1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Re-tasking an old Acer Aspire One D150

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by DionM, Jan 29, 2016.

1. DionM

DionM Member

I've got an old original Aspire One D150 (Atom N270). I've upped the RAM to 2GB and put an SSD in it ... but it does struggle a little with Win10.

Main use is copying files from camera memory cards and uploading them to cloud (automatic sync) and maybe very websurfing, when travelling (mostly if we need to print stuff or access stuff off a USB stick). We have iPads and smartphones for most other stuff.

Thinking about whether swapping to a different OS might improve it?

2. miicah

miicah Member

2gb is pretty anemic, even with an SSD. Without changing hardware, a switch to a light weight Linux distro may net you an improvement; otherwise I'd try to get 4gb ram minimum in there.

3. cyberblade_256

cyberblade_256 Member

I wouldn't be expecting much from that CPU, that was one of the first generations of Atom which were single core hyperthreaded chips and didn't support more then 2GB ram.

As suggested a light Linux OS might be your only bet to get better performance. If you're keen on Windows try running through the various guides out there to improve performance like disabling services which are not required.

I remember testing these units when they first came out, they couldn't really do much then with XP installed but that was with a normal hard drive.

4. OP
    OP
    DionM

DionM Member

Yeah as noted 2GB is the max it can address, and the CPU was pretty light on to being with.

It ran "okay" under XP, but that's just too old an OS these days. My wife used to use it for travelling for her work, she used it quite often to write powerpoint presentations and give them (plugged into a projector).

I might try stripping Windows a bit, but otherwise a small Linux distro may be the go. Really it's just a glorified file copy tool these days - but it struggles even doing that under Win10 at present.

What's a nice light Linux distro for netbooks? Xubuntu?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  5. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Windows 10 32bit with everything annoying disabled and a lightweight AV, or Lubuntu 14.04. I actually have a custom image for this. In fact, I updated it not too long ago, so I should probably update my thread (see sig).

6. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Better off getting a card reader for one of your other portable devices for camera copying stuff.

7. power

power Member

The Atom CPU is not officially supported by 10 you'd be better off with Win 7 *32 on it imo.

8. Lem0n

Lem0n Member

Just want to chime in here regarding operating systems on netbooks. I've got an eMachines EM350 which has the Atom N450 and 2GB of RAM and have tested the following OS's; Windows XP, Linux Mint, Lubuntu and Ubuntu. Much to my surprise Windows XP is hands down the fastest in my personal experience and also the best for YouTube (the biggest strain on the CPU for my netbook usage).

I tried to believe the hype for a lightweight Linux distro coming to the rescure of my poor netbook, but the reality is Windows XP still runs better. I guess the advantage is the continuing support you will receive for a regularly updated Linux OS versus the dead Windows XP. There has been some users mention Windows 10 running okay on netbooks, so that will be my next test.

9. power

power Member

I have 7 on my ancient netbook - runs great. :thumbup:

10. Lem0n

Lem0n Member

Any particular version? Just a clean stock install or did you make any tweaks too?

11. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Wow, you've done exactly the same hardware upgrades that I gave to an acer netbook that we had laying about here. I was really hoping to use it for Onenote & Firefox for my TAFE studies, but fark me it's seriously slow running Windows 10. Sure I could install XP onto it, but there goes any hope of onenote working. :(

I just wish I could somehow upgrade the CPU in these laptops to a dual core atom, as I'm sure that would solve 100% of the bottle neck.

EDIT: Do you observe high CPU usage whilst dragging your finger about on the trackpad?

EDIT: Used the Acer One for the entire day today, whilst plugged into my mobile as a hotspot. Actually went OK! If only I can figure out how to activate Windows 10, as the product key stuck on the base of the laptop is being rejected. :( Pretty sure it's Windows 7, but is there away to check? (I have no idea where the original HDD is, as I swapped in a spare formatted SSD).

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  12. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Well, tried installing Windows 7 onto a spare laptop, and the activation states that my Product Key isn't a valid Windows 7 key... meaning it was purchased with XP as the primary operating system. :upset:

I'm assuming that this means that I either;

• Run Windows XP
    • Run Windows 10 in Notification Mode
    • Fork out $$$ for a copy of Windows 10.
    Fark me, I'll be the only person on the planet to have purchased Windows 10 if I go down the latter... but I sure as hell don't want to run XP either. :sick:

13. cyberblade_256

cyberblade_256 Member

Typically the Windows COA would say what version it is for. You could try installing XP and see if the key works with that, that would tell if it's not for Win7, could also be for Vista as a lot of netbooks came out around then.

But yeah the next step is to go out and buy Windows 10. Home edition averages for about $142 on StaticIce.

Another option is a Linux distro, there are plenty out there too choose from especially for low spec devices.

14. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

You can buy a way better laptop for $142, with Windows 7 (10) included.

FYI I use my old netbooks as a PBX system using FreePBX :thumbup:

15. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Yup, not cheap considering the usage I'll be getting out of this thing. Further to this, the Aspire One being 7 years old, the original battery lasts ~2.5 hours. Although I can't recall the original battery life, to purchase a new battery is another ~$60.

I just love it's form factor though, hate to see it go to waste. :upset:

EDIT:

Oh, yesterday I found that the cheapest netbook at the DSE firesale was waaay more responsive, having 4 logical processors which is the entire bottleneck with the Acer Aspire One. The no-name brand was a fully sealed unit costing $250, and the Acer model (looked like it could be opened and maybe upgraded) on display was $350. :lol: No really worth buying a Windows license for this purpose, as for $200 more you're getting better hardware, massive life on battery and removing the bottle neck CPU issue. Not too sure if the Acer netbook drive can be upgraded to a 1TB SSD though, as it might be custom. :lol:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016