Reading input text from keyboard in c

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by shihyuan, Jul 8, 2010.

1. shihyuan

shihyuan Member

Hi, all

I am going to throw another C issue that I am currently stuck with at you guys and hoping I can get some feedback on my code.

I have declared an array of char of size 2 and trying to read 2 char input from keyboard into the array using fgets but it only read the first char for whatever reason.

int main(void)
    {
    char input[2];
    fgets(input, sizeof input,stdin);
    printf("%s\n",input);
    }

The output I get is only "a". I read couple of text books and did some research in google and found there is nothing wrong in my code that I can see. Could anyone please help me out with this problem. :)

I just took up C Programming Language so that's why I am having so many questions. I hope everyone can accommodate my noob questions.

2. domlebo

domlebo Member

Noob questions are always welcome, because programming isn't easy. If you haven't got an account of stackoverflow.com do so. It is a GODSEND for questions like this.

As for your question, remember that C strings are null terminated i.e. if every string ends with a /n character (treated as one char). So to store 10 chars using fgets, you need an array of size 11 ;)

Also, you need to return an int.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  3. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

You need to make the array 3 characters long, to leave space for the null character.

4. OP
    OP
    shihyuan

shihyuan Member

Thanks for the tips. I have increased the size of the array to 3 instead. Upon reading the input I am getting a different error - Segmentation Fault then the program crashes. Do you have any idea why this error occurs. I googled the error and apparently it means I am trying to access an element outside of array size. Is that true? If that's true then how do I solve it?

5. SLATYE

Segmentation faults are very, very common in C (at least for beginners). You could try putting a printf statement after each of the statements you've got there, to find out where it's having problems. For example:

Code:
    int main(void)
    {
    char input[3];
    printf("Array created");
    fgets(input, sizeof input,stdin);
    printf("Input read");
    printf("%s\n",input);
    printf("Result printed");
    }

6. domlebo

domlebo Member

Like SLATYE said, segfaults are the bread and butter of a C programmer.

Your program compiles and runs well for me :S

7. SLATYE

I suppose that it could be causing problems if this system uses chars that aren't 1-byte.

sizeof <array> returns the number of bytes taken up by that array, not the number of elements that it can store. If he's got a 3-element array that takes up six bytes (ie 2-byte chars, as you'd find in Java) then fgets may be attempting to load six elements into that (12 bytes, which won't fit).

I don't know of any C systems that do actually use anything other than one byte for a char, but it wouldn't surprise me if one exists.

shihyuan: try just calling fgets as:
    Code:
    fgets(input, 3,stdin);

8. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

a segfault means you are trying to access memory you dont have access to. In C arrays dont have bounds checking so while a segfault could mean you are trying to access past the end its more likely not. segfault 99% of the time means you are trying to dereference a NULL pointer (If that doesnt mean anything to you yet then stick it in the back of your mind.. you *will* have that problem eventually :D )

9. OP
    OP
    shihyuan

shihyuan Member

thanks everyone for the useful information, I actually felt like I learnt alot. I have solved the problem now. Thanks again for everyone's help till next time :D