Re-build PC

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jastormont, Oct 30, 2018.

1. jastormont

jastormont Member

Guys not sure if this is the best place to post this so sorry if I got this wrong.

I have a 3 year old computer that has served me well and still it but I feel the Corsair AIO water cooling loop is probably due to be re-placed soon to maintain a reliable system.

I have a Corsair Graphite 760T White case and I think it is a old Corsair H100 liquid cooler I am thinking of replacing. The CPU is a i7 5820K sitting in a Asus X-99 Deluxe (version 1) with 32 GB G.Skill Value RAM and Gigabyte GTX980.

The computer has been great has not missed a beat and I still find is fast enough. The issue I have is that some fans are starting to make a noise and wear out from use and I feel I should look at doing a major clean and refresh of these items to help keep it running well.

My question is what is the best way to do this as I have never re-fresh my PC. I am thinking it might be good to get a new case and perhaps a new CPU cooler? And if I do this what could be a good option now for my equipment as I have been out of the loop for a while with components? Also am I still best to do a AIO water cooler for CPU or go Air?

2. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Just take a vacuum cleaner and maybe some compressed air. Don't change the hardware.

3. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Refresh the TIM while you’re cleaning it.
    Replace fans where needed and consider using filters.
    Hardware upgrades seem like an overkill as you have said it is still fast enough.

4. museumman

museumman Member

on a plane with cocaine & yes im all lit up again
    I would do as /invariance\ says and just give it all a good dusting and wipe down but also would replace the fans if they are all the originally supplied fans. Something like the Noctua NF-12 industrials @ 2000rpm. The corsair radiator requires a little static pressure to get through those fins so the noctuas will do this quietly for a long time. You will take these to your next build. More an investment in quiet :) Save the upgrade money and spend it on quality fans and maybe grab a reasonably cheap SSD if you have some funds you need to spend :lol:

5. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Get some compressed air, some narrowish paintbrushes, some new thermal paste, rubbing alcohol, ear cleaners, tissues etc. Take the case outside and use the brush and air to clean out the dust, bring it inside, remove the cpu cooler, clean the thermal paste with alcohol and put new one on.

As most case fans will work for 20+ years, so it's more likely to be needing a bit of oil rather than replacing the whole fan. Woolworths, Big W, Bunnings and probably your local sewing store if you have one will sell a small bottle of Sewing Machine Oil for about $3, just lift up the sticker in the middle, squirt a couple times into the hole and that's it.

Leave it for a week or so, and decide if you still want to go through with a radiator & fan swap. For ~$20 worth of supplies you might not feel the need to spend $200 on a new radiator and case fans.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  6. OP
    OP
    jastormont

jastormont Member

Thanks guys for the tips and info. I downloaded CAM to monitor my system as it was my AIO CPU cooler that worried me the most and I probably should of done this first. The temps all seem good with idle on all cores around 33 deg what seems good to me. My computer is not that dusty as run filters and clean them regularly I just thought I might just refresh some of them. After looking at some prices and costs I think I just keep going as I am for now and may just put $ towards new system build for next year.