyboard input for my htpc i still prefer a proper remote to control applications. I had originally used a cheap hp remote off ebay with a usb ir receiver but i got sick of having to use two remotes (i have used the harmony 525 but i just didnt like it due to issues with power-cycling).

After a bit of research i stumbled across the RCAware HDMI-CEC bridge which would enable me to control my htpc with my regular samsung remote through HDMI...It is sold with an EventGhost (EG) plugin and seemed to be a good option as I already have EG properly configured for my ir remote.

It arrived in the mail last night after what seemed like forever (damn USPS).
    After about 10 minutes of screwing around and wondering why it wouldn't work i figured i had to setup Samsung 'Anynet' on the TV itself. It was then recognised and 'Media Centre' was then displayed as a connected device.

All i can say is WOW, i'm very impressed, i have yet to configure the power options but currently most buttons on the remote are configured for usage in XBMC and for navigating the desktop when outside of my media applications. The mouse has been setup and works a treat. V. happy with my purchase.

You may have seen a similar product which has been 'released' by pulse8 (the xbmc affiliates) which is abit cheaper although i havent seen any EG development so far. (it will be supported by XBMC in the future but nothing else is planned). The main difference between this unit and the one sold by pulse8 is that this does NOT have an HDMI passthrough and requires a seperate port (didnt realise when i bought it), it is also looks slightly bigger but not by much.

Although i have a very basic setup it says it supports a range of equiptment and it detects everything automatically upon setup. Have a look at their website for further info if you are interested. http://www.rcaware.com/

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  2. Joehax

Joehax Member

Sorry to bump on and old thread, but Google has brought me here (how ironic!)

Anyway, how does this work exactly?

I am looking for the same thing, right now I've got my HTPC hooked up to the TV via HDMI. Do I need to run an additional HDMI cable from the HTPC to this bridge/splitter thing?

Also, do you know if it'll work with Windows Media Centre?

3. OP
    OP
    <atomic_trojan>

<atomic_trojan> Member

your hdmi cable runs from the HTPC to the tv (as normal) but you run a seperate hdmi cable from a secondary HDMI port into the CEC bridge.
    the unit will detect all the hdmi connected devices during configuration.

Eventghost supports a range of applications through plugins or you can simply mimic keystrokes and shortcuts. Simply put, WMC is easy to setup...
    cables can be bought from ebay pretty cheap (mini usb and hdmi must be purchased seperately). Let me know how you go if you do end up purchasing one, i have some decent EG profiles to make config even easier.

4. URNME

URNME Member

I missed your original post.

I bought the rainshadow tech cec bridge back in July. I was using the ValkyrieTech software for it, and I was pretty happy with it. I believe this was before the RCAware version was available, and I hadn't heard of eventghost at that stage.

I have since bought the "conversion" to the RCAware model and can now use it with EventGhost. Mine is an older firmware, so I miss out on things like wake from sleep. Doesn't bother me though, cause my HTPC is normally on 24/7

I can whole heartedly reiterate atomic_trojins WOW. This is easily my best HTPC upgrade so far.

I can now control XBMC via my samsung TV remote. I have been able to map all functions that I use within XBMC to buttons on my TV remote.

Big Wife Approval Factor.

5. Jim G

Jim G Member

That looks awesome - very, very keen to grab one of these. Pending finding out whether it works with Mythbuntu - time to hit up Google...

6. URNME

URNME Member

The Eventghost parts are windows only.

There is information about getting the bridge working under linux but from what I could see, it looks like a lot of work to get useable.

This device was the main reason I decided on Windows for my htpc.

7. iconoclast

iconoclast Member

I've got the Pulse-8 one running with XBMC but am looking for something to get control of my foxtel box via CEC.. perhaps something like this with an IR blaster would do the trick.

8. Statts

Statts RIP

This doesnt work with Panasonic VieraLink commands, right?

9. URNME

URNME Member

Viera Link is Panasonic's name for HDMI-CEC.

So that would be a big hopefully...