1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Re-capping an Apple ][ PSU

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by aXLe, Mar 6, 2012.

1. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Cool - do let me know how you go :)
    Dean

2. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

I'm currently working on a couple of Apple //e supplies (astec and dyna comp) and have put together some capacitor kits for these using high quality Panasonic, Nippon, and Kemet caps.

PM me if you have a //e that you want to re-cap and I may be able to sell you a kit :)

3. dc99

dc99 Member

Excellent write up...

I've been collecting / repairing vintage Apple computers for some time and replacing caps is probably the most common repair necessary.

A couple of suggestions,

1. There is a good reason for the warning sticker on the PSU. Don't tackle this unless you know what you are doing.

2. Always discharge capacitors prior to removing / testing them.

3. If you are going to the trouble of replacing the caps, use high quality brands as there isn't a huge price difference and there are plenty of places you can purchase them online (or a kit from aXLe :thumbup:)

I'm in Victoria if anyone is stuck and needs any help.

Also if anyone wants to sell / trade any working or broken apple ii gear let me know.

Cheers

4. CAESAR

CAESAR Member

where in Vic are you? might need some help with my apple 2

cheers
    Rob

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  5. dc99

dc99 Member

I've sent you a PM

Cheers

6. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Photobucket images replaced :)

Raptor_Eye and elvis like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    aXLe

aXLe Member

Since creating this thread I've recapped many of these power supplies, and variants there of.

Here are some references that I created over the years I've been tinkering with this stuff - I have a spreadsheet as well with more details here. I offer recapping of vintage machines as a service - Apple ][, Macintosh, C64, Amiga (all variants - if you have a 600 or 1200 that hasn't been recapped, then you need to recap it asap as I've had to deal with some nasty corrosion on those boards), etc etc etc. PM me if you have something you'd like recapped or repaired :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019